SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

Please keep my Chip in your thoughts

mamapinky0
6 years ago

As you know my youngest, Chip (8) has asthma that acts up daily. He woke early this morning 4am needing the inhaler but since he was already struggling so hard to breath I used his nebulizer and did a DuoNeb treatment. His Oxygen level afterwards was 98 so I put him back to bed. He woke at 9 am needing another treatment. By noon he had a fever, 100.6 and needed another treatment at 12...no appetite, but he's drinking. 4 pm he was back on the neb it did give him relief, but 2 hours later he was struggling hard so I put him back on the neb but he was still struggling hard and had an oxygen level of 92. He's now off to the ER with my husband and son. I couldn't go as Amiees had a horriable day and I can't leave her.

I'm expecting Chip to be admitted going by past history. 7 admissions a year is his average. But every once in awhile the ER manages to get him under control and he comes home. I'm a nervous wreck not being able to be with my little guy.

Its obvious with a low grade fever he's comming down with a virus which always causes his asthma to blow up. Anglo you know exactly what hes going thru. Hubs just called. Chips oxygen level was 89 by the time they arrived at the er. They did another treatment and its now at 98. They put a IV in and gave him an injection of steroids. They haven't said yet about sending him home but with a oxygen level of 98 they won't keep him. Thats the thing though a hour from now it could drop again and I can only do a treatment so many times in under 4 hours safely at home. Its going to be a long night. I'll report back in awhile. Its now Amiees turn needing me.

Thanks guys

Comments (89)

• happy2b…gw
    6 years ago

Wishing all the pinky's a restful night.

mamapinky0 thanked happy2b…gw
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Anglo, you would be the one for me to ask this question. My son called and said Chip just had another breathing treatment but that they used some kind of paddles on his lungs. I'll talk to the doctor in the morning, but do you have any idea what this is or why its used?

• Related Discussions

• ldstarr
    6 years ago

Hope things start looking up for your family. ((((((Hugs)))))).

mamapinky0 thanked ldstarr
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

Sending all my best to the whole family. I hope everyone has a better night and is well on the mend in the morning.

mamapinky0 thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

mp, I'm so sorry it's raining at your house :(

Your question directed at Anglo...you may be worried so I'll take a guess (based on my newborn in nicu many many years ago). My little one's lungs were congested so they used what looked like (to me) black rubbery cup-like things. They weren't hooked up to any sort of machine. They just gently tapped on her back up and down to help break up the mucous. Much like you would tap on someone's back with your hand when they cough.

It was just a supplemental treatment.

Hope things get better for you all soon.

mamapinky0 thanked User
  • Bobbi
    6 years ago

MP, what you are describing sounds like percussion therapy. DH's 14 yr old suffers from asthma also and has that done to loosen and make it easier to expel mucous.

Hope tomorrow is a brighter day for you and yours.

mamapinky0 thanked Bobbi
  • Bobbi
    6 years ago

MP, I should add that I am only guessing based on my experience. The doctor will give you a better answer.

mamapinky0 thanked Bobbi
  • OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Mama, I hope Chip is feeling better and resting well. And I wish the same for Aimee and the rest of your family. It’s no fun when everyone is sick and so hard and tiring for everyone else. Hugs to all of you.

mamapinky0 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok sounds reasonable Penny and Bobbi. I kinda thought it might be for that.

Anyway his oxygen level is 91 and temp is now 101.0

I knew he had a virus which always exasperates his asthma.

Hopefully the steroids work their magic and he comes home tomorrow. I tinkered in his room today.. dusted, vacuume'd and washed the floor, vacuume'd drapes, changed bedding. Just making the room fresh for him.

Thank You all.

• greenshoekitty
    6 years ago

So glad it sounds like things are starting to be climbing up a bit for the good . Still saying a prayer for you and yours.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Chip will continue staying in the hospital. Oxygen level is now 89 and he's back on the oxygen. Wheezing in both lungs. (Sigh).

• Chi
    6 years ago

Poor kid. :( Breathing freely and easily is something most of us take for granted. I hope he outgrows this!

mamapinky0 thanked Chi
    6 years ago

Ugh, not what I wanted to read this morning. I am so sorry. I hope Aimee and Tim had an easier night. I pray this episode will be over soon. Poor little boy.

