SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heather_morris26

Large privacy evergreen for Alabama?

Heather M
6 years ago

Hi! This is my first post here, though I've read quite a lot of this forum and you all always seems to give good advice.

I'm in north central Alabama, zone 7b. Our new house is in a developing neighborhood and backs up to what I assume used to be a farmer's natural windbreak - it's a thin tree line of a few mature hackberry (I think) trees and eastern redcedars.

There's a wide gap between the trees where I'd like to plant an evergreen to block the view of the neighbors behind us. Our house sits higher than those around us, so I'd like something that gets fairly tall and grows pretty fast to put behind the fence, which on the southern side of our house.

I'm looking for an evergreen that can handle clay coil, mild winters with rarely any snow, hot/humid summers with occasional droughts, and grows fairly tall, wide, and dense.

Something that has a good chance of holding up in our occasional severe/tornadic weather. (We already lost a substantial limb of one of the mature hackberry trees in a summer storm.)

I don't intend to get back behind the fence much to prune or maintain it, so I'd love to find something relatively problem-free that grows well in our area.

So far, I've been considering these options:

Green giant thuja

Blue spruce

American holly

Cryptomeria radicans

Blue sapphire cypress

Any thoughts on these trees or others I might not have discovered yet? Thanks!

(Picture below is the space behind the fence where I'd like to plant.)

Comments (24)