SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calamondindave

Ordered a Red Lime Tree on a whim. Anybody growing one?

calamondindave
6 years ago

Had an Amazon gift card to use and decided to use it on something different - a Red Lime tree. I didn't know they existed until recently. Supposed to be fairly cold hardy, and turn red when ripe. Anyone growing one of those? If so how about sharing a pic? I'll post one of mine when it arrives.

Comments (179)

• calamondindave
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

How's everybodys Red Lime doing? Mine hasn't bloomed yet, but is growing. I think they must have pruned mine not long before shipping it out. It sits by this window, but I take it outside around lunch time. It's supposed to hit 70F here tomorrow! Carolina winter temps are all over the place.

On a side note, I have some Calamondins popping, but those empty ones behind it are Mandarinquat seeds that never did anything. Planted 5, none have sprouted yet. That's Goji berry plants on the right side. Got those seeds from dried fruit from the supermarket. Using Ocean Forest potting mix - my favorite bagged mix probably.

• Angela Piedmont NC zone 7b
    6 years ago

Mine seems to have adjusted to the bareroot and gritty mix real well. Pushing out new growth strong now and has four or five blooms. I won't pick them off this time but the plant just seems too young to be producing fruit.

calamondindave thanked Angela Piedmont NC zone 7b
  • Related Discussions

Anybody grow arctic kiwis in zone 5?

Q

Comments (5)
    I have Krupnoplodnaya (found it at local Menards two years ago and Arsenev (from One Green World). They both and the male are in a pretty shady spot under a tree house. Last year only the male bloomed, this year both male and Krupnoplodnaya have flower buds on them, so I should know how big the fruit gets this summer (knock on wood). No problems with leafing out or blooming too early so far. Though we are expecting 35 degrees and snow tonight and tomorrow night. But this weather is not typical. Check out One Green World, they offer quite a few of kiwi kolomiktas, they also have extra hardy argutas (Tatyana and Natasha are hardy to zone 3, I believe). I don't really have a good and big enough place to put one of those nor am I sure my family will eat 100 lb of fruit, otherwise I'd definitely order them. I might still do it once our yard is terraced ;) Here is a link that might be useful: One Green World's kiwi
    ...See More

Anybody growing black currant in MN?

Q

Comments (35)
    Hi All - thanks so much for the great discussion and tips. I have been growing a pink currant but don't know the name - it is thriving here in Colorado (I keep getting new plants sprouting everywhere near the original). The birds don't bother the currants at all here. They eat everything else I grow! I wanted to add a black currant and just called Lucile at Whitman and ordered - what a nice lady! She had the Ben Lomand black and the Russe (sp?) which is not listed in her catalog but she is very happy with that variety so I am trying both.
    ...See More

Australian Red Centre Lime (blood lime)

Q

Comments (27)
    So I checked my tree yesterday and it has exploded into bloom!! The weird thing is the flowers have anywhere from 3 to 7 petals on them!! Had to enlist help from my husband to take this picture for you :)
    ...See More

Red Lime Tree question...

Q

Comments (4)
    There is a huge thread on this where the 3 different limes with a similar name, get hashed out and you will find folks that have at least 2 or all 3 - https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/4949487/ordered-a-red-lime-tree-on-a-whim-anybody-growing-one?n=136 In summary - The generic "red lime" appears to be this (or similar) - http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/excalibur.html The "blood/red centre lime" appears to be this - http://www.homecitrusgrowers.co.uk/australiannativecitrus/bloodlime.html And Saltysea mentioned the finger lime, where no one can find the red varieties here in the U.S. (at least yet). Vendors are mainly selling the green one (with clear vesicles) - http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/microcitrus_australasica_3672.html As a note, I have the red centre one. It's still in the adorable stage but has a similar growth habit as the finger lime (with the tiny leaves and many long thorns). Got it from Logees.
    ...See More
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

Mine is starting to sprout also, though the growth is smaller than yours. Seems happy enough. It’s a cute little tree!

calamondindave thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)
  • cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    6 years ago

Mine from seed are just so slow growing. They have been growing for almost a year now and are still only about 2 inches tall. I am wondering when and if they will start to take off!

Cory

calamondindave thanked cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
  • calamondindave
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The red lime I got flushed out over the holidays. Looking pretty healthy. No blooms yet, but I "think" there are some white dots just starting on some branches - hoping they'll be blooms soon.

Here's my little red lime out enjoying the 66F day yesterday, which is such a nice break from the crazy freezing temps we've had the last couple of weeks. Gave it a good Foliage pro watering. All my citrus went out yesterday for a watering.

