SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dandyrandylou

Guy - Guy - Guy -.........WHY ??? !!!

dandyrandylou
6 years ago

Will someone kindly explain the appeal for this bodily adorned person who is neither a chef nor even a cook and yet has several shows on the cook channel? Yes, his shows can be turned off but, even so, his annoying ads continually pop up on the good cook shows as if there's no possible way to avoid him. Who keeps the interest going for his shows that IMHO demean the good chefs and their programs?

Comments (27)

• anoriginal
    6 years ago

AMEN!! i don't get the fan loyalty for someone with 90% RERUNS to watch?? he's one of the last who won food networks next chef competition. i'm envious of his massive outdoor kitchen at his house. i find his phrases (money, off the hook, etc) to be very middle school teen and he obviously is not. does his fan base just sit mindlessly in front of the TV?

bring back ALTON BROWN!! and NOT in some other competition type show. i understand "Good Eats" is coming back in 2018... in some form.

• tvq1
    6 years ago

YES! I find him so incredibly annoying, and I definitely agree about his juvenile vocabulary. I can't even stand to watch the commercials for his show!

I would be thrilled if Alton Brown came back--I always learn something useful from his show.

• Related Discussions

Good guys/bad guys?

Q

Comments (4)
    They aren't 'lighting up' by any chance are they? They look almost kinda like the lightening bugs we get here in Missouri --- maybe a cousin??
    ...See More

Good guys or bad guys?

Q

Comments (11)
    Thank you both! Hydrophyllum virginianum's flowers looks a lot like allium cernuum (which I have). As far as the possible juniper seeding-- it is pretty stiff and prickly. Is there any way to know if it'll be the ground cover kind or a tree? And if it's ground cover, would it completely overtake the hostas, blue mistflower, lilies, etc? I guess I'll keep it and see what it grows up to be. But if it will be a tree for sure, then I'll need to pluck it out.
    ...See More

Catepillar on my tomatoes - good guys or bad guys?

Q

Comments (2)
    Well, you've already learned from your other threads w/these same pictures that that's the tobacco hornworm. Eats huge amounts of leaves. At the size it is, will soon shift into becoming an adult moth.
    ...See More

Hey guys.. I'm freaking out about how "tinner" (hvac) guys ran duct

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks for the suggestion mama_goose. Unfortunately, all those together won't fit in the wall or would be visible outside the wall. I think I'm going to contact a sheet metal fabricator this week about building something custom for me. I saw a dryer vent at lowes today like this http://mobile.appliancezone.com/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=27&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2v2sBRCazKGu3tSFz64BEiQAKIE1hrUqGkCzH9CteW0uzwboZ0V4dncYi52xzIoiJIx5WSIaApw48P8HAQ and I think something like this would work fine. Just build it where I could cut the bottom of the ducting off and slide it over. The hole would likely have to be offset, but if they're fabricating it, I'm sure we could get it to work.
    ...See More
  • amylou321
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The entirety of the show lineup on that channel has gone to crap. I used to have it set on the food network all day because I like to have something on tv while i sleep. It was soothing. Now you've got this screaming doofus who looks ridiculous in his quest to look like a young cali surfer dude. I mean, the man is almost 50, stop bleaching your hair man,no male does that anymore. I do sometimes enjoy DDD,but its been overplayed IMO. But he's among friends. Just look at the rest of the foolishness on now. You've got that show, "The Kitchen" which is 4 obnoxious spazes hooting and hollering and laughing too hard to an empty studio with canned laughter. Bobby Flay and the food network have tried to turn cooking a meal into a cage fight for crying out loud. (I always rolls my eyes at cooking "smack talk"-"I mean really??) And I get very out of sorts when I see a celebrity of any kind get a cooking show,which is a new trend. I read an article once written by someone who works behind the scenes(or used to) and it's just as suspected,none of these celebrities can cook, they have a meal prepared already just in case they burn it,and they need a script and rehearsal because they have no idea what to do. Im tired of guy,giada, all those idiots on the kitchen. I want more Ina,more Alton(even though he has turned into somewhat of an arrogant @$$),more pioneer woman, and please bring back the two fat ladies, they would have wrung Guy through the wringer if they were alive to see him today. I could watch their reruns all day ,and often do on Amazon video.

I do like chopped,but get extremely mad when one of those judges says(and they ALWAYS do) that a dessert is too sweet. Hey, it's dessert. It's supposed to be sweet. Get a cheese plate if you don't want sweet.

