SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Overwinter hosta in plastic pot under arborvitae: review my plan?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I will be overwintering my one and only potted hosta this winter. It is Peanut, a mini that never did well in the ground, but fantastic in a pot. It has yet to decline and go dormant, but I am watching for that.

Based on reading threads here, this is the plan: tell me what might need adjustment. If this works well several other minis will move into pots next year. So this is my “practice” winter.

I have a tall wild arborvitae tree on the NW corner of my attached garage. I will put it at the base of the tree. There will be no direct sun, ever, to thaw the pot. The lowest limb overhead is about shoulder height.

About 2 feet in front of the trunk are 3 small hydrangeas that I have to cage for the winter , filling the cages with leaves. The squirrels and rabbits in my area are vicious and voracious. I will have no hydrangea bloom at all – probably no hydrangeas, period – if I don’t do this. The cages are already in place but the h. shrubs still have their leaves so I have not filled the cages yet.

I was going to put the hosta plastic pot on its side between the tree trunk and the caged hydrangeas, then throw more leaves on top.

Because it is an evergreen there will be less snow fall under it, though drifts into the area are possible. I can always shovel snow into it. Assuming we have enough. Last year I lost plants (not hostas) due to lack of consistent snow cover.

If the caged hydrangeas will be a problem, I can move it further from the trunk and closer to the garage wall.

I was thinking of covering the top of the pot with crimped-on wire hardware cloth too, due to the voracious tree rats. I have done a lot of fall planting and have had to check everything daily due to their persistent digging.

How does all this sound? Thanks.

Comments (9)