SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
handledbucket

Are these spider mites on my black prince?

I think over the past month or two I have been seeing what looked like "dust" on my echeveria black prince. I thought I had inspected the dust and thought that it was just dirt and dust particles from my fan. Perhaps I didn't inspect closely enough, I'm not sure why I didn't or why I didn't spray with alcohol as a precaution. I didn't see any evidence of mealy bugs. A few days ago I noticed that the inner leaves of the plant were starting to dry up and I reached the conclusion that the two new plants that were growing were happening due to a damaged growth point. (the under leaves have also been drying up since August.)

You can see other pics of my plant in a previous post, but I am posting a new post in urgency. I think my plant may have spider mites. I hadn't noticed much of the "dust" on my plant in recent weeks and suddenly today I noticed something bigger. I zoomed in with my phone and what I see now is absolutely bugs and to me, they do not look like mealy bugs, but potentially spider mites. One of them I saw clearly climbing on the leaf, moving fairly quickly across one smallish leaf.

Can sometime please help me identify this bug? If it is spider mites where did they come from? Can they be dormant for some time? My plants havent been outside in a month and prior to that I would sit them outside during sunny days. More importantly, if they are spider mites, is my best course of action to just toss out the plant? I'm aware they can be very difficult to get rid of. I am pretty worried about my other plants since this sits next to them.

Here are some photos:

center of plant. No bugs that I see. It is wet bc I sprayed with alcohol.

More bugs

this next photo is the same photo above, just cropped.

I can try to crop further if it would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional