SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flfhome

Plant Home Alone for Two Weeks: 6ft Ficus Lyrata Tree in Gritty Mix

flfhome
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello everyone, I am leaving my NYC apt for 2 weeks for Christmas family reunion and trying to prepare my 6ft healthy Ficus Lyrata Tree in Gritty Mix for "home alone" in best possible way.

I would give more details about the history, current state, soil, watering habit,light condition..etc in the following. But first of all, I would like to thank everyone who put their heart and time into this wonderful forum.I have learnt so much on patience and mindfulness while observing and growing with my tree in different seasons.

(The shoot was took during autumn. The tree is currently standing 5ft from the radiator:behind the black side table)

12 months ago, the dying tree arrived my home in an unfit soil that I could only water once a month.The leaves were cracking and browning. I waited and waited(plus read and read) for the summer to come and finally repotted into fast-draining Gritty Mix that I could water 3 times a week.The tree transformed through time and has become much more healthy and happy since: the tree is still budding and growing new leaves in NYC winter! :-)

Ok, here're more details about the current state and my concerns :

● Environment:

1) Gritty Mix:

-25% Pumice + 25% Bonsai Block(calcined clay) + 25% Lava + 25% Monto Clay(1/4 inch Turface)

-Particle Size: 1/4 Inch (between 1/8 to 3/8 Inch ; excluding Turface particles)

2) Watering Habit: Every other day (3 times a week)

3) Planter: ceramic pot with one drain (sitting on several plant feet to keep air circulating)

4) Light: Standing in front of a large south-facing window.

5) Humidity: I run my humidifier most part of the day during winter to keep humidity above 50.

● Concern:

1) Currently the tree is placed 5ft from the radiator and since I can't keep humidifier running while I am away I was wondering whether I shall leave it even further away from the radiator?

2) And this would link to my 2nd concern: Some people seem to suggest to soak the tree(and let the planter sit in shallow water) and put it in a shade if one can't water its tree for one week or two. But I am not sure this would work with fast-draining gritty mix and would two weeks with low to no light harm Ficus Lyrata less than water issue? Or shall I cut off most of the big leaves and don't move the plant into a shade?

3)On Watering: With Gritty Mix, anything I could do to keep the water go longer without hurting the root?

Thank you so much for taking time to read and reply! Happy Growing :-)

Comments (2)