• anoriginal
    6 years ago

"The Kitchen"... pretty sure that came about AFTER "The Chew". thinking food network thought that show would never get off the ground and when it did they tried to get in on that action. Michael Simon's laugh is beyond annoying. and that Katie person's voice is like nails on blackboard.

used to look forward to holiday cooking specials... like Martha Stewart's Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas extravaganzas. seems the ones on food network are reruns from 1992??

i liked the food shows that actually TAUGHT you something. i usually have a few hours of "veg" time on Saturday's and Sunday's when PBS channels have cooking shows.

if you want quirky... watch Alton Brown's 2 "feasting on Asphalt" series... like 5-6 episodes each when he and crew traveled and ate their way across country. no highways, no chain restaurants.

• Adella Bedella
    6 years ago

I like Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Guy visits a lot of restaurants in Texas. We've tried three of them. The food was outstanding. The complaint from the locals is that Guy ruins the atmosphere because the business gets too much attention after that.

I'm not as much of a fan of his other shows. I dislike shows where they add some awful ingredients and expect the chef to incorporate it. I guess that could be a show of a particular chef's talent. I really just want to see some good recipes and get some tips on how I could improve my own cooking.

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

We haven't watched the Food Network in years; since competition shows are all the rage, and no actual cooking shows. I've read where people have tried some of the DDD that Guy raved about and they didn't like the food at all. Maybe he doesn't dislike anything?

Trying to find anything online in laborious, there aren't any new shows of Ina at all, in recent years. I never get tired of watching her, she's still our favourite but I'd like something newer.

We like Sarah Moulton, America's Test Kitchen, Nick Stellino, and Cook's Country on PBS Sat and Sun. There are a couple of crap shows in between, (Jazzy Vegetarian, OMG how awful).

• Marcy
    6 years ago

I saw Guy visit a Chicago restaurant that featured a Bleu Cheese burger. That's what we're having for dinner tonight! I like him most of the time, but wish he wasn't on quite so often.

• Adella Bedella
    6 years ago

Guy has said he doesn't always like everything he tries. I don't think he can really make an issue of it. It would be bad for his show. We have specifically looked for some of the restaurants he has visited as way to try something new. We also look at reviews. If the restaurant doesn't have good reviews on TripAdvisor, we don't go.

• sushipup1
    6 years ago

I like him. I just hate the way that the network plays his show back-to-back-to-back-etc for the entire evening.

• wolfie46
    6 years ago

He sure has come a long way from the kid I knew growing up in Ferndale Ca. He has changed his name now...his REAL last name is pronounced "Fairy" that doesn't sound so good thus the change for tv. He has always been a bit full of himself. I don't watch his shows. I would rather remember him as the kid from high school in a small town.

• Georgysmom
    6 years ago

My favorite was Natalie Dupree.....now I'm really dating myself (could have said Julia Child. She was pretty funny in her later years).

• DawnInCal
    6 years ago

I actually find him to be a likeable kind of guy (no pun intended). He's got that sort of folksy, down home, everyone's friend, common man thing going on. I also enjoy seeing his sons appear on the occasional show which adds family guy to Guy's persona. He grew up not far from where I live and is known as a sort of local celebrity around these parts.

• joyfulguy
    6 years ago

Sometimes spending little time in front of the TV ...

... makes life much less complicated.

o j

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

"Now you've got this screaming doofus who looks ridiculous in his quest to look like a young cali surfer dude. I mean, the man is almost 50, stop bleaching your hair man,no male does that anymore."

Maybe check out a recent edition of GQ or People - men bleaching their hair, especially celebrities, is very commonplace :-) And it is part of Guy's persona, together with the sunglasses worn on the back of his head, the bowling shirts and flip-flops and the '67 Camero. I really don't think he is trying to be anything other than what he is - a distinctive if somewhat eccentric public figure.

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

I liked the Two Fat Ladies also. Their humor was priceless. Sadly, one lady has passed away.

• amylou321
    6 years ago

Elizabeth,both have passed away now.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

We like him and most of his shows. Definitely like Diners, drive ins and dives. We have tried some of the places he has been. He is not some stuffy snooty rude person acting all superior like so many now. He is exactly who he is, like him or not. He is an accomplished chef. He has an extensive resume. He is a successful restaurant owner. He is very down to earth and friendly. Super nice guy. I would like to go on the Triple D tour.

Luckily there are plenty of different personalities on TV and in real life to satisfy most people.

• amylou321
    6 years ago

There have been many many reports about how obnoxious he is in real life. Insisting that his 50+ person entourage comes along for everything,his disdain for jews and gay people, and his big ego. I agree that his on screen persona can be appealing,in small doses,but I don't think it's all genuine. Such is the way of the entertainment industry.

Gardengal,the moment I see Guy on the cover of GQ is the moment i have entered the twilight zone. Maybe they can put me on the cover of Shape magazine. A big sphere with limbs is a shape right?

ETA: His charity work has been extensive and thoughtful,and I credit him for that ,regardless of his real life personality,whatever it may be.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

"Such is the way of the entertainment industry."

And so are all the less than accurate reports of how obnoxious he is.......it is just part of being a public figure. Rumors and garbage get reported/printed all the time. Doesn't make any of it true.

He owns a nonprofit foundation that provides funding for inner-city schools to introduce kids to cooking and the culinary arts. Also donates pretzel carts - where he got his culinary start at age 10 - for fundraising purposes. He is actively involved in the Make-A-Wish foundation, includes a Make-A-Wish family as his guest at every one of his DDD tapings, earned the Chris Grecius founders award from MAW, and is actively involved in the Special Olympics.

btw, his sister (who has since passed way from cancer) was gay and he officiated at a group same-sex marriage of 101 couples. And many of the locations covered by DDD are owned by Jews, so yeah, he is obviously homophobic and anti-Semitic. Not!! And he's been happily married to the same woman for 22 years and has two quite charming and well-adjusted kids, one of whom is also a budding foodie.

Boy, he really is a terrible and obnoxious person :-)

• amylou321
    6 years ago

Just because his sister was gay does not mean he was okay with it. My own sister loves to regail me on the evils of interracial relationships, even though both one of our brothers and myself are both in such a relationship,and my brothers wife is a child of such a relationship. And I didn't say that someone being Jewish or gay would prevent him from doing business with that person,that would be stupid,which he is not. The accounts I refer to come from people who have worked with or for him or have been guests on his show.

I do admire his charity work. But he would be remiss not to involve himself in ,and publicize, such work.

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

I remember a few shows where he had his sister on. This was a few years ago. Not knowing how many sisters he had, I wonder if this is the one who passed away. I didn't know that she had cancer, and I'm sorry to hear this.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

"The accounts I refer to come from people who have worked with or for him or have been guests on his show."

I'd want to see those comments....or better yet, get some more direct evidence. I am still not inclined to believe second or third or fourth hand reports that may have made such a comment based on their own agenda. By all reports, he was very close to his (only) sister and she was the director of his charitable foundation until her death in 2011.

I am also inclined to believe the best about people until given irrefutable proof otherwise. Nothing I have read here (especially here!!) or from other sources would cause me to change my opinion.

• amylou321
    6 years ago

Well good for you.

I am close to the aforementioned sister, and we work together on our independent businesses. That doesn't mean she doesn't disapprove of the life I lead,or that I dont express abhorrence for her views on certain topics.

I could tell you horror stories about past coworkers (and one present one) I suppose that would be a fourth hand account in your eyes. Geez.

Just because you like the part he plays on tv, you don't want to hear anything to contradict the show he puts on. What proof would you need other than a FIRST hand account of someone's experience,as mentioned above. You wanna believe the best in people you say,but express an immediate distrust in people who say anything that opposes your view of the man. They have "their own agenda" but a man who makes millions based on maintaining this wholesome,fun loving,down to earth image at all costs doesn't? Come on. Think about that before you get back to me.

• ratherbesewing
    6 years ago

Well, this thread has taken a turn for the worst. A few words: Turn. It. Off.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

amylou, I have seen nothing in print anywhere that confirms the allegations you have supplied from some unknown and undisclosed source. So should I just trust in the value of your secondhand (at best) assumptions and ignore everything else? And I am not at all sure what your relationship with your sister has to do with the issue........apples and oranges.

And why should his success be a negative? He followed a dream, became famous and made a lot of money - good for him!! Does that automatically mean that he has all manner of devious personality traits because of that? Do all successful people have this major flaw? Do you not possibly suppose that there might be some jealousy involved in his world that might prompt some less than favorable remarks?

If you don't like him or his personality, fine - there are many celebrities I feel less than charitable about. But there is no need to post a lot of unsubstantiated allegations to make your point.

• anoriginal
    6 years ago

this is turning into a bit of "I know you are, but what am i"??