SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryanga7a

Any experience with Acer japonicum 'Acontifolium' (Full Moon Maple)?

(ryanga7a) Ryan M
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Does anyone have experience with Acer japonicum 'Acontifolium' or Full Moon Maple? This specimen sat underneath tall loblolly pines at the nursery. I think it will do okay in medium or dappled shade. The photo is looking south from my back yard patio. My main two questions are about planting location and pruning.

1. Planting Location...

I am debating whether to plant it here by a patio pathway to keep it with some bloodgoods and azaleas, or to plant it out front by a rock formation as a specimen tree (but I'd have to dig up a 7x7 foot barberry that is pretty well established.) What would you do?

2. Pruning...

Is this tree best left to shape itself into a rounded shape, or should I train it into a multi-stemmed tree, exposing the stems for about the first 5-6 feet? This tree is starting to send up some healthy shoots from about 8-10 inches from the base, and if I let them grow, they will probably grow into stems. I kind of want to plant it by a walkway to make it more of an umbrella shaped specimen that people could walk under. But maybe it is best left to take its natural shape?

(Some other info: I am in Zone 7a, or 7b depending on which map you look at, kind of on the border, with clay soil in a forested bottomland area, about 1100 foot elevation. Both sites are protected from wind but the front area gets a few hours of late afternoon sunlight. The back yard has more dappled shade with some sun, e.g., iris and canna bloom there, but not profusely. The backyard has a "pool sized" clearing in an otherwise forested area.)

Comments (9)