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

Thank God he is where he needs to be right now and that it will be resolved in a timely fashion. Brings back so many memories. I'm praying for Chip and the rest of your family. Try and take an hour for yourself twice a day just to sit and rest.

mamapinky0 thanked Yayagal
  • OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Prayers for Chip. I agree, he’s hopefully getting the best of care and will improve soon.

mamapinky0 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • DawnInCal
    6 years ago

I'm sorry to see that Chip is still struggling and hope that he starts to feel better soon and that the rest of your family is also soon on the mend.

mamapinky0 thanked DawnInCal
  • mare_wbpa
    6 years ago

So sorry that poor Chip has to go through all of that, and so frequently. Hugs and prayers on the way for him and your family. Peace, strength and comfort to all of you.

mamapinky0 thanked mare_wbpa
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Mama, yes, that is called percussion therapy. It's to loosen the mucus in the chest so it can be coughed up. I use a percussion vest treatment called The Vest. I just finished my evening treatment - use it twice daily. Percussion can also be done manually. For years, CF patients were put on an incline board (head down) and then "beaten" in a particular pattern for up to 45 minutes twice daily. In many countries, this is still what is done if insurance does not pay for a percussion vest (mine cost about $16,000 several years ago - totally paid for by insurance). It's a nuisance to use everyday, and traveling by air with this thing is a royal pain, but then so is a trip to the ER and a hospital stay!

6 years ago

I hope Chip had a good day and is feeling better. Tim & Aimee must be unsettled without their little brother home. I hope they are feeling alright too. Sending all my best wishes and prayers.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Rita, Timmy is highly upset with Chip not being home and because he's sick he can't go to hospital to see him. I talked to the doctor about an hour ago, he said as long as Chip stays off oxygen thru the night and as long as his oxygen level is at least 92 with out **pulling** he will come home tomorrow on strict bed rest except to get up for bathroom. He also doesn't want Chip exposed to any viruses... exactly how does he think I can pull about that magic, but I know what he means.

Anglo...sometimes I feel really stupid but you know and understand ALL about lungs so what will it mean for Chips future when they tell me he has a lot of lung scarring? And thank you for the info on the percussion.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Rita I almost forgot...Amiee and Tim send you (((HUGS)))

• ritamay91710
    6 years ago

Hope Chip gets to to come home. There's not much rest in a hospital. Prayers for everyone.

mamapinky0 thanked ritamay91710
  • evatx
    6 years ago

Mamapinky, I was that kid. I had asthma and severe allergies at age 2. I missed more school than I attended during elementary school years. Remember many times either my mother or father rushing me to a local ER in the middle of the night. I had a twin sister, so one parent had to be home with her. Landed in the hospital lots of time; when the hospital redecorated, they said since I spent so much time there, asked what color I wanted "my" room painted. I didn't get to ride a bike, swim, take PE at school, go to 4H camp because the leaders said they didn't want the responsibility of a "sick kid." Doctors told my mom the asthma and allergies would get better as I got older. Ha! I've made many visits to the ER in the 20 years I've lived here. I even had to take allergy shots when I lived in Denver! My mother would be so happy to know that I've made it to age 76! I'm sorry your little guy is having to go through this! Hope he improves quickly and gets to come home. Hugs!!

mamapinky0 thanked evatx
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Evatx

I'm sorry for all you've gone thru. I understand how tramatic living a life with this rotton disease is. People that don't have it probably think an asthmatic carrys around an inhaler and when a attack hits they use it and all is fine..and it can be, but for many its not enough or its too little too late. An attack can go from bad to worse within seconds causing death. This is one of those diseases that I pray for a cure. Thank you Evatx for sharing your story.

Chip will come home this afternoon. Yeppeeeee!! I miss this guy soo much.

His oxygen level stayed at 95 from midnight until now. He will be on breathing treatments every 3 hours around the clock and his steroid daily until gone. No school this week of course and next week is up in the air. He will see his doctor Monday for a recheck.

Last night I had remembered his nebulizer machine died awhile back and he has been using his brothers (new cords) so I mentioned it at the hospital and a new one w as given to us. Of course insurance will be billed.

I ask Chip what he wanted for his comming home celebration dinner and I regret asking LOL. Hot dogs stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon and than wrapped in a Grands biscuit...OMG Heart attack food, but I'll make it. He also wants a chef salad which will save my arteries Lol. I made him brownies this am.

Thank You all for your support. I'll update you later.

• Chi
    6 years ago

Were both boys born with the lung issues, mama? Or did they develop later? I'm wondering if there might be some environmental factor if they are both having breathing issues. Children are more susceptible.

mamapinky0 thanked Chi
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    6 years ago

Mama Pinky, I hope by now Chip and the rest of your family are doing so much better. I have been blessed to not have had to go though any major health things with my four children. I keep you in my prayers.

