SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Which Thanksgiving dishes work to make a day ahead?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My husband and I were just having a discussion of how not to get totally exhausted on Thanksgiving. It won’t be a large gathering, just 6 adults. Though of course adult kids will ask if they can help, it’s not easy to tell someone else how to follow your recipe. The position of the stove / oven also means only one person can comfortably work in front of it at a time. We have 2 ovens, only one full size.

We are buying a pre-roasted turkey: that will help. Buying pies. Appetizers will be simple.

So if it’s possible, what works to make in advance? (I don’t mean to freeze, we don’t have the freezer space. Plenty of refrigerator space.) Just to prepare on Wednesday. The cranberry sauce is an easy do-ahead, of course.

Apart from what we are buying, the menu will be:

Salad (red leaf lettuce, strawberries, toasted pecans or walnuts, bleu cheese, vinaigrette including a little walnut oil and balsamic vinegar),

Mashed potatoes

Baked butternut squash (with butter, brown sugar, lemon juice, seasonings like cinnamon, cloves). This is a must-have and everyone eats it.

The rest is flexible:

Some kind of sweet potato dish, yet to be determined: I’m open as long as it’s not too sweet or too similar to the butternut squash.

Some kind of green vegetable like broccoli (we usually make steamed broccoli because everyone eats it, but my husband thinks we should have something more impressive for new DIL.) I did a from-scratch hollandaise last year and it was not worth the effort.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022