SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bnpelletier

Sash replacement - historic windows

6 years ago

I have a home built in 1903/1904 that the previous owner had vinyl replacement windows installed in in the early 1990s. They're awful and were cheap units to begin with. I have started to look into replacement of the units, but I have a small window in my office (30x32) that doesn't match any of the windows in the house and is much smaller than the opening and was made to fit. Long story short, the window is mostly frame and doesn't let much light in the room. I removed the window to see how it was installed and the installer didn't do any damage to the original window frame. They just cut the sash cords and removed the parting bead and installed the vinyl window. I have looked into 'Sash packs' that have a new rail system and a tilting low-e sash system, as a replacement, but the ones I looked at were more costly than a new, high quality window unit. Does anyone have a source or suggestion for solutions? Does anyone still make wood sash that I could use to replace what's missing? It's a shame the original sash are long gone. Thanks.

Comments (9)