How's everyone's red lime doing over the winter?

• coreycampbell1987 .
    6 years ago
    Dave I noticed white dots on my Persian Lime as well. It's been in a growing state the past several weeks producing lots of new leaves. I'm hoping it will flower soon.
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

That’s great Dave and Corey! Mine has sprouted and is blooming! It’s very cute and will get a bigger pot and fresh 5-1-1 come spring.

• calamondindave
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My Red Lime is finally blooming! I was beginning to wonder if I got a dud, but noticed blooms this morning. I was going to repot it today, but maybe I should hold off now - I don't want to upset it.

• Silica
    6 years ago

That is NOT the red lime I am familiar with, calling that tree a red lime is a real stretch of the imagination. It is just about the same coloration as common citrus. Not red at all. The Red Lime I am familiar with is as dark red as a Moro Blood orange.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    6 years ago

Silica - I think if you are going by the plant tags, they seem to be generic "lime" ones. Hirts is out of these now but here is the Amazon link where you can see their pic (they are listing it as unavailable there obviously since Hirts is out and sells through Amazon too) - https://www.amazon.com/Red-Lime-Tree-Bearing-Branched/dp/B074W9TTNN

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

I have a lime on mine that is ready to pick. I’ll try and get it tomorrow and will post pics.

• Silica
    6 years ago

Jenny thanks for the Amazon link. The picture on that link is somewhat better and could reasonably be called "red". However, it is still not even close at all to the darkness of the Red lime I'm familiar with.

• jinnylea
    6 years ago

That is cool news, Dave and Laura! My kitties shook all of the fruit off of my tree so I was disappointed, but Laura, please post a picture of the fruit when you get the chance and I look forward to hearing a description on the fruit flavor. My tree is lovely and has almost doubled in size since I received it. It is growing out in width. No flowers yet.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

Here you go guys...

not too big, but the tree is still small.
    very nice lime flavor. I did not have another lime to compare with, but I did like it quite a bit.

• calamondindave
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, it really is orange inside. Not many seeds. I wonder if it would have turned red if left on the tree longer.

Thanks for the pictures, Laura!

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

Yeah Dave, I wondered when it should have been picked. I went on how I usually pick my Persian lines. The flavor was very nice and, yes, I’ve never seen a lime that color before. It will have a good place in my collection.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    6 years ago

Like Dave, first thing that came to mind was the minimal number of seeds. Thanks for the pic Laura!

• Clinton W
    5 years ago
    Hi, new to the site. Also new home owner. I recently started attempting to use my green thumb I'm my back yard here on the east coast of Florida. I bought a red lime tree from Home Depot. Maybe a month after planting it in the ground, it bloomed like crazy. Now it has so many limes on it, and some are getting so big, they are making the plant sag. should I pick some off? Also any other maintenance tips would be appreciated. thanks!
    calamondindave thanked Clinton W
  • calamondindave
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here's a 1 year update on the Red lime tree I ordered last October from Hirts via Amazon.

It's been a delightful little tree - no trouble at all. I potted it up into a square plastic pot I had on hand into a coco-based mix I got at the hydro store. It has 11 fruit on it, some are just now starting to turn color - yellowish right now. I haven't picked any fruit from this tree yet, and I'm waiting to see if any will turn red. Here's a pic...

I am glad it got the red lime. I saw Hirts has the variegated centennial kumquat on sale for the same price. I just ordered one - been wanting one. for a long time..

How is everyone's red lime doing?

• jinnylea
    5 years ago

Your Red Lime tree is lovely, Dave! Hard to believe a year has come and gone since a few of us purchased that same tree around the same time. How large are the fruit on your tree that are starting to turn yellow? My Red lime is growing well and is virtually trouble free so far. It is more bush like in form. I have it planted in a 3 gallon container in well draining mix. It was loaded with blooms and fruit earlier this year and it currently has around 20+ green fruit that seem to have stayed pretty much the same size and color since mid-summer. I am patiently waiting for them to grow a bit more and turn color.

I hope you get a lovely Centennial Variagated Kumquat tree from Hirts. Please post a picture when you get the chance. I have one I ordered last year from Harris and it is planted down in the gh. It has a few variegated fruit holding on so far. Cute tree.

Clinton, you have a lovely tree. How is it doing?

calamondindave thanked jinnylea
  • calamondindave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Jinny! Your red lime looks great - it has flourished. 20+ fruit is good for a tree that size. I had more fruit on mine, but many fell off, and my tree blew over a number of times which knocked some little fruit off. Here's a picture of one of the larger fruits on my tree turning color. I'll post a pic of the centennial variegated kumquat when it arrives. It has shipped today, expecting it in 4-7 days. I have had some good plants shipped from Hirts, hope it continues.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

Mine is a great tree with many limes! I like the fruit quite a bit also. It has periodically been plagued by scale that attack the fruit and junction with the stem, but I keep treating it and clearing it. Great trees Dave and Jinny! And Clinton, beautiful tree!!

• jinnylea
    5 years ago

Wow, Dave! That lime is huge! Very nice. Laura, are your red limes as big and round as Dave's? Laura, I have a few citrus trees with scale that often attack the stem and fruit area and I clean, scrub and treat but they reoccur. The scale love the Tahitian Pomelo tree. I have been treating that tree since I received it and it is a non stop battle. The tree is lovely but the fruit better be worth it. Lol..

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

Jinny, that’s exactly the problem I have with two of mine. I wipe and spray but those awful ants I think help. Mine are not as big but I have lots of them. I’ll try and take a pic toy. I think one is ripe. I may make a key lime pie tomorrow. It’s that time of year...yay!

• Clinton W
    5 years ago
    thanks Jinny and Laura. My tree is ridiculous. it's sagging with approx. 70 limes. the limes are starting to turn yellow and some even orange, I'll have to take photos tomorrow and post!
  • calamondindave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Your red lime tree is a beauty, Clinton. I'd love to see pics of the fruit.

The $25 variegated centennial kumquat I ordered from Hirts over Amazon came today. Not a big tree, but healthy. I like the variegated look. I'll leave it in the original pot over winter. Finally I can cross this citrus off my wish list. Here are a couple off pics...

• jinnylea
    5 years ago

Laura, I always say hooray for key lime pie! I love it! I would love to see pictures of your and Clinton's trees and fruit.

Dave, that Centennial Variagated Kumquat is so full and the leaves are lovely. Great buy. All of my Hirts citrus trees are robust and growing really well.

• Clinton W
    5 years ago

I was trying to wait for the lighting to get better, but this should suffice. the tree looks ridiculous with how saggy it is. lol. don't know if I should pick some of the smaller ones off or not...

calamondindave thanked Clinton W
  • jinnylea
    5 years ago

Wow, Clinton! That is a fantastic looking and well producing tree! Look at all of those limes! Have you decided how you will use the fruit? Do you like key lime pie? Lol.

The branches look like they are strong enough to support the weight of the fruit, but do you see any signs of splitting on the crotch of the branches? You could always stake and tie the heavy fruiting branches for support if you are worried. I staked and supported my Satsuma branches when they bent down from the crotch from all of the fruit. Maybe someone else more knowledgeable will chime in..

• Clinton W
    5 years ago
    no, the branches seem strong and very flexible. I don't see any splitting. I have no idea what I did to get do much fruit lol. I do like key lime pie, but I heard the red limes are relatively new hybrid and don't know exactly what they are best for? margaritas? pie? juicing? aren't the supposed to be some sort of orange lime hybrid? Thanks for the comments!
  • jinnylea
    5 years ago

I have not tasted the fruit yet but Laura has. She likes it. You have enough fruit to experiment with. All of the above suggestions sounds great to me. Curd, marmalade, marinade? Lol. Have fun! Keep us posted.

• calamondindave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow! What a great lime tree, Clinton. I don't know either what differences there are in the red lime to other limes. Guess you will be finding out real soon!

Thnaks for posting those pics. Such a beautiful lime tree...

• HU-118588324
    5 years ago

Just finding this thread after searching

“red lime tree.” I thought I bought a regular lime tree several months ago and wondered what was going on when the limes started turning orange. They are finally ripening and the taste is fantastic. Just this morning I noticed new flowers on the tree.

calamondindave thanked HU-118588324
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

Jinny, I’ll try and compare them to other limes if I get the chance. I really liked the flavor, and also think it was seedless and very juicy. It’s a great little tree. Clinton, all I can say is wow!!

• calamondindave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Would anybody happen to know for sure (or have links) about the cold hardiness of the red lime tree we got? When I purchased it, the basic info said "Super cold hardy lime – even better than Rangpur" and said it hardy down to Zone 8. I'd like some more assurance before I try leaving it out around really cold temps.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

No idea Dave, but I’d love to know myself.

• calamondindave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok, I have only found one online reference that mentions any low temp for our red lime tree. A florida nursery website that sells fruits and exotics is offering the red lime tree too. It says the red lime is cold hardy down to 16F, and as low as Zone 8a. That sounds good, but I'm not going to try leaving it out anything near that low myself. It must be pretty cold hardy though.

I'm bringing mine in when freezing temps come. My fruits are tuning orange. No red yet.

• Halyna (Central FL, 9a)
    5 years ago

I love to eat this red lime out of hand when it's ripe. Also I found out its taste gets incredible after one or two Miracle fruits. Lol, can't stop eating them. The fruits turn dark orange almost red color after some cold temps. I leave the limes on the tree till March. By the way, I didn't like the taste of the limes first year. Wanted to get rid of the tree. Gave it a chance for one more year and the taste improoved to much much better.

calamondindave thanked Halyna (Central FL, 9a)
  • calamondindave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Those are really gorgeous, Halyna. The red lime tree is an attractive citrus. When I prune my one tree I'm definitely going to try to root cuttings.

How often does it fruit in your climate (the months it usually fruits)? This is the first year mine has fruited, and I haven't tasted one yet. I had the same experience as you with my mandarinquat - first year the fruit was terrible, next year it was great.

I've heard a lot about those miracle fruits. I may have to get one around here - I'm told my cooking needs a miracle.

Thanks for posting your pic.

• jinnylea
    5 years ago

I echo what Dave said. Those are gorgeous looking fruit! Does the interior of the fruit lose any quality hanging on the tree for a bit longer? Lol, Dave. I have a young Miracle fruit tree that is slow growing so no fruit yet.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

Those are gorgeous! Mine are orange, but not that red yet. It looks a lot to me like a Rangpur lime. Could it be a cross?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

calamondindave

I agree with you. I brought my dormant meiwa kumquat in yesterday 11:00 PM when temps dropped below 33F and went down to 20F for our first frost . The Meiwa kumquat goes down to 15F but why take chances. Your tree looks very healthy.

Steve

calamondindave thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • Halyna (Central FL, 9a)
    5 years ago

The Red lime fruits ,I'd say, a couple of times per year here. It's like it has three stages of fruit on and flowering again. That red like in the picture above it'll be in the winter. The fruit doesn't lose quality, I'd say it gets better like Centennial kumquat. I see people harvest the fruits way early. The fruits have to change color from yellow green stripes to yellow orange like variegated Minneola. Then the fruits are ready to eat out of hand and they get a bit bigger in size too.

What they say about the cold tolerance, they are talking about a mature tree in the ground. We grow young trees in containers, so we have to protect them. My Red lime suffered last year from root rot or something. The limbs started to die. I almost lost it. So it's to weak to have all the fruits. I left a few and they are not looking that pretty this year. The LM got it really bad even though I treated it with the neem oil. But, it's alive and trying to grow back. I don't have a Rangpur lime, so I can't compare.

calamondindave thanked Halyna (Central FL, 9a)
  • calamondindave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Did it have any orange taste at all, or was it pure lime flavor?

Im tempted to pick one of mine now, but I want it to turn all the way.

Thanks for posting the pics. Surprised at the seed cluster it has.

• calamondindave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I finally harvested a few of my red limes For the first time. They had turned a very dark orange, almost red. They were very juicy and delicious. Best lime flavor of any of my lime trees. I squeezed a whole one into a glass of soda water. Refreshing. Kind of seedy. I planted 4 seeds and all sprouted. I will take cuttings when it begins a growth mode, because this is a tree I want to continue in my collection. It is kind of cold hardy, I have left it out most of the winter, bringing it inside nights when freezing temps come, which isn't that often around here. Mid 30's didn't harm it. No problems with this tree whatsoever.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

That’s great to hear Dave! I like is as well, and am reassured about its cold-hardiness from your experience. Mine is right by the door, so perhaps I’ll experiment with taking it out a bit on warm days.

• Richard Wegman
    3 years ago

Yeah they taste so good!!! Ummm it can stand cold as 15 degree when they get older you have to cover plastic for two years during winter but next day if it get upper 30 Degrees I cant spell it until after two years in ground will be stand more hardy cold to 15 degrees....

• calamondindave
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Update: It's been 4 years now since getting the little Red Lime tree off Amazon. I have kept it and enjoyed it very much. It has provided much fruit and has been less fickle than any of my other citrus. I have potted it up several times and pruned it down several times. I just re-potted it today in this picture. This has become my favorite citrus. I've started dozens of seedlings from its seeds and have half of dozen plants from cuttings.

Does anyone else here still have their red lime tree? If so how about a pic? here's mine...

• Austin Blanton
    8 months ago

Would you happen to have cuttings of the Red Lime? I'm in North Carolina.