SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Week 159 - Were you legal? Or planning to be?

beachem
6 years ago

When I met with contractors and designers after my kitchen flood, everyone told me that a permit was not required for the remodeling.

Hah!! They lied. My kitchen was torn up due to the mitigation and when my plumbing company requested an inspector to sign off on their permitted repiping of my house, the inspector shut down work on my house and demanded a full remodeling permit.

After talking to the neighbors (15 in different neighborhoods), I was the only person stupid enough to use a plumbing company that filed permits and the only person that filed a permit for any work.

The next door neighbor tore his house down to the studs and ripped out concrete support and expanded his balcony. No permits.

I was at the city filing my permit when a gentleman there found out that his new 4500sf home did not have any permit for 1500 SF of it. The engineer was talking to him about ripping everything out unless he will pay for the permit and penalties along with requires inspections.

My husband's niece is remodeling her house to the studs, removing support walls, raise the roof, remove beams and expand with no permits.

It makes me wonder when DH asked if I was the only person in California to file a remodeling permit.

How did you handle your remodel or plan to? Are you going to be legal? Or it's not required.

Comments (35)