SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arc2v

Built in microwave died -- help with replacement?

Anthony
6 years ago

Hi all,

Our 24" Electrolux microwave died (1100W, 2cuft). It has a 30" trim kit (duct and surround) and is in a stack with an oven and warming drawer. It died hard -- tripped the breaker and now won't turn on after reset. Circuit is fine, so it's likely something major went.

First off, we'd like to reuse the trim if we can. The microwave was 24"w x 13 3/8"h and I've seen some others with those dimensions (whose trim kits are awfully close or similar in dimensions).

The E-lux replacement is $700 or so, but for that price I can get a Wolf or Viking and so far all three E-lux units we have died or needed circuit boards replaced in the last 6 years. The Frigidaire Gallery looks nice at half the price. Also saw a Sharp and Panasonic for decent prices.

Questions:

Anyone have luck with reusing trim on a different brand? I saw one success story here, but would like to hear others.

Who makes the actual microwaves now? If I am going off-brand, I might as well not pay for repackaging unless the original is really ugly.

Finally, horror stories or success with the Wolf or Viking microwaves? They were cheaper than I thought, IF I can reuse the trim . . .

Thanks,

Anthony

Comments (10)