SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_45853694

Avocado Tree - Trying to save...

User
6 years ago

I planted a 15 gallon Hass Avocado tree, living in Orange County (for weather/zone questions). Unfortunately, I was given advice by 2 different people from the same nursery. After initially planting the avocado tree in September, I had mentioned that the watering schedule for this area was 2x/day, 5 minutes each time, every other day. The nursery person said that is fine and will be okay. Several weeks pass, it was growing just fine, and then the tips turned brown. I didn't give it a second thought, because I still saw new foliage. Things worsened. All the leaves turned brown. Any new leaves that were coming already had brown tips.

I contacted the nursery again, and this is where its get irritating. I was told based on pictures, I am experiencing "salt burn" on my tree. "It's not getting enough water, you need more water to flush out the minerals". I did that for about 1-2 weeks (hand-watering in addition to the sprinklers, added a mulch ring for more moisture).

I contacted the nursery again, explained the situation, this time I was told. "you are over-watering it and this causing salt burn and now root rot. You need to water 1x/week or 1x/3 or 4 days".

I have been doing this new watering schedule for the last 1.5 weeks. Is my tree suffering from salt burn or root rot? I am so confused. Is this tree still savable?

The first set is from October 23, the second set from today November 8

Second Set

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County