SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebecca_cowan6451

Kitchen Layout Feedback

Rebecca Cowan
6 years ago

After 20 years in our house, the kitchen is finally (!) almost at the top of our todo list, and we are planning to remodel it in the spring. I have been obsessively researching and experimenting with layouts for the last month, and would love some feedback from you more experienced people!

We are a family of 4, including two teenage boys. Everybody cooks, occasionally all at once, mostly simple fare. We bake but not regularly, except for bread which we make 3-4 times a week using our bread machine to knead the dough, and then bake it in the oven.

Our current layout (see below) is not optimal for more than one cook, and has no space for visitors, so our first goal is to open the kitchen up to the dining room and make it easier for more than one person to use. The second goal is to replace the cabinets, which are old-fashioned built in solid pine, in good shape structurally, but with no drawer runners, doors that don't stay closed, and peeling paint inside that falls into whatever is stored in the base cabinets under the drawers L. We do not need to replace the appliances, although we would be happy to at least replace the range if it fits our budget, which is about 15-20K$. My husband will do most of the work himself, including plumbing and electricity, getting expert help when he needs it. We are willing to use ikea cabinets and to compromise on materials (ie. laminate counters) if necessary.

The house is a 1950's suburban split level. The current dining room and the adjacent part of the kitchen are an addition (from the 70’s?) with a crawl space below and a difficult to access attic above. The remainder of the first floor has a basement below and a more easily accessed attic.

Current first floor layout (one square = 1 ft):

What I like about the current layout is the abundance of counters and cabinets, and the prep space in front of the window.

This is my current favorite new layout (one square = 6"):

What I like about it is the openness, the simplicity and lack of corner cabinets, and the flexibility to move the table/peninsula out of the way in order to extend the dining room table when we entertain. The flaws that I see are that 1) the range area is not protected, 2) the area around the entrance from the mudroom is crowded with doors (kitchen, pantry and dishwasher), and 3) there are considerably less cabinets than we have now. This will be offset to some extent by the new pantry, but I don’t have a good feel for whether we would have more or less storage overall.

What do you think? Do these flaws seem critical? Do you see others? Do you have any better ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (16)