SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

Saxifragas on the east coast - anyone?

davidrt28 (zone 7)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

<ben stein voice>anyone?</ben stein voice>

I see extremely "cute" colonies, for lack of a better term(!), of them in maritime climate gardens...for example they are underplanting the Asian shrubs in the part of the UC Berkeley Botanical Garden where there are gigantic Rhododendron protistum hybrids. I also spotted them in New Zealand. But I am almost sure I've never seen them in an east coast garden. That being said I've probably never visited a serious plant collector's garden in New England. So maybe they are up there. The classic varieties seem rare in the US trade...but if they are found it's a PNW trader like Dancing Oaks, not a national seller like Bluestone. Who for some reason sell Bergenia under the common name Saxifrage. (yes, I know they are related)

Follow-up to some of my previous 'will it grow on the east coast' posts. I'm trying Morina again on one of my piles of rubble and sand...only a few weeks but so far looks ok. This mini-rock garden has allowed me to grow high elevation South African forbs that would otherwise melt here from summer rains and high dewpoints. Azara microphylla really is by far the most heat and humidity tolerant Chilean shrub...now the question is will it recover well from hard winters? Hoping to someday get my hands on Xera Plant's extra 'Cold Hardy' form.

Comments (36)