ctaron

Blinds or curtains in guest room?

ctaron
6 years ago

Comments (50)

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is a pretty small room so I use it as a guest room. I have gray sheets on the bed with gray bedding from Ikea. Not sure if I should put curtains or blinds on the window. The view outside of the window is not the prettiest view - its just the block wall that is shared with the neighbors house. If curtains are the go to, I'm having a hard time finding a pair that matches the sheets (hence the wrapping on the bed).

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hunter Douglas vignettes, sheer white linen. Privacy, light control and DONE. No curtains necessary

Or HD silhouttes for eve more versatility and also a once and done finish with every light control from hazy view to fully private

• Related Discussions

Guest room curtain saga

Q

Comments (37)
    Thanks so much for all of the ideas! Paint is not an option right now, so I'm working with the other elements first. I remembered that I had these drapes from another room, so I threw them up there. I wouldn't use these, but this gives an idea what the color would look like. I turned the bed 90 degrees, to see how that would look. I have a "thing" about symmetry, so that's why the bed was in the previous spot. In it's new position, if it's centered on the wall, it's off-center of the window facing it(there's a window on the wall to the right, outside view of the pic). Does that bug anyone else? Although...it does solve the problem of the curtain-as-a-headboard issue, and makes it much easier to open and close the curtain. I added the trim to the lampshades the other day, and really like it! The paper blobs on the wall are some artwork I'm thinking about, and the funky table and chair I have some painting plans for. Figurines and shelves will be moved to be over the lamps, wherever they end up. Opinions?
    ...See More

Mixing curtains/shades/blinds in a living room? Need help w Bay Window

Q

Comments (3)
    It would be nice to have a current pic, with the curtains you have hung, but by way of illustration I've inserted some below. The open alcove windows seem absolutely fine to me -- I'd added a round rug to accentuate the feeling that it's its own little 'room'.
    ...See More

What wall colour, curtains/blinds and furniture will work in room?

Q

Comments (4)
    Going to be home office and I want to add sleeper couch. Room is 4m long and 3m wide. Opens onto balcony.
    ...See More

what do you think of blinds and curtains in the same room

Q

Comments (0)
    I have a wall in my family room that consists of two large windows and a sliding patio door. The entire wall is taken up with these three items. Each of them are about 2 inches apart. I want to put blinds on the windows because of the sun and still be able to see out a bit but blinds won’t work on the sliding door.
    ...See More
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

curtains-more softness..more (perceived) feeling of privacy maybe

you can do any of the colors of the bedding, just keep it on the cooler side as your bedding is..brighter white, blue-ish gray..you can do plain or pattern, just vary it from the pattern you already have

for example:

https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/washed-linen-curtain?category=window-curtains-panels&color=004&quantity=1&size=52X84&type=REGULAR

(have it in grey too)

https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/ruffle-gauze-curtain?category=window-curtains-panels&color=004&quantity=1&type=REGULAR

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/amera-curtain?category=curtains&color=004

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/adalet-curtain1?category=curtains&color=007&quantity=1&type=REGULAR

etc, etc

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Would you do patterned curtains with a pattern on the duvet on the bed? Does that clash?

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

you can do patterns, and it can clash or not. in order not to clash, you need to watch your colors(you can add more by the way, just keep them similar brightness so to say..or muted-ness), and the size of the pattern..you also most likely would want to make your patterns different. like, mix florars and stripes or dots..more elaborate plus more simple. there are also "rules" about three patterns in a room or something..depends on one's preference, I never listen to that but then i like patterns

( one can deliberately decide to repeat one pattern everywhere for example, but needs to be very confident though to pull it off)

the more you try something the more you see what works, what you like/dislike, the more confident you become

i have patterned upholstered headboard, my bedding right now is vividly patterned, the pillow is yet another pattern, curtains are subtly patterned, and there are details on lamps etc..and i feel it's a very relaxing calm bedroom lol

you can even pile on colors-just repeat them..make them connected

grab things that are easy to return so you feel more free..and just try them in the room

digital images are often innacurate..

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

Blinds for privacy and light control and curtain panels for softness and color would be another option. The panels can always stay open.

• amykath
    6 years ago

I agree with ingrid. I would use a roman shade or something like it and curtains.

• User
    6 years ago

It can be hard so to sleep at someone else's house. In guest sleeping quarters, I prefer blackout blinds, a fan, and an electric blanket, as well as a few different types of pillow. I don't care if it's the prettiest. I just hope they can sleep ok.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

These are from Target-on sale for less than $20 per panel, room darkening (which also helps with insulation in colder months), have a nice textured look to them, and seem like a good color with your bedding. Grommets make them easy to close as well.

https://www.target.com/p/rowland-light-blocking-curtain-panel-eclipse-153/-/A-52219553#lnk=sametab

• deegw
    6 years ago

Curtains alone often don't provide good privacy or light control. But I do like how curtains can make a room look more finished. If you use blackout curtains like katin posted, that would work well. If your curtains are not heavy fabric, use blinds and curtains.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

"Would you do patterned curtains with a pattern on the duvet on the bed? Does that clash?"

I prefer a non-matching look, so I would definitely do patterned curtains with a different pattern on the bedding. Different patterns work together well as long as you use similar grey tones on the bedding and windows (plus grey does go with just about everything). You just have to make sure that all of your greys (or other colors) are both warm or both cool. From what I can see in your picture, the curtains and bedding (Rostvin, yes?) look good together.

I think different patterns can look great together, and very warm and welcoming, which is what you want in a guest room. That's also why I prefer curtains to a window shade.

For privacy, you could add a pair of sheer curtains underneath, and keep those closed.

If your curtain rod will extend further, I'd pull it out at least 6" more on each side and move the curtains further out, to make the most of the window and light. You have a great window (good size) and light coming in; it's just that the view is meh.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I usually keep guest room bed covered just with coverlet and pillows of my choosing; then I customize bedding, blankets etc to a guest..:) ask them what they prefer, always provide spare throws, etcetera. some people are always cold(like me) ;some are always hot..

I prefer linen curtains in my rooms; but so much depends on what the room is oriented to, privacy, noise, light, view, exposure..of course if there's a possibility for both blinds and curtains (or sheers and heavier drapes, depending on a style)-it's nice to use it, and then get the most versatile set up.

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I tried to order some roman shades online but everything is custom order because my window is 46 x 46.. Do you guys know of any good websites?

• Laureta Alme
    6 years ago

I'm claustrophobic and too many different patterns in one space are suffocating. I like the wide open feeling I get from white walls and white sheer window coverings during the day. Or white blinds pulled up during daylight hours and down at night for privacy.

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Do you guys like these curtains with all white bedding instead?

• PRO
    Milano Doors
    6 years ago

Hello. I think, curtains well look.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

I prefer the print in the bedding. The last arrangement is a little blah.

ctaron thanked katinparadise
  • ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I get nervous with the gray print bedding when the carpeting and furniture are more of a brown color. Any ideas for new bedding?

6 years ago

Brown furniture isn't a problem. What does the carpet look like?

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Its also has a brown tint.

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

it's not even print vs non-print..one can get away with two colors..even with one color..but then much more texture is needed. different materials. texture. architectural details maybe-that can also be considered texture..

otherwise will look cold and institutional in a simple space..not enough dimension

so no i'm not i favor of a new look..

wood is okay next to gray..wood is wood. it's like a forest you know. say, trees and grey sky-it's not like they clash:)

carpet can be a bit different story..although I can't really see it in the pictures (ETA: now I see, thanks!)

if you like prints-go for prints. You're there most of the time. If a guest doesn't like prints-well, some will tell you:) and you'll change the bedding for a couple nights.

ideas for new bedding..the world is your oyster really

whether it's solid or floral or geometrical or ethnic(silly world but I don't know what to exchange it with) ..or it might be solid but with details..the fabric itself provides texture or interest or has some trim or..

do you like neutral pallette you're working with right now? would you like to stay within it?

or maybe you like a color? and if yes-which?

will the walls stay white?

other plans for the room, in the future? or it's mostly draperies and bedding, for now?

I'd go for a bit more "beefy" bigger lamp if possible..?

we can link to enormous amount of bedding..but it will be much more helpful if it expresses your tastes, or tries to at least..or so I think.

now say if I'm a guest..usually means I like the host otherwise I wouldn't impose myself..I will be inclined automatically like his space even more so if it reflects him because then I get to communicate to him in different ways-when he's there, and when he's not. lol. I realize it's an awkward way to put it.

• Najeebah
    6 years ago

I quite like the look as is. Blinds would work too though, but curtians give the wall some completion and warmth that blinds might lack. Add some art above the bed, consider bringing in a colour in scatter cushions, the art, lamp. No big issue but I'd like a bolder curtain rod, with brackets slightly further out to allow the curtains to open wider

• Najeebah
    6 years ago

"trees and grey sky-it's not like they clash:)"

Lol, good description

6 years ago

Thanks for the photo of the carpet. Still a fan of the first photo, with the Ikea grey bedding and the curtains without the grommets.

If you really have doubts (I'm hoping "nervous" is just an overstatement lol), I'd get an accent pillow/cushion for the bed that combines some grey and light brown -- problem solved. Something like this, from ClaroCasa at Etsy,

6 years ago

A lot of people seem to end up in this forum because a room is missing something or seems blah or needs warmth, and as some have replied (april and palimpsest come to mind), it's usually because homeowners are so nervous about (using or working with) color and pattern (plus the dreaded "resale"), and also don't understand how texture is a requirement for a monochromatic palette, that they tend to go overboard with neutrals and the virtual absence of texture, then wonder why everything is white and boring, or beige and boring, or grey and boring, and the room lacks warmth and personality and oomph.

One easy way to add texture is with a throw blanket, and since you have Ikea nearby, try Ofelia in grey. Also check Zara Home and H&M Home for inexpensive bedding/textiles in a variety of textures.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

You must have added the gray for a reason. Can you explain what type of look you were going for?

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I honestly have had the gray bedding in there for a long time so I'm not opposed to getting new bedding. I just saw the look at ikea and went for it, not any particular reason.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

ok...I'll show you several looks..nevermind budget right now or even colors..just the main idea

what draws you in the most..if at all?

partial floral embroidery

tailored and simple

textured solid..here, croshet

again embroidered details but a bit less romantic

a bit funky modern geometry

a color plus pattern

a soft unstructured look

several tailored solids together

relaxed linen, a bit bohemian ..decadent(lol) look?

strong contrasting colors?

(notice how they pile on things btw..easier for them of course as even the background they've got is fab. then they've got linen, cotton, cashmere.. painted wood ,stained wood, untreated wood ,several metals, books, flowers, glass..glass, they could leave out lol but whatever..the main idea is there. they also mix old and new. )

ok..fortunately for everyone my limit of photos per post is up:)

again disregard exact colors..just a general feeling of what attracts you the most if anything(since there are many many more..)

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

Okay, how about sticking with the white bedding and adding in a third color with the brown carpeting? I like blues and brown together. You could add a pillow like this to the white bedding.

Then add a throw at the end of the bed to bring in more of the blue. https://www.wayfair.com/One-Allium-Way-Euharlee-Throw-Blanket-OAWY1361.html

Then you could add a pretty floral curtain.

Thoughts?

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

aprilneverends - I do like the last picture with the yellow and the black together. The colors are bold and stand out nicely.

katinparadise - I do like the curtains you posted. Where did you find those? I might try looking at JCPenneys tomorrow for their curtains. I do like being able to look at the product before buying it.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

ctaron last pic is the most deceiving..)) you know why? you see it already as part of a space. prettily furnished and styled

while the rest, you see without any context

just had to be fair to other bedding lol

*I love the last picture too. I'm drawn to unstructured, first of all..soft fabrics..then colors and patterns...But everybody is sooo different in that regard.

it's so personal, all of that, that I don't believe in some very general advice.

So, what did I learn...you love strong bold contrast..as your first choice of bedding suggested.(lol)

so indulge yourself. go with it..add another color that would contrast/complement it..whether in curtains, throw, throw pillows, you name it...it will all fall together and you'll be pleased. And will want something else for the room. It's okay. Don't stop until you want to:)

very good call on the white background of curtains that catinparadise posted..if you're leaving the walls white-white background would probably work the best in your room. couldn't agree more.

keep your context in mind..since contrast can be black and white but also plum and yellow..blue and brown..one can go on and on. It can be a sharper contrast or a softer one. And you can use both.

don't repeat my mistakes though-don't match precisely. that's how I started and it felt so flat..pretty combo, everything by the book, but I was climbing up the walls until I understood that every pallette needs some freedom

ok, too talkative..shutting up for now..good luck shopping! please share your process with us if you'll feel like it-that's always exciting

• PRO
    ResCom Designs
    6 years ago

I am going back to your original question and would suggest a simple roller shade. You can opt for a blackout fabric so that the guest can sleep comfortably or a light filtering option (second photo). A roller shade does not use any space, especially as the bedroom is small therefore you are able to use all the available space for furniture. Also roller shades have a wide variety of colour options so that you can find something that matches the existing bed sheets or choose something that will match with a variety of bedding.

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Anyone like any of these combinations?

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

6 years ago

Love the navy curtains, and it looks good with the cushions, though I would definitely want at least one set of pillows/cases in a print, either navy/white or the gray/white Ikea bedding set, which would also work for me. Add a throw in navy, like this from Nautica at Nordstrom, and you're done,

By the way, a cheap alternative to a window shade are the temporary paper shades (I think Redi-Shade is one brand) they sell for when you've just moved in. We have one shade that we've kept because it's not unattractive and the price was right (about $5). It stays up with a clip on each side. That might work for you under the curtain if you want to hide the view when guests come to stay.

6 years ago

Does the budget allow for a different lamp on the nightstand? I'm thinking something a bit larger and wider, with more presence. These are all Safavieh at Home Depot,

ctaron thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Do you like any of these throw pillows to use as the texture instead of the blue throw pillows that are on there now?

Btw, the sheets are the dark gray sheets.

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Budget does allow for another lamp! I'm definitely going to look into that, just need to finalize curtains and sheets first.

6 years ago

I like #3 in the top row of the Ikea cushions. And I think you need only one, rather than a pair.

And I think you could easily substitute the white and gray Ikea bedding for the gray bedding. If you swapped out the white pillowcases for the gray and white, I think that would look spiffy, esp with one navy throw cushion centered.

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• motupeg
    6 years ago

I like the blue curtains.

6 years ago

ctaron, that looks great. You can play around if you want, print pillowcases in the front or in the back, gray solid or white solid, new Ikea print cushion. But that's the gist of it. You have a very welcoming guest room now, and a new lamp, throw, and shade/sheer curtain could be the perfect finishing touches. The smaller lamp that's by the bed now would probably work on the dresser; I can't see too much of that area in your original photo.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

There you go! Looks good. One nitpicky suggestion-if you turn your comforter 90 degrees, it will actually fit the bed a bit better. It will come down and cover the box spring on the end. Navy is a nice idea for a lamp. The height you have now is good, just need something with a little more bulk. A throw at the end to break up the white would help as well. Any plans for a headboard?

• Laureta Alme
    6 years ago

Looking good! I like the white walls and spread with the blue pattern on the curtains and the pillows. You retain the feeling of space with the pillows providing color and pattern. The texture of the spread is a really nice touch. There is just one thing missing. One of Becky's large blue lamps on the table in the corner would finish it off perfectly.