Sue

mamapinky0 thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • chisue
    6 years ago

Glad Chip will be HOME soon.

I was thinking about your boys taking so many steroids. I have had to use Advair 250/50 for 17 years -- and Prednisone now and then. I have the bone loss to prove it. Do the boys get supplements to combat bone loss? (I can't take them because I get kidney stones.)

mamapinky0 thanked chisue
  • janey_alabama
    6 years ago

So glad to hear that he is coming home today. Know he will be happy to be home & he will enjoy his meal. Please get some rest for yourself.

mamapinky0 thanked janey_alabama
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

MY Chippy is home. First thing he said was Grandma can you run me a bath I feel dirty. LOL He hasn't been in a shower or tub since Sunday and is used to a daily bath. Tim met him at the door grinning from ear to ear offering to play chess with him which is what their doing now.

My world is a better place this afternoon.

Chi, Tim doesn't have asthma. He only has a nebulizer because of wheezing with a URI a few years ago. I took him to the er and they sent it home with us. Chip does have a few environmental allergies but Pittsburgh doctors don't feel they are triggers to his asthma and this is after many allergy testings. I went thru over a year going nuts here with not using any chemicals, well the least I could get away with and there was no change..than we had to do food testings such as no nuts for x amount of time, no wheat no dairy...certain foods can be triggers. I remember the treadmill test at the hospital. ..chip had no wheezing no breathing issues at all...it was a good day..45 seconds into a fast walk and he couldn't breath.

Can't tell you all how happy I am to have my kiddo home. And how grateful I am for all of your support thru this. Thank You.

• lucillle
    6 years ago

So glad he is home, and I know he is glad too!

mamapinky0 thanked lucillle
  • mamapinky0 thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • lindaohnowga
    6 years ago

I'm so happy for Chip and all of your family that Chip is now home again.

mamapinky0 thanked lindaohnowga
  • greenshoekitty
    6 years ago

Yea!! glad he is home also. This is such a bad time of year for so many things people get.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Wonderful! So glad you are back together and especially that Chip could be home.

• OklaMoni
    6 years ago

Hoping all will continue on a good path for all.

Moni

• happy2b…gw
    6 years ago

Glad Chip is home. Hope he has a good night.

• yeonassky
    6 years ago

Such good news! I so wish for a cure for him too and everyone else. It is incredible what we live with.

So sorry Eva and anyone else that you have had to live with this struggle for your entire life.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Chips back in the hospital. Asthma again. Started first with low grade fever, minor cough and a sore throat. These symptoms started yesterday. Than today he was on machine every 3 hours but I just couldn't get it under control. DH took him to ER and called me a half hour ago that Chips staying.

Like last time a virus provoked the asthma. Sigh

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    6 years ago

So sorry to hear that about Chip, Mama. Asthma sucks and is set off so easily. Usually I'm hospitalized for 5 days when I have a severe attack. Hope he'll be home before the weekend. Tell Tim he's not allowed to get sick this time!

• DawnInCal
    6 years ago

Poor kid. This is a miserable time of year for catching bugs - so much stuff going around once school starts. Hope he feels better soon!

• happy2b…gw
    6 years ago

So sorry that your family is going through this with Chip.

• kris_zone6
    6 years ago

I am so sorry for Chip. He must feel awful.

• yeonassky
    6 years ago

So sorry to hear of this again. such a tough thing for a little one to deal with. Sending healing thoughts and prayers.

• sjerin
    6 years ago

I'm so sorry to read this. And sorry for you, mamapinky--you've had too much on your plate lately. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Judy Good
    6 years ago

I feel your heartache. I had a daughter with severe asthma, it breaks your heart for sure. BTW she is 31 years old, still has it, but it is much better controlled when she became an adult.

• User
    6 years ago

Mamapinky I am so sorry you are having all this to deal with- you are in my thoughts and prayers. I don't you but I am really struck by your strength and loving spirit.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

I’m so sorry, Mamapinky! It breaks my heart that he has to go through this, and I know you have a lot to deal with too. Prayers he will get better soon!

• User
    6 years ago

Special thoughts and prayers for you and your lovely family.

• janey_alabama
    6 years ago

I am so sorry that Chip has to go thru this once again.

• ldstarr
    6 years ago

Thinking of all you folks. ((((Hugs)))).

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths