SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 10 - 24 - 17

User
6 years ago

Belva Lockwood Quotes
American - Lawyer October 24, 1830 - May 19, 1917

If nations could only depend upon fair and impartial judgments in a world court of law, they would abandon the senseless, savage practice of war.
Belva Lockwood

I know we can't abolish prejudice through laws, but we can set up guidelines for our actions by legislation.
Belva Lockwood

The glory of each generation is to make its own precedents.
Belva Lockwood

No one can claim to be called Christian who gives money for the building of warships and arsenals.
Belva Lockwood

I do not believe in sex distinction in literature, law, politics, or trade - or that modesty and virtue are more becoming to women than to men, but wish we had more of it everywhere.
Belva Lockwood

Al Feldstein Quotes
American - Writer October 24, 1925 - April 29, 2014

There were some television sets back in the '50s, but they were expensive. People would gather at the rich guy's apartment down the hall to watch Milton Berle on his 10-inch black-and-white screen.
Al Feldstein

Kids are no longer interested in reading comic books; they've got television and the electronic games that they can bury themselves in like ostriches. They don't have to pay attention to what's going on in the world around them.
Al Feldstein

When I was a kid, I used to sneak down the stairs when my folks were listening to 'The Witch's Tale' and 'Inner Sanctum' on the radio. I went to see 'Frankenstein' in the movie theater and got the pants scared off of me.
Al Feldstein

I used to say, 'Mad' takes on both sides.' We even used to rake the hippies over the coals. They were protesting the Vietnam War, but we took aspects of their culture and had fun with it. 'Mad' was wide open.
Al Feldstein

My father made false teeth. Unfortunately, during the Depression, not many people could afford them, and my parents lost their home.
Al Feldstein

Adrian Mitchell Quotes
British - Poet October 24, 1932 - December 20, 2008

Most people ignore most poetry because most poetry ignores most people.
Adrian Mitchell

I don't like writing essays or theory.
Adrian Mitchell

I want to speak, to sing to total strangers. It's my way of talking to the world.
Adrian Mitchell

Stadium rock and commercial rock are the opposite of what poetry needs. An audience of around 200 is ideal for poetry.
Adrian Mitchell

Written poetry is different. Best thing is to see it in performance first, then read it. Performance is more provocative.
Adrian Mitchell

There have always been poets who performed. Blake sang his Songs of Innocence and Experience to parties of friends.
Adrian Mitchell

I use rock and jazz and blues rhythms because I love that music. I hope my poetry has a relationship with good-time rock'n roll.
Adrian Mitchell

I use the language I use to my friends. They wouldn't believe me if I used some high-flown literary language. I want them to believe me.
Adrian Mitchell

F. Murray Abraham Quotes
American - Actor Born: October 24, 1939

I'm just having a wonderful time. It's an interesting thing that I'm very comfortable with this material and I don't know why. Maybe it's because I did MacBeth.
F. Murray Abraham

All the stuff that you visualized that was going to work so beautifully, you discover is trashed, so you jump to something else.
F. Murray Abraham

The difficulty is capturing surprise on film.
F. Murray Abraham

I think creativity is spiritual. I absolutely believe that.
F. Murray Abraham

People desire power. I don't know why they want it so. It seems to me it implies a hugely superior intellect which separates them from most of the populace.
F. Murray Abraham

I'm not going to just say nice things about everybody unless I mean it.
F. Murray Abraham

Woody Allen sets are very quiet. Extraordinary sense of power from a man who doesn't do anything except just stand there.
F. Murray Abraham

I really like to experiment. That's the only way I can work. It's instinctive.
F. Murray Abraham

I just throw it out and see what happens. If it sounds and feels right, then I continue.
F. Murray Abraham

There are certain men and women who, from the minute they step in front of a camera, that's exactly where they belong. Connery's one.
F. Murray Abraham

Arnold Schwarzenegger, I don't know if you'd call him a great actor, but he's amazing in terms of his presence, and he is interesting enough that you want to watch him.
F. Murray Abraham

With Connery, he does act. He is in complete command. He completely trusts the person first, then the instrument. I've worked with his son also, on a picture in Russia.
F. Murray Abraham

There is one confrontation scene toward the end of the picture. In the middle of the scene, I thought, That's Sean Connery! I don't know how else to describe Sean Connery. I still feel that way.
F. Murray Abraham

I'd like President Bush to think maybe there's another way to think, that maybe Kissinger was wrong when he says we had to go in there because he was wrong about Vietnam.
F. Murray Abraham

If these men decided that they have to go in there and fight, I want them to send their own children and grandchildren. I want them to not send a bunch of strangers' kids in there to fight and die.
F. Murray Abraham

I'd like President Bush to get a gun in his hands. I'll go with him. I can't think of anything better than to die in place 's just beginning their lives.
F. Murray Abraham

I trust that the president will try, just give it one more shot, some revolutionary way of not doing this, of bringing all those kids back home safely.
F. Murray Abraham

The idea that you can make love and not war really is pretty neat. That thing in Korea, the thing in Israel - that's all over the world. There must be a new way of thinking.
F. Murray Abraham

I have two brothers buried in the military cemetery in Texas. I don't want to see any more of that.
F. Murray Abraham

I don't want to talk in terms of miracles. I think this is a very serious situation. But I do want to talk in terms of Bush becoming a man of the hour, and I think this is way to do it.
F. Murray Abraham

I acted my heart out.
F. Murray Abraham

Milos said, You're my first choice. From my point of view, that doesn't pay the rent. I said, Tell me what I have to do next because I'm busy painting my kitchen.
F. Murray Abraham

Suddenly I was the man who got the part that every actor in the English language was trying to get. I was really scared. I had talked the talk, and now I had to walk the walk. For three days, I couldn't answer the phone.
F. Murray Abraham

As much preparation as I had made for the old man Salieri, gestures and so on, the fact is after sitting for hours, your movements are kind of slow.
F. Murray Abraham

Once I looked into a mirror at my face I felt like it was completely convincing. I was Salieri.
F. Murray Abraham

I'm a very proud actor.
F. Murray Abraham

With Dick Smith there, and the words of Peter Shaffer... they've got to be the most beautiful descriptions in music ever written on film or in literature. And we could hear the music accompanying the words... What more can you ask for?
F. Murray Abraham

I love parties. I love a good time.
F. Murray Abraham

Whenever there were parties, I wasn't invited because I began to be like that character. In a way, that contributed to the success of the performance.
F. Murray Abraham

Frank Delaney Quotes
Irish - Novelist Born: October 24, 1942

To understand and reconnect with our stories, the stories of the ancestors, is to build our identities.
Frank Delaney

We all belong to an ancient identity. Stories are the rivers that take us there.
Frank Delaney

First a piece of Irish wisdom: you should always listen to a bookie. For they have a saying, 'Money tells a good story,' and somewhere in their odds is a kind of science-fiction existentialism that decrees that we, the people, know everything. In other words, betting patterns often make for good, unconscious soothsaying.
Frank Delaney

For a startling period of my life, I reported the Troubles in Ireland for the BBC. I lived in Dublin and was called out to all sorts of incidents that, if taken together, add up to a war - bombings, assassinations, riots, shootings, robberies, jailbreaks, kidnappings, and sieges.
Frank Delaney

As an arts journalist in London, working mainly for the BBC, I interviewed hundreds if not thousands of authors. From them I gleaned a great deal of passing instruction in writing and I observed one fascinating detail: no two writers approach their work - physically - in the same way.
Frank Delaney

Writers have opinions - that, in part, is why they write. Therefore they have strong likes and dislikes.
Frank Delaney

I'd have to struggle to find a subject in which I can't get some kind of interested pulse started.
Frank Delaney

If you ever want to understand multitasking in prose, James Joyce is your man.
Frank Delaney

Kitchens are for conversation. They're not just for cooking; they're for conversations.
Frank Delaney

If you have a book, you have a friend.
Frank Delaney

'The Great Gatsby,' by F. Scott Fitzgerald, remains the most perfect novel that has ever come out of the United States. Everything in the book moves as it should, in the manner of a piece by Bach or Mozart.
Frank Delaney

Storytelling, in print or speech, needs vital energy.
Frank Delaney

If you need proof of how the oral relates to the written, consider that many great novelists, including Joyce and Hemingway, never submitted a piece of work without reading it aloud.
Frank Delaney

I write - and then I write some more.
Frank Delaney

David Weber Quotes
American - Author Born: October 24, 1952

It hadn't really percolated through my brain that I was going to see real, live TV from the surface of the Moon, and boy, oh, boy, had that Saturn V launch been exciting! And then, there it was - late at night, sitting up, watching, and there was Neil Armstrong actually standing on the surface of the Moon.
David Weber

I think it's like that for people who don't remember 1969 first-hand. It's that sense of 'old hat.' Of 'been there, done that.' Space shuttles, space stations, communications satellites, GPS - they're all part of our everyday, taken-for-granted world in 2009, not part of an incredible odyssey.
David Weber

I want manned spaceflight, not just back to the Moon, but beyond that. And I want my daughters and my son to have their own July 20, 1969, to remember. Apollo 11 didn't give us wings; it only showed us how far the wings we had would take us.
David Weber

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions