SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahappycamper

Thick cardboard, similar negative effects as fabric?

ahappy camper zone10
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

After going through countless threads on landscape fabric, I've concluded that most consider it bad for soil because it messes with gas exchange, oxygen, bio life(I'm completely open and appreciative to hearing opposing opinions and studies too).

My question is if I lay resilient and thick(some of it has that shiny coating on it) cardboard and biodegradable materials like old blankets, t shirts, even large wooden slabs, burlap bags, so thickly to the point where it will take years and even decades to degrade, am I also at risk, even a little, of subjecting my soil to those same negative suffocation effects that are associated with landscape fabric? I would think that even with biodegradable materials like cardboard, laying thickly enough would suffocate soil the way fabric would and produce some nasty anaerobic effects that fabric allegedly causes

I'm using a lot of hardscape and rocks in my yard and I Have to keep the rock and soil layers separate while sniffing weeds but I want to keep the soil as healthy as possible because I am also planting in the areas with hardscape. I know it sounds contradictory And sort of unreasonable because in looking for two things that cancel each other out

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert