SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1235726

Inexperienced and massive indoor gardenia has whitefly!

User
6 years ago

Hello all,

A few years ago my neighbor moved out and left a small plant that I later realized was a gardenia by the trash. I'm not an experienced gardener but I felt bad for it so I brought it in. It has flourished (I'm not sure how as I don't know or do much with it) and is now so large that I have to lie in wait to get men to come move it outdoors for the summer and back in (I am in New York City). I noticed about 3 weeks ago that it had some small white flies on it. I sprayed it with Safer brand insecticide before I noticed that the label says not to use on gardenias, but the flies were gone and all seemed fine. I had it moved indoors--and now suddenly the whiteflies are all over it, and many of the newer leaves look finely dimpled. Can I try managing the population with sticky traps and wiping leaves down? I've read a bit online and it looks as though I need to spray it repeatedly, but I don't see how I can do that with a plant this size indoors, and it seems too cold to have it outside any longer. I'm not sure if I should be just minimizing their damage, trying to kill them all indoors maybe by cutting the plant size back some so I can, or putting it back outside so I can spray it more liberally.

Can anyone tell me 1. what to use (soap, oil, neem?) 2. whether I could do that indoors 3. how much cold it can tolerate outdoors? Maybe I could put it back outside and spray it this week and next before it got too cold, then bring it back in. This plant has given me so much joy and I'm afraid I"m going to lose it. Thanks so much for any insight. Photo attached.

Comment