SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flatcrock

Progress on our 150+ year old small-town home

Lew Bryson
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My wife and I are remodeling a house in small-town central Pennsylvania. The house dates back to at least 1861, according to the earliest town maps we can find.

There's a basement that opens on the sidewalk of Main Street; a first floor with a main entrance, two front rooms, a laundry and full bath, and a kitchen that we haven't done anything with yet and a family room/addition in back that we've done some work in; a second floor with two bedrooms and the main bathroom; and a third floor attic that's been converted into dormitory-type beds. A first-floor foyer (pictured below) and full-house stairwell tie everything together.

The house is a weekend/vacation place for now, and is going to be our retirement home (we're in our mid-late 50s). As the year's drawing to a close, new siding and a rebuilt wraparound elevated porch are nearing completion.

I did a slideshow with some before and after pictures, and wanted to share. We're ready to enjoy what we have for a while, take a breath (and save some more cash!), and settle in to plan the next phase.

Slideshow (Music is Holst's 1st Suite for Military Band, 1st Movement: Chaconne)

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County