SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cedarburgcapecod

Small Master Bath 1 sink or 2?

cedarburgcapecod
6 years ago

Hello all-

We have decided to remodel our VERY small (4'8"x5'1) and oddly configured master bath that is original to our 1970 house. By relocating a closet, we will be able to expand it to a 7'x7'2" room - which I know by today's standards is still small, but for us will feel palatial! All plumbing will be moved. The toilet and a shower will be on the south wall, the door will open in the middle of the west wall, and we have 86" on the north wall for a single vanity and a modest linen closet OR a double vanity with wall space and maybe a small cabinet. (east wall has a large window that will stay where it is).

This is NOT our forever home, and part of reason for the remodel is that we want to improve resale value. My question is this - we have the room for a 60" or even a 72" vanity and 2 sinks. Currently, DH and I aren't on the same schedule so right now we don't need 2 sinks. More counter space and storage is most important to me and we would be happy with a 48 inch vanity, BUT I also want to get to a good ROI and appeal to as many buyers as possible when it's time to sell in a few years. Do we go with a single sink and a larger linen/storage or do we put in 2 sinks in a 60 or 72 inch vanity? Are 60" vanities and 2 sinks cramped feeling?

Our neighborhood is all older homes and only half have master baths. BUT 3 blocks away is a new subdivision of new homes where large master baths and 2 sinks are the norm. Those houses sell for 150-250K more than those in our neighborhood, so I'm not sure if we would be competing for those buyers, anyway.

Thanks for reading this. All insights and opinions are much appreciated.

Comments (8)