SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 11 - 2- 17

User
6 years ago

Amar Bose Quotes
American - Inventor Born: November 2, 1929 - July 12, 2013

There was a time when I was wondering about this business of going public, so I visited about a half-dozen companies in the Boston area, all of them formed by MIT faculty and all had gone public.
Amar Bose

I loved music, and in my ninth year at MIT, I decided to buy a hi-fi set. I figured that all I needed to do was look at the specifications. So I bought what looked like the best one, turned it on, and turned it off in five minutes, the sound was so poor.
Amar Bose

At 13, I realized that I could fix anything electronic. It was amazing, I could just do it. I started a business repairing radios. It grew to be one of the largest in Philadelphia.
Amar Bose

The prejudice was so bad in the United States at that time that a dark person with a white person would not be served in a restaurant. My father, mother, and I would try it occasionally. We would sit there, and the food would never come.
Amar Bose

At MIT, I had the good fortune for seven years to teach network theory, which is basic to many disciplines, to one-third of the undergraduate student body. It was an experiment to see how high we could bring their level of understanding, and it exceeded all of my expectations.
Amar Bose

I had studied violin from age 7 to 14.
Amar Bose

We learned the value of research in World War II.
Amar Bose

The excitement level for me working on projects is really not a bit different from when I was 26.
Amar Bose

I hope that the institution will succeed in maximizing students' potential in the same way. I will give all of my stock to this institution. It will own the Bose Corporation and be funded by the Bose Corporation.
Amar Bose

One hundred percent of our earnings are reinvested in the company, and a great deal of that goes to research.
Amar Bose

I really wanted to do research. That has never changed.
Amar Bose

Research in this country is going down.
Amar Bose

We did experiments with the Boston Symphony for many years where we measured the angles of incidence of sound arriving at the ears of the audience, then took the measurements back to MIT and analyzed them.
Amar Bose

I'm forming a charitable institution for education.
Amar Bose

The food we ate was Indian, and both my mother and father were very deep into the ancient philosophy of India, so it could well have been an Indian household.
Amar Bose

All military and most commercial aircraft use our designs that process power from jet engines.
Amar Bose

But today the quickest way to save your bottom line is to cut off research.
Amar Bose

Rose Bird Quotes
American - Judge November 2, 1936 - December 4, 1999

The judiciary must not take on the coloration of whatever may be popular at the moment. We are guardian of rights, and we have to tell people things they often do not like to hear.
Rose Bird

My role isn't to be politically smart. My role is to do what's right under the constitution. And if that's politically unpopular, so be it.
Rose Bird

It's always the minorities who aren't a part of the mainstream who define what the limits... of the majority are going to be.
Rose Bird

Lois McMaster Bujold Quotes
American - Writer Born: November 2, 1949

The dead cannot cry out for justice. It is a duty of the living to do so for them.
Lois McMaster Bujold

For me, writing is more a process of discovering the book than planning it.
Lois McMaster Bujold

I'm very interested in the impact of biotechnology on the way people live.
Lois McMaster Bujold

When you can't do something truly useful, you tend to vent the pent up energy in something useless but available, like snappy dressing.
Lois McMaster Bujold

Some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart.
Lois McMaster Bujold

What you are is a question only you can answer.
Lois McMaster Bujold

I think 99 percent of women's lib comes from technology making different kinds of lives possible, and then the social adjustment follows the technology - it doesn't precede it.
Lois McMaster Bujold

I spent my 20s working in patient care at a large university hospital, an experience that has informed all my work and has given me a lot of human observation to draw on.
Lois McMaster Bujold

War is not its own end, except in some catastrophic slide into absolute damnation.
Lois McMaster Bujold

Escapist literature gets a bad rap. But I think escape is important for a lot of people in a lot of places.
Lois McMaster Bujold

I began my writing career in a very isolated place and time.
Lois McMaster Bujold

Seems like half my anxiety dreams are about airports.
Lois McMaster Bujold

Wikipedia is so dangerous.
Lois McMaster Bujold

Graeme Murphy Quotes
Australian - Dancer Born: November 2, 1950

And currently, there are four to five new works in the pipeline for upcoming celebrations such as the Sydney 2000 Olympics, Australian Federation, my 50th Birthday, and Sydney Dance Company's 25th Anniversary.
Graeme Murphy

I think it requires a bit of honesty, Swan Lake.
Graeme Murphy

I look at the dancers and I get the inspiration for the work from them.
Graeme Murphy

I always figure I have this tree and there's always some green fruit that's not ready to pick or blossoms that are ready to flower; there are always some ready to drop off too.
Graeme Murphy

It's the emotional trigger points that are important to me because I know if I could believe in the characters and try and imagine how they felt then I'd be able to do something quite honest.
Graeme Murphy

For me it was really important to get the essence out of the music for the story and not, sort of, press the music into the service of the whimsical telling of it.
Graeme Murphy

And dance is wonderful because dance is so immediate.
Graeme Murphy

I actually build my dreams around the dancers I've got in my company.
Graeme Murphy

I'm interested in people who can take the movement somewhere.
Graeme Murphy

We also tour nationally and internationally.
Graeme Murphy

I'm thrilled at the moment because our audiences, you know, they... the demographic is 50% male.
Graeme Murphy

Dance is so joyous.
Graeme Murphy

There's a line of dancers waiting to get into Sydney Dance Company.
Graeme Murphy

SDC has a great reputation for putting live music on stage.
Graeme Murphy

I mean, I think in the early days we were pretty... pretty British in our entertainment leads.
Graeme Murphy

We moved, and there was a golden era in the '40s when we were so conscious of who we were as Australians.
Graeme Murphy

Sydney is a very good market for us - we have a very strong following here.
Graeme Murphy

Normally our season is seven weeks in the Drama Theatre and four weeks in the Opera Theater.
Graeme Murphy

Mostly, I'm in the very enviable position that no one dictates what I do.
Graeme Murphy

I'm in the position to pick the cream of the crop.
Graeme Murphy

It's not a company of exponents of my style.
Graeme Murphy

No one was creating and I always wanted to be created on.
Graeme Murphy

We can't afford big symphonies but we commission works that sound rich and symphonic because of the nature of the instrumentation and the people we work with.
Graeme Murphy

Yes, Carl Vine stuck around. He's now number one composer for choreography.
Graeme Murphy

I think the Olympics could help us reach more people.
Graeme Murphy

I don't think people we'll miss the fact that SDC is way up there and that our profile is high.
Graeme Murphy

If the year 2000 can help us move into the future, that's fine, but I am afraid that people see it as a full stop and that one can take a big breath afterwards - you can't.
Graeme Murphy

I wanted to give people - which is fairly bizarre considering my whole life is contemporary dance really - I wanted to give people a really fulfilling sense that they had seen a white classical ballet - in a very pure form.
Graeme Murphy

But I also wanted to give them an intelligent emotional journey, without having to suspend reality - to be able to look at those characters and see reasons for the relationships and why what happens happens.
Graeme Murphy

Thomas Mallon Quotes
American - Novelist Born: November 2, 1951

I was raised - and still consider myself to be - Catholic, though I'm non-practicing and haven't fulfilled my Easter duty since sometime during the Nixon years. I'm assailed by all kinds of stimulating doubts, but I do believe in God.
Thomas Mallon

The Czech Republic, severed from its old Slovak half, sits in apparent landlocked contentment, inside the European Union but outside the troubled Euro Zone, set into the new Continental mosaic like one of the small sturdy paving stones, just a few inches square, that form the sidewalks under the visitor's ambling feet.
Thomas Mallon

I'd have to say that Nixon feels like the public figure who most dominated my life - from the time I went to fourth grade wearing a Nixon-Lodge button in the fall of 1960, through my college years, which overlapped with Kent State, Cambodia, the China trip and all the rest.
Thomas Mallon

Bobby Kennedy's conduct toward Lyndon Johnson was childish and despicable. As the years went on, he displayed nasty, self-pitying, and messianic qualities that would have made him a dangerously authoritarian president.
Thomas Mallon

John Quincy Adams ranks with Jimmy Carter on the roster of ex-presidential redemption. Instead of completing a biography of his father, he let himself be elected to the House, where he spent nine terms in Whiggish opposition to the Democrats, supporting a national bank and a protective tariff and internal improvements.
Thomas Mallon

Of all Americans who have appeared on the nation's postage stamps, Ayn Rand is probably the only one to have thought that the United States government has no business delivering mail.
Thomas Mallon

One's politics are part of one even when one is writing. But if I want to say anything about the state of civil society, I will write an essay. The responsibilities you feel as a novelist are literary ones, I think, not civic ones. And I think politicians are interesting to write about.
Thomas Mallon

Stars, of course, are too hot to support life, so wherever life might exist in the universe, it has to be on planets or moons that are warmed, but not incinerated, by the stars they travel around.
Thomas Mallon

Nixon had been to China. He had been to Russia doing arms negotiation. And so, he was on his way toward what happened in November, which was an electoral win with 49 states. And the sheer unnecessariness of the Watergate break-in is something that must have tormented him and his allies in all of the years that followed.
Thomas Mallon

I've long been interested in the role of 'minor characters' in major events. This has been the focus of a lot of the fiction and nonfiction I've written.
Thomas Mallon

I often tell people who want to write historical fiction: don't read all that much about the period you're writing about; read things from the period that you're writing about. There's a tendency to stoke up on a lot of biography and a lot of history, and not to actually get back to the original sources.
Thomas Mallon

For almost every novel I've written, I've read the daily newspaper of the time almost as if it were my current subscription. For 'Two Moons,' which was set in 1877, I think I read just about every day of the 'Washington Evening Star' for that year. For 'Henry and Clara,' I read the 'Albany Evening Journal' of the time.
Thomas Mallon

Cell phones, alas, have pretty much ruined train travel, which I used to love. I could read or even sketch notes for what I was working on.
Thomas Mallon

American secretaries of state have typically been more buttoned up than bon vivant, but John Quincy Adams's diplomatic successes - bigger than anything presidential or legislative that he achieved - still surprise a student of his personality.
Thomas Mallon

The cosmic game changed forever in 1992. Before then, logic told us that there had to be other planets besides the nine (if you still count poor Pluto) in our solar system, but until that year, when two astronomers detected faint, telltale radio signals in the constellation Virgo, we had no hard evidence of their existence.
Thomas Mallon

The romantic appeal of solar sailing has ensured that its advocates consistently come from the worlds of both science fiction and science fact.
Thomas Mallon

The green appeal of solar sailing - traveling by light, once chemical propellants have done their dirty job of orbital insertion - ought to be powerful.
Thomas Mallon

I'm not convinced that Nixon would have survived in office if he'd burned the tapes, but I do believe he would have served out his presidency if he'd never made them in the first place.
Thomas Mallon

The late Tom Wicker's biography of Nixon, called 'One of Us,' is really quite good: you see the biographer discovering dimensions of sympathy for his subject that he hadn't expected to feel.
Thomas Mallon
Good, Sympathy, You
With 'Fellow Travelers,' I think I was consciously trying to imagine what my own life as a gay man might have been like if I'd been born exactly 20 years earlier.
Thomas Mallon
Life, Man, Think
'National Review' came along, in '55, at the moment when American conservatism most needed it.
Thomas Mallon

I actually think that 'Bandbox,' by far the silliest of my books, is the best constructed of them.
Thomas Mallon

I think that the worst form of naivete can be extreme cynicism. If you think that nobody comes to Washington to do any good whatsoever, that is almost as bad as being starry-eyed and thinking that they are all here to advance democracy.
Thomas Mallon

One decision I made in writing 'Henry and Clara' was that I would keep Lincoln's appearances and any dialogue by him to an absolute minimum, because I think readers don't quite believe it when novelists have Lincoln walking around and saying things. They just know they're in the presence of stage machinery.
Thomas Mallon

My house in Connecticut is very quiet, and when I'm trying to concentrate, I don't even allow the cat inside my second-floor study.
Thomas Mallon

I like writing dialog but don't think I'd be much good at a screenplay. I once had to write a treatment for a novel of mine - a condition of its being optioned by a movie producer - and I turned out something pretty lackluster. So my inclination would be to stay out of the way of an experienced screenwriter.
Thomas Mallon

I've always got a novel under way, but if I try to work on it every day, exclusively, I falter. So I always keep more than one thing going.
Thomas Mallon

Letters had always defeated distance, but with the coming of e-mail, time seemed to be vanquished as well.
Thomas Mallon

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County
More Discussions