SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mosjajs

Microwave bump out with staggered cabinets

mosjajs
6 years ago

We are in the final stages of remodeling our kitchen. We have bumped out the upper cabinet over the microwave and made it 15" deep. Now, after installation of the microwave, realize that the vent requires a bump out kit that will push the micro out an add'l 3". Has anybody done this? If so, I would love to see pics of the staggered cabinets and the micro out an add'l 3". The vent thru the attic option will mean cutting a hole in the ceiling to gain access to the attic :(

Comments (5)

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    6 years ago

Are you trying to connect to a vent that is in the wall behind the MW? What is the model of MW you are trying to install?

If the attic is right above the MW, then venting straight up is the best option. Cutting a hole in the drywall ceiling and installing a sheet-metal vent is a very straightforward job, as long as there is no ceiling joist right above the area you want to cut.

Bruce

• User
    6 years ago

Don’t do an OTR. Do an actual hood and put the MW somewhere else.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 years ago

I assume you have a wall vent you can do something like this... Most HVAC contractors can make this hook-up and if you DIY and you handy, you can do this yourself.

• Denita
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Agree with Sophie. That bump out of the cabinetry over the range for the microwave would impede cooking IMO. I know I would bump my head on the microwave with it sticking out that much further (6" additional, right?). I don't know what your kitchen looks like, but there are numerous other better functioning locations than OTR. Here are a few ideas:

^next to the range but not blocking use or access to the entire range top

^In its own quick prep station away from the main cooking areas of the kitchen

^near the fridge completely away from the range.

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

It depends on the size of the kitchen. Tiny kitchens benefit from an OTR microwave.