SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrissyd1121

Begonia beginner

I believe this rex is the "escargot" and I have lots of questions!

I got it at the end of the summer and the edges of all the leaves were crispy and ripped by then. When I got it home I wanted to clean it up a bit so I cut the crispy edges (almost all the way) off and cut off the leaves that were crispy all the way through. I repotted it and used a mix of peat and vermiculite (I read online that was a good mix for a rex). I have been keeping it well watered, never in direct sunlight, and as much humidity as possible.

Since then a couple more leaves tore worse and worse from the crisping and had to go as well. It looks so naked!! There is one big beautiful leaf hanging on by a thread and I don't want to cut it bc it's so sad and bare! Since I got it there is only one new leaf. The new little one looks good, no crispy edges.

1. How does a rhizome root system grow? Does it need to be above the soil? Idk if I have it potted too deep and maybe that's why there's so little going on. Is it normal to grow so slow?

2. Should I fertilize it even though it's about to be winter? Does that matter in house plants? What kind of fertilizer is best for a rex?

3. Is this pot too big? It looks really big with so few leaves! The soil never seems to dry. It's not muddy wet, but always damp even after no water for days.

4. How do you prune and pinch this? Did I mess up when I cut the super crispy leaves off down at the soil? The stems still looked healthy and sturdy at the time.

5. I know a lot of the begonia are patented and not allowed to be propagated. I don't want to get myself or anyone else in trouble so if it is patented I won't try!! Regardless, what's the best way to propagate a rex in general? Leaf cutting? Stem cutting? Rooting hormone?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County