SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jally1

Concrobium? Vinegar? Possible mold below rotted exterior window frame

jally
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi, all, sorry my digi-cam broke, so I can only post a pic i took years ago, when I replaced identical 5' wide windows on the opposite side of the house. The pic which you see here, is of the Andersen-replacement, installed approx. seven yrs ago, prior to painting.

OK, now, I have another identical old window from the early 1950s. Because its on the side of house without an overhang, the window frame rotted. (Now i'm sorry I didn't replace ALL my wide windows seven yrs ago!) Anyway, below the rotted wooden frame is asbestos siding. When I press on the wood-rot, it compresses beneath my finger, so that my fingertip is actually behind the asbestos-siding. Some handymen came over and said the window would need to be replaced. One of them said there's a definite possibility that mold may be growing behind the siding that's beneath the window. I'm terrified it can eventually get into inner part of the house, into my bedroom.

So as of now, i'm not sure what needs to be addressed first.

Replace the window? Then remove the siding to address possible mold issues? Must the siding be removed - i.e. it's not enough to simply spray vinegar? or concrobium? in the area where the rot was, once the window is removed & there's a gaping hole? Is there an easier, less expensive way? I'm on a budget. Thanks.

Comments (12)