SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anomoley

Art/Decor Suggestions Please

anomoley
6 years ago

Hello Everyone! :)

We've had our linen Chesterfields for a few weeks (love these, most comfy things ever) and this trunk coffee table... but that's about all we have for our family room.

I'm including pictures here, the room is large (about 17' x 24'), and there's an entry onto the patio right in the center of it... so we're leaving the middle without any rugs (all the dogs will be running through the middle and they're guaranteed to have muddy paws at times).

The tufted lounge you see on the side opposite the sofas isn't permanent, we will be getting some type of accent chairs or recliners there (this is our family room so the comfy factor is a must). Any suggestions in this regard are welcome!

Also built ins are being built as I type this; they'll be white and symmetrical on either side of the fireplace... I intend to store primarily books on them.

My main reason for starting this discussion, is that bare wall over the sofa opposite the windows. I initially considered a gallery art wall there, but not sure how to make it work since it won't be centered (ends well just past center of the sofa).

Here's the wall in question (baseboards still being worked on, and wall to the left of sofa will have a built in cabinet there to hide all the electronics currently sitting on the floor, with book shelves over the top):

And here are additional photos of the entire room for reference... again, obviously unfinished...

Whole room (again, chaise isn't permanent... any ideas for furniture for that side of room would be great. Also, the pet gate with the purple blanket drying on it is obviously not a permanent addition either. )

Our style is traditional/transition. Not into anything modern or eclectic at all, please. :)

Thanks so much for your time and thoughts in advance!

Comments (69)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

I like the idea of the darker blues/lighter blues, and whites (patterns are fine) for the pillows. I'm not really feeling the gold/yellow with everything else you have in the room! lol. perhaps if the wall color was more of a white/neutral, the yellow could work. can you do some pillows w/blues/peach? that combo would play well w/the wall tone.

as for art, rather than just find a generic piece in the store, have you ever looked at Etsy? they have some wonderful artists who sell their work. very original and really cool pieces. some will even to custom work for you based on your own specifications. I think a nice canvas piece over the sofa would look best.

what are your plans for the right side of the FP? Is there enough light during the day to support any plant life?

anomoley thanked Beth H. :
  • decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Symmetry is not achieved when a sofa extends into a doorway. Have you corrected this issue?

• Related Discussions

Suggestions for Art, Please

Q

Comments (34)
    Regarding the entryway, I really love that you hung pictures from your trips!! Personal, meaningful artwork is always SO much better than generic homegoods stuff. I don't love the whole look though. I think the problem is the mirrored chest with the mirror over it. Altogether way too much mirror and too hard looking (hmmm I'm detecting a theme here. Your home needs texture and softness to balance the hard and the shiny). Also the way there is all the mirror/shiny in the middle, with the artwork on either side looks strange. Do you have a different chest/table that could go there? Maybe something wood? I feel like the warmth of wood could be very helpful here. And maybe that whole gallery wall might work better elsewhere, or at least not flanking the mirror.
    ...See More

Please Help! How to decorate with old oil art in contemporary home

Q

Comments (27)
    Love the cow in foyer - makes me smile & makes the “serious“ art less so. May be perspective in photo but foyer looks long a bit austere. A longer table would help? Or, a chair or something with that ”weight“ next to existing table & on the front door side (right side facing table). Agree Larger art would be good over fireplace & would like to see the large piece you showed up there just to see difference It makes. Agree the items under existing art should be removed - leave the pitcher & 2 pieces on other end. Beautiful home !
    ...See More

Art Art Art! Need suggestions for on or above fireplace decor.

Q

Comments (17)
    I post accessories because it would matter as to your art.... https://www.etsy.com/listing/915171928/18x18-throw-pillow-cover-thick-linen?click_key=00a9f6202d0d370c94866a7792e57679f5864f1f%3A915171928&click_sum=13fd9e20&ref=internal_similar_listing_bot-6 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- https://www.etsy.com/listing/877047017/william-morris-throw-pillow-cover-morris?ref=listing_page_ad_row-5&pro=1&frs=1&listing_id=877047017&listing_slug=william-morris-throw-pillow-cover-morris&plkey=2181f9bb37e207d1eaef8b9df895fd763e6e75b4%3A877047017
    ...See More

Looking for wall art/art-work suggestions for my living room

Q

Comments (17)
    I think an abstract landscape/water piece, with some color, would look fabulous there … and play into your wonderful views. It would also bring warmth in, while keeping with the very modern style of the room. I’d look on Etsy, on gallery sites, Ebay, and/or visit local places to find a piece that speaks to you. This is a prominent spot — I wouldn’t buy a big piece of generic wall filler. Art here could be the soul of the room. https://magazine.artland.com/top-10-landscape-artists-in-modern-and-contemporary-art/ I do like the idea of three b/w prints you posted — it brings to mind water movement.
    ...See More
  • anomoley thanked everdebz
  • anomoley thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    6 years ago
    anomoley thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

Blueberry would seem better, more soft a blue ?

https://www.houzz.com/products/desoto-chair-blueberry-prvw-vr~38918489

• anomoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for these thoughts, Beth H. :! I'll definitely try the pillows idea, easy enough to do and it does make sense! :)

I agree on the art, as well... Etsy is one of my favorite places to shop for just about everything, and I'll most likely be going there for my art! I just wasn't sure what will work on that wall as far as whether it should be a single canvas or a gallery of different size art... etc... because as you can see in that one pic, it's makes for an asymmetrical look because part of the sofa sticks out past the wall.

That entryway is very large, and makes for awkward furniture placement... but again, we love the symmetrical look of the sofas and they make sense for us in that space. That wall just looks off to me and stumps me, that's where I need help (primarily with the size/type of art that would work there, not specific art piece ideas -- those I'll find once I know what to look for).

The right side of the fireplace will have a built in to match the left side of the fireplace. I'll post photos once it's completed, but here's the general idea:

decoenthusiaste: That is the primary reason for my posting this question. I don't have a way of correcting this, it's just where the sofa has to sit in the room. It's also not an issue for us in any way; the entrance is very wide, and the sofa doesn't sit right against the wall anyway... so in no way interferes with the entrance. My only issue, is figuring out art placement on that wall.

I figure something like this photo below would be considerably worse where blocking the entire entrance is an issue (yet doesn't appear to be one for this designer)... maybe I should avoid art altogether?

• DH
    6 years ago
    the couch shouldnt block the doorway or anything where people walk
  • anomoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Designhome: It doesn't, even remotely. :) I'll see if I can post a picture tomorrow of that wall so it's more clear.

In fact, you can see here that the doorway isn't at all blocked:

• Kim KP
    6 years ago

I can’t ever seem to take a photo without my doggos photobombing either :). Beautiful room!

anomoley thanked Kim KP
  • Hamma
    6 years ago

The inspiration photo is very nice, so is your room. Not sure how one can watch TV with this seating arrangement though? Also, I think the drapes (the grommet tops) are a bit too casual for the look you're going for.

I'm a firm believer that art will always find you, *especially* when you're not looking for any specifically :). So, just keep your eyes open. I'm positive you'll come across something truly special.

P.S. The dogs are the cutest!

anomoley thanked Hamma
  • DH
    6 years ago
    look at the very first picture you posted
  • P Banos
    6 years ago

I liked those chairs too with the colors of your room.

I think stripes would work fine in your room, you don't really have any other patterns going. Though I might look for a square arm so all your furniture is not roll arms.

I'd do at least one floor lamp for each end of the room. I put my floor lamps on remote outlets, so I don't have to walk around to turn them on/off.

anomoley thanked P Banos
  • PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    6 years ago

Measurement in between your sofas and the length of sofa is key to get right scale for your space. Clean lines as above: iron with glass top (may not want to do this because of dogs), metal with antiqued mirror top or travertine top with texture and barly twist legs to continue the traditional feel.

anomoley thanked Jodie White Designs
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

That area rug is hardly complimentary to your new sofas. A bit bland IMO.

anomoley thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    6 years ago

Beth H. :

I think the sofas are a bit bulky for that space. Something like this looks better

Totally disagree with your statement. The sofas look wonderful in the space and are not too bulky at all.

anomoley thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Walnut Creek,,,and if you read further down you'll see my corrected statement of how I do like the sofas and perhaps it was the photo angle. thank you for your comment.I know it was important to get that out there.

• anomoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jodie White Designs, Inc: I love that table; and see how it would help to open up that space a little and tie in with the sofas much better. Thank you very much for that suggestion! :)

P Banos: Thanks for that lamp idea! I was trying to decide whether I should have lamps next to each of the sofas (on the side of the eventual builtins); what are your thoughts on this? Same type of lamp next to the sofas? Mix it up to break up the symmetry? Or maybe go with just one lamp next to one of the sofas, and then the other lamp on the other side of the room? I'll keep an eye out for some nicely patterned chairs, hopefully will come across something similar to the ones in that photo!

Designhome: As promised, attaching some more photos of the room from different angles, to show that the sofa doesn't in any way block the entrance. Keep in mind that when a photo is taken from the far right corner of the room (builtin side to the left of the fireplace), it looks the way it does in the first photo I posted on this thread (herein lies the picture dilemma on that wall - it would be hard to center over the sofa).

OH - also removed the gold toned pillows and throw as suggested in these:

Took this to show the space between wall and sofa; pictures make it appear as though there's no space around them, when there is actually plenty (excuse the piece of baseboard back there)...

As you can see in that second shot, I repositioned the rug as Olychick suggested, and I really love the difference! Thank you so much, Olychick ! Here's the original angle with the rug repositioned...

Last note: I've photoshopped a painting onto the original image I posted with the gold accessories - I'm attaching it here, with a question: If the art we choose to use ends up having gold tones in it, would the gold accessories then work... OR do brighter blue ones still look better (I've photoshopped that here too as you'll see)...

Gold:

Blue:

Just trying to decide if I should wait to find the art that'll go in that space before swapping out all the accents.

Thank you everyone for all your thoughts, truly appreciate your time. :)

• everdebz
    6 years ago

No one else right now - yes for art, then the others.

• DH
    6 years ago
    everdebz
    im confused... lol

okay anomoley i see now what you mean
    it was an optical illusion so to say
  • anomoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here's the original image with that tapestry everdebz linked. I think it really helps tie in the golds. I think I need to get lighter blue pillows instead of the navy and maybe go from there?

• Olychick
    6 years ago

I think you could switch out one of the dark blue for lighter blue, but I don't think you have to....the dark adds some interest and contrast.

anomoley thanked Olychick
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

With the rug's change in direction, I would suggest moving the sofas back a little bit.
    Frankly, I like the rug better the way it was originally, perhaps because it shows the pattern more. With a bit of gold in the rug and some other gold accents (painting?) in the room, I now like the gold pillows and throw, which gives warmth to the room. With an Oriental carpet a coffee table such as those shown above, where you can see underneath, is much more flattering, and unfortunately the one you have looks dark and heavy sitting there in the middle of the room. The eye moves to that bulky, dark object and stays there rather than letting the eye circle around the room. I still feel that the pillows, which I understand are dark blue rather than black, are too dark against the light couches and light carpet. I like that style of couch because it's very comfortable, but it also looks good. I think when all is said and done you'll have a beautiful room. I'm still not crazy about the wall color, but the white built-ins will help to make it look less prominent, and the important think is that you like it. I think art will make a big difference in this room, as will books.

anomoley thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Olychick
    6 years ago

I just noticed the change in the rug. I do like it! I would try scootching the couches apart a bit more, though. Makes the coffee table a bit of a challenge to reach though. I see that it's new, but wondering if you might be able to use it at the other end of the room somehow and get something lighter that won't block the view of the fireplace. Maybe some brass and glass tables that could easily be pulled closer to either (or both couches if you have two tables) when needed for setting something down. Or nesting tables?

I like this idea that Beth posted, too. It looks like two narrow benches; one could be pulled toward each couch for feet or placement of drinks on a tray when needed.

• P Banos
    6 years ago

I wouldn't do two matching lamps next to the sofas. That's a lot of matching. Think a little symmetry with mismatching like the two dogs!

You do want to light both ends of the room for sure. Overhead lighting can be stark, the floor/table/sconce lights make the room welcoming. And try the remote outlets, it makes lamps easy to deal with.

anomoley thanked P Banos
  • anomoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree completely with everyone who's told me to change the coffee table! The table we have here now is actually not at all new, and it belongs in the other room next to the leather Chesterfield we have... but here, I absolutely agree that an open, "airy" looking table will look way better. I'm looking for one for sure!

Will keep everyone in the loop and update this thread once the builtins are completed and/or once I've changed the table, and I'll keep looking for the art, too.

Thank you again to all of you for your time and thoughts! :)

• kjoy1
    6 years ago

I like your blue drapes. I think it would be nice to repeat that color in your art above the sofa on the other side of the room.

anomoley thanked kjoy1
  • anomoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I LOVE your ideas, kjoy1! I don't know why I didn't think of a console table with lamps behind the sofa on that side, looks beautiful in that pic! And then I could get a complementary floor lamp next to the other sofa. LOVE!! =D

I also like the pillows you have there and see how they'd help tie everything together. Awesome!!

Thank you so much for your ideas! <3

• anomoley thanked kjoy1
  • anomoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Updating this thread with some current photos of our family room. The builtins wall is now complete (outside of more decor; we still have some books in storage), and I love it! :)

I'm searching for the perfect console table to go behind the sofa, along with lamps and art to place on that wall.

If anyone has specific ideas for lighting in this space (floor and table lamps), that'd be great; there are lots of shadows in the builtins at night, which bother us.

Once this side is fully complete, I'll shift my focus to the other side of the room (the lounge that's still there will have to go, and be replaced with some other seating... I'll photograph that side of the room at that point).

Thanks to all who've provided thoughts and opinions so far. <3

This is the space (behind sofa) where console table will go...

I posted before/afters on the dedicated sub forum just for fun; I'll repost a before photo of this room here, too:

• Olychick
    6 years ago

Beautiful! Such a difference from your before pics.

I think I'd put two lamps on your console table, making sure they are tall enough to cast a good amount of light, then add a floor lamp behind, or next to the other sofa. Be sure to post pics again. it's fun to see the progress.

• PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    6 years ago

You are doing a wonderful job at transitioning the space.. What is the height of sofa and the width?

• anomoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Olychick: Thanks for your kind words! I'm thinking that as well... a console behind sofa, two lamps on top of it, and a table lamp on the other side. :)

Jodie White Designs, Inc: Thank you very much, Jodie. The sofa dimensions are as follows:

31'' H x 98'' W x 41'' D

• PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    6 years ago

Mallory Sofa Table by Hammary, Brushed Nickel · More Info

• PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    6 years ago

Depends on lamps as artwork going over the table but decide on table first.

• anomoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jodie White Designs, Inc: Thank you so much, Jodie! I was looking a table that's very similar to that one... glad to know I'm on the right page! :)

I'll need to start getting some idea of the style of lamps; will browse and see what appeals to me and would appreciate any feedback, as well.

I'll post up once the table is in place either way. Thanks again!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    6 years ago

Love what you have done so far. Looking splendid.

anomoley thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • anomoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Okay, updating with some new photos - console table is in, as are the lamps, and we've added a bench (super convenient and we love it there).

Please help me with the art behind the sofa; it's driving me up the wall!

The piece I put between lamps is a place holder, it works color-wise but the size looks wrong to me and I'm basically back to the dilemma which prompted the start of this thread: I don't know what size/shape/type of art will work on that wall, it looks so out of balance because of where the sofa is in relation to the wall.

I love the look of the two lamps behind the sofa; it's just that when there's art between them, it throws off the balance of that wall to my eye.

Should my art be taller than it is wide (portrait), is that it? Would a gallery wall be better? You all have been super helpful so far, so I appreciate any thoughts and ideas. :)

Closer up...

Other side of the room the way it looks presently...

• P Banos
    6 years ago

Your room looks lovely!

I think the art is too small, and I'd like it to add a dash of color to the room. It doesn't balance the mass of the shelves and the large lamps.

I'm going to try and look for ideas...

anomoley thanked P Banos
  • P Banos
    6 years ago

Not the art, but the scale:

Apples & Couch · More Info

Traditional Living Room · More Info

anomoley thanked P Banos
  • Rawketgrl
    6 years ago

It is really coming together! This is giving me inspiration for my blue, gray, white room.

Consider a portiere curtain on the wall opening. It would soften the edge where the couch slightly over laps the opening. From simple to grand they area great way to add texture/color/luxury, and keep out cold drafts in winter!

anomoley thanked Rawketgrl
  • Olychick
    6 years ago

It just keeps getting prettier!

• anomoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

P Banos: Thank you for your thoughts; I agree, I initially wanted a much larger piece there!! I just couldn't figure out how to make it work with the lamps. They would end up blocking the art. I can't move them much further apart because the right one would end up right at the corner of that wall, which would look off. Is it okay to have them block the art in this scenario?

I'll photoshop three examples (same random painting I happened to screenshot) ... you tell me where I'm wrong in size/placement (keeping in mind the lamps can't be moved apart much further); do any of these work?

Largest size, not centered over sofa but centered on the wall...

Still large, but a bit smaller to allow for centering over sofa (still blocked by lamps)...

Narrower width, portrait orientation (width would have to be just a bit wider than the current painting to somewhat fit between lamps)...

Thoughts?

• anomoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Rawketgrl: Love the look of these gorgeous portieres! Something to consider for sure, will think on this! Thanks so much! =o))

• User
    6 years ago

You have designed a GORGEOUS room! I really like the biggest picture in this last post. Your room is big in a very grand way, so big, I think, is the way to go.

and your pups are gorgeous too :)

anomoley thanked User
  • P Banos
    6 years ago

The last one, the tall portrait shape. It gives height to the room and balances with the shelves.

I've added some large oil paintings to my home in the last year, and really love them. We shopped local galleries and art fairs, which was fun. Of course this is more $ than a print (although I did negotiate for about 20%). But you could keep in mind for the future if you've spent your budget with all the fantastic changes already made.

anomoley thanked P Banos
  • anomoley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Will start looking for a large piece I love! Thank you so much for your help! :))

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    6 years ago

Beautiful make over, Love it all!

anomoley thanked GardenHo_MI_Z5