Ecologically minded garden design without trees?
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (10)
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
first home,first garden! Litter my mind with creativity/knowledge
Comments (16)Cute house. Is that a baby on the lawn next to the driveway? LOL. I'm not a professional landscaper, but here's my advice from a first time homebuyers perspective who learned the hard way: Lots of great advice here...I agree with starting with soil amendment, then trees, shrubs, perennials / garden in that order, and wait a year before delving into major changes unless you have a pro landscaper. Keep in mind seasonal interest, evergreens and deciduous. Do you want privacy? You can place trees to block views. Do you want a place to entertain and relax? If so, then you can consider a patio in your landscaping scheme. I also perused my neighborhood for similar homes to get a better idea of my likes vs. dislikes, and expanded on that, and I've spent winter months perusing the web, garden books and magazines for a wealth of information. Usually when I did something on a whim, I later regretted it. I have a neighbor who took a beautiful lilac shrub, hacked it down to the ground at 10:00 pm, the night before she threw a party, to "make more room for seating". We couldn't believe it (as this was the last shrub in their yard). I also have a lilac shrub that I later trimmed up into a tree form to make room for a rocking chair underneath, and it's adorable, very English-gardenish, my husband's favorite place to relax...so the moral of the story is my neighbor has regrets, I'm sure, as she later replanted another shrub in the same place. LOL. As far as your veggie gardens, some municipalities don't allow veggie gardens at the front of your home, so it's always best to check on municipal codes. Consider installing a rain barrel. Our community sells them dirt cheap as a recycling program (old pickle barrels), as opposed to the pricing you see on the internet. Your plants will love you for it, and you'll save on your water bill. Our local dump provides free compost and mulch if you pick it up and load yourself. I always check on gardenweb regarding plant selections, and I've always found this most reliable vs. zone hardiness or performance from garden magazines or nurseries. Gardenweb -trees, perennial forums, etc. are a plethora of valuable information, couldn't live without. Fence - get a property survey if no property markers on site. Check with city hall to see if they have any on record. Inform your adjoining neighbors before installing, as a courtesy, they'll appreciate it, and you can also make sure there are no property line disputes. Confirm municipal codes regarding height, permit requirements, material, etc. I wouldn't skimp on the quality as this will add value to your home, and appeal to future homebuyers with kids and pets. I noticed your access to the back yard is via the side door - think about whether you want your fenced area to encompass the back door as well, technically this area is considered the "side yard" and not the "back yard", in which there may be different height or permit requirements, so again, my best advice is to confirm municipal code (our municipality is very strict). As far as visual sensations, curb appeal increases the value of your home. Bricks - I would not get rid of them if they match the brick on your home. Depending on the year your home was built, you'd be hard pressed to ever find them again, and you never know when you might need them. You could use them as a pillar base for a pergola, for example, and it would look like it was original to the home. Just some things to think about. That's my 2 cents worth. Good luck, and most of all have fun. I knew absolutely nothing about gardening or landscaping, and now I'm hooked. I find gardening very therapeutic. Regards, Kim...See MoreLike Minded Survivalist Gardeners Wanted for Get Togethers
Comments (47)Hi all, I love everyones ideas. Keep them coming. I'm glad to hear there are a bunch of you in SW Florida. If it is okay, why don't we keep this link going from both coasts so we can still learn from each other. We are all on the same path. I was on craigslist or freecycle somewhere yesterday and a girl wrote in asking for seeds as she lost her job and has no idea who she is going to feed her family. I don't think we are so way out. Heather I love the blog. Incredible. I have a number of links I look at for ideas. Take a look at http://www.mysquarefootgarden.net/ don't think I say that one. Brute: you are right on. Take a look at http://www.abysmal.com/LDS/Preparedness/Preparedness.pdf. It is off the main topic of gardening but it is probably the most indepth "emergency preparedness manual" that is put out by the LDS or Mormon church. It is written with facts and humor but it covers everything up to and including growing your own garden. I am not LDS but I have many friends who are and I have learned a lot from them. When I was looking for the above link i came across this site which had a lot of info some of it very scary but staying on our topic I liked this link. http://www.shtfblog.com/how-to-build-a-concrete-block-raised-bed-garden/ I really like the concrete block raised bed idea. I have my veggie garden raised and a timer on a hose that has kept things simple. I need to redo my bed as I am down to basil and 0regano. I bought a lot of seeds last week but to be honest I have never grown anything from seed except for watermelon. This will be a great start. My email address for anyone who wants to contact me privately is: IBelieveKandC@yahoo.com. I am not as good as Heather on Blogging. If one of us gets a great meeting or speaker going this is a good place for us to see if we have an interest. We could always do a fieldtrip. Literally. Lets try and keep the ideas between east and west going together for now. It's all good. The more info the better. Claudia...See MoreJapanese garden without religion.
Comments (4)Hi all inky I have spend lot's of time to study relationship between Buddhism and Japanese garden, I thought that there are alway relegions in Japanese garden with Buddhism.. More I study history of Japanese garden, I can see many things such as stone lantern, name of stones how japanese garden designed is base on sutras of three pure land Buddhism. We can't chenge history . However Some of stone named such as keiai seki, [ kei= respect, ai= love] meoto iwa [ cuple or hasband and wife stone] . If you can name stone reprenting your family/ you and your wife/partner stone. children stone , parents , brothers and sisters, uncle (s) aunt (s)stones Instead of naming three Buddhs or diety of Buddhism or Shinto, or something else. You can have hasband wife stone in midle of the garden. your childen are front of parents stone faceing crazy direction but colse to parents stone, garnd parent stone set behind hasband/ wife stone watching grand child and thire son dauther inlaw ? quietly waching family growing and redy to help to them when they needded. Freinds and relative , name your favorite person (s) and make story your self. If you understand why Japanse garden is giving quiet, peacefull, tranqil place, employ same technic to your garden. If you are christian and don't want to have any religious story in your garden, I think it can be done. I have helped my friend who are uniterian, they are much open than other christian churchs. we set stone hasband and wife stone, hasband stone slitly lager and heavy, hasband stone and wife stone leaning to each other suporting each other but stones are not touching They are as unit of one , but independent some how. they had one child. so we set stone nera parents stone but facing differnt direction and we had small space for child plant flower she like to have/her choice , she pick whatever she like to have. if plant is not best chice and die shorly , it is ok. she enoy to pick own and spent time with parents at garden. She can tell her friends that her plants and stone reprenting her parent and her self. We also set garnd parents stone behind hasband /wife stone. One day when my friend and I were talkig how we set stone, His parents visited. my friend's Dad said " mike Bruce have tow brothers and sister, you know that ? " so we set brother and sister stone also. Shortly after we finished most of work, My friend's father past way. The Stones reparenting his father has great meaning to him , his family and me now. If we understand and employ Japanese garden technich which provide pecefull place. Many peoples trying to copying Japanese garden , start working without knowing why and how to do it . I have been walking in woods and shore line of local dry out lake past few days. Looking for intresting shape and color of small stone and drift wood for my moss bonsai and moss planting with samll tree or weeds on small rock, tray , Floor tile etc. I found small section of wooded are which growing moss beautifully and some trees, weeds. I just sit down to watch moss and trees weeds. If i creat similar to this landscape, It would be fine Japanese garden without any religion. Or jsut simply condense nature /scenery to garden, it will be just like Japanese garden without religion. Knowing how to prune properly, how to work around moss, and care, you will be Japanese gardener. ^^. delicate plants , you can bring those palce into your garden designe. You can add some stone lantern or any stone garden ornament to right place , right size. To create intrest in landscaping, you do same. Right ? ( If some one want to place Oribe toro and thinks statute has Christianty, I won't ague it. Hehehee.). Plese send e mail to Cady and leave your address and home or business phone number, I can call to Canada withou long distance fee. Either you like or not We are friend ^^. By the way, do you have "Sakuteiki" by Jiro Takii, mark keane. I am studying Sakutiki and sansui narabini yagatanozu (In the book of Sakuteiki by Mark keane, "sansuinarabini yagyozu" ) I am doubl checking historical fact in the book. It is very good book. no doubt about it. but found some minor mistake in the book or other scholar may have differnt opinion about some historical facts. If you are intrested learn about Buddhism ,I can send you some books in English. And keep it only between us ^^. Learning is never end. To bad, we ca't talk face to face, Talking with a glass of wisky in had wouuld be wonderfull ^^.( Forget gout for a while. shee~ ~ Can't tell to CG ) Sorry . But it is fact that Japanese garden in past and present had and will have religion if you care. Can't separated it. But If you call it Nature garden or something else , we can leave religion alone ^^ To others. If you are Christian and don't want to have any religious object in your garden but like to have quiet, peacefull garden, Gardening /landscape design is another form of art. I can make story of the garden without religion, so do you. You don't have to have Buddhism in your peacefull garden. If you are open minded person and can have traditional Japanese garden in your property, That is great too. Just know history of it and not think as religious object. Have safe and happy holidays. mike...See MoreEcological restoration work
Comments (13)I don't want to give the wrong impression. I am not rebuilding the universe, rerouting rivers, pouring water back into the everglades, or anything. These are usually single family residential properties that have "resource areas" and/or buffers to them. That covers a lot of properties where I live. Typically, "restoration" usually means giving up lawn or other "developed" areas of the property closest to the resource area and replanting with woody indigenous plants on these projects. Sometimes it is restoring what someone cut down to create or enhance a view. Those are tough because the property owner has already done something to show he is not trustworthy (even if they have little knowledge of the wetland regulations). You are already on the wrong side of the fence from the get go. To a degree, much of this is emotion based, as with any board. Once they are PO'ed you lose traction. The hard part is that in this work the property owner often wants to propose things that you know won't fly. In doing so, the board knows that you know, and they can take it a little personally. It is very easy to get the "here he is with another one" reaction if you are not careful. Yet, you have to sell them on your project or it won't fly. I've worked very hard to substitute aggressive argument for showing the overall positives vs. the overall negatives to the resource and buffer and adjust the clients project to create the most positives. Making the most positive impacts on the resources is what I think is the purpose of these commissions and I think it works well when that happens. However, there are a lot of activists who get on these boards and try to stop every last little thing that falls in their jurisdiction without really looking at the big picture sometimes. I can tell you that there is more wildlife on this sand bar now than any other time in my 43 years. You want to see a fox or coyote? Go to down town anywhere on Cape Cod and you will eventually see one. What you will see less and less of is views of the ocean and ponds unless you happen to own water front and got your vista pruning approved (2 corridors 25' wide, thinned rather than clear cut with the bottom 5' undisturbed). Try seeing a pond from the road or other public places. The notion of protecting these resources from rich developers is resulting into "grow a thick woody buffer to hide everything from those that can'tafford to own it". The recreation of nature is displacing all cultural values to a point where we will need to create a Cultural Commission at some point to protect us from isolating ourselves from these other things we protect....See More- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGGreat Design Tree: Persian Ironwood
Plant this unusual deciduous stunner for seasonal interest year-round
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNStep Up Your Garden’s Design With Planted Geometry
Add structure, highlight forms and direct the eye with plantings in blocks, bands, cones and spheres
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNTour a Designer’s Gardens in the North Carolina Mountains
The nature-inspired landscape surrounds a new dogtrot home with a meadow, a steep hillside, bogs and a natural stream
Full Story
HOME OFFICESExplore a Garden Designer’s Gem of a Backyard Studio
An architect helps transform an existing garage into a home office surrounded by beauty
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESGreat Design Plant: Cabbage Tree
Happiest in plentiful sun, this tropical-looking tree gives a pool area or backyard landscape an exotic view all summer long
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESGreat Design Plant: New Zealand Tea Tree
Balance pretty polish and ruggedness in a temperate garden with this low-maintenance and drought-tolerant flowering shrub
Full Story
TREESGreat Design Plant: Cascalote Tree for Sunny Southwestern Style
Enjoy lovely yellow flower spikes in fall and winter with this drought-resistant tree
Full Story
TREE HOUSESHouzz Call: Show Us Your Well-Designed Treehouse or Tree Fort!
Got a great treehouse or tree fort? We want to see it! Post yours in the Comments and we’ll feature the best in a future article
Full Story
MOST POPULARSpringtime Gardening: Begin by Listening to Trees
A biologist and author shows how open senses and lively curiosity can guide our work in the landscape and garden
Full StorySponsored
More Discussions

dbarron