SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Cake mix rankings from Taste of Home and a $15 cake mix

annie1992
6 years ago

Since we had that long discussion about cake mixes, I thought this might be interesting:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/we-taste-tested-the-most-popular-brands-of-chocolate-cake-mix/

They baked and tasted five different cake mixes, all devils food. The big loser was the Great Value/Walmart brand, being dry and bland. Number 4 was Pillsbury, not enough chocolate, too sweet and still dry. The cake had a domed top and air pockets. # 3 and 2 were ties, those were Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker. Betty Crocker Super Moist sure was, tasters thought it was soggy and tasted more like a brownie, they liked the rich chocolate flavor, though. Duncan Hines was light and fluffy, not enough chocolate flavor and tasters thought it was "good but not great".

The big winner was Williams Sonoma, but it's a LOT more expensive ($15!!) than the others and not as readily available. The difference was that it had coffee included in the mix, a trick that many of us here use in our chocolate cakes.

The final verdict was that none of them were particularly good or bad. The recommendation was that, when you are choosing a cake mix, just go with what's on sale, they're all about the same.

I'll continue baking from scratch, I guess, there is absolutely no way I'd pay $15 for a cake mix. And you still have to add ingredients!

I've often said that taste is not objective, it's subjective, but I wonder how many people would actually buy a $15 cake mix, especially one only available on-line or in-store, even one that is infinitely better than all the other mixes available out there. I can't even imagine "stocking up" when I make the 60 mile trip to the nearest Williams Sonoma. I'm waffling between appalled and confused, and now I know that my dear DIL spent $15 on a pumpkin spice cake mix for me last year, I'm feeling a little guilty that I didn't savor it more, appreciating every gold plated bite!

Annie

Comments (14)