SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happyday321

Pretty please, critique my kitchen plan!!

happyday321
6 years ago

Time to get your input, pretty please!! Attached is proposed layout for our kitchen (new construction)

The window in the kitchen faces southwest.

Specifically looking for input on the fridge / freezer situation. my husband really wanted large fridge /freezer. so we are getting thermador columns and putting them on either side of the doorway to the butler's pantry (which leads to the formal dining room). the fridge is 36" column and the freezer is a 30" column and the door opening between them is 4 ft long. do you think this will feel closed in the way it is laid out?

at this point we are thinking of doing both fridge and freezer in stainless, but we have also considered doing only the fridge in stainless, and the freezer paneled.

There will be a mantle hood over the range, not drawn in the pictures.

I truly appreciate hearing your thoughts!!

Comments (19)

• cpartist
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

What are your aisle widths?

I think the plan looks good but I'd move the prep sink down a bit so you have room on the right side of the sink and put the DW there. I would also make the two cabinets between the freezer and pantry drawers too. You can't have too many drawers.

happyday321 thanked cpartist
  • Related Discussions

Critique my Kitchen Lighting Plan, please!

Q

Comments (1)
    Did you peruse the recessed LED can guide thread? You could layout the lights on a 3' to 3.5' grid for the kitchen area and 4' for the rest of the space
    ...See More

Please critique my initial kitchen plans

Q

Comments (6)
    I'd be tempted to move the range to the pots and pans drawer location...giving you more prep space between sink and range. Seating at the island may be a little tight...you may want to make the island eating side a bit narrower. It should still be okay for drinks...and you have the table. Have you considered a banquette against the windows? It looks a little tight there, too. Also, how low are those windows? It might be safer to have the banquette there, too...especially with a separate dining room for larger gatherings :)
    ...See More

Critique my kitchen plans please!

Q

Comments (12)
    lisacent. I did this layout before you provided your additional info, so I'm not sure how exact this is. A few things to consider. I personally don't have my microwave positioned over my range, so I know that this might be an important feature for you. But if someone told me I could have a pantry for food, if I just agreed to the microwave over the range, I'd do it. So I have put this in the plan for you. Also I gave you corner cabinets. I think you need the space for storage, so I'm utilizing every inch. i have also included a cabinet for trash and recyclables next to your sink and dishwasher. Another thing to consider if you're on a budget is that it's cheaper to get a 36" cabinet from IKEA than a 12" and a 24" cabinet. This plan I sketched needs ALOT of refining and changes, but I hope it will just give you another perspective about your space.
    ...See More

Please kindly (or ruthlessly ) critique my kitchen plans

Q

Comments (60)
    You better go easy on your neck or your going to give new meaning to "kitchen rehab" Yes, It is induction and I do really like it. It took some getting used to and there are pluses and minuses. A minus being that sauté pans sometimes move a bit when I stir them unless I'm are holding it with the other hand. I know that sounds silly and something I wouldn't have even thought of, but it just takes getting used to. Another minus is juggling pan sizes a bit so that they will fit on the "burner" circles. A big plus is that even my not terribly expensive pans cook beautifully and ultra evenly because the heat is so well distributed. I love how easy it is to clean up. No more heavy grates to remove and scrub. Stuff really does not bake on the cooktop at all. I can wipe it totally clean in 10 seconds even after a long day of cooking. Also, love how I don't get hot standing in front of it. There is just so much less heat coming off it. It think this will be a big plus in the summer. Yes water does boil fast and that's nice, but even better is how it holds a very low even simmer. My gas range always seemed to simmer too high.
    ...See More
  • happyday321
    Original Author
    6 years ago

good point - didn't think of that. yes it will be for washing prep items, and it will be a full-size DW. here's one more picture (of the island layout). there is a microwave drawer there to contend with also. Which one makes more sense to have directly across from the stove, the MW or the DW?

one more question - that tall pantry cabinet that is on the same wall as the freezer - would it look better to get rid of this and just continue with upper and lower cabinets all the way across? or does it look better to keep the pantry cabinet to balance out the freezer on that wall? we have plenty of storage elsewhere so really wondering about the aesthetics of it...

• happyday321
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thank you!

aisle widths are 4'

my thought on keeping the prep sink at the end of the island was to have more continuous counter space on the island...

• chispa
    6 years ago

If you are going to panel the fridge, you should also panel the freezer. I think they both need to be the same, either paneled or stainless, but not a mix.

• Buehl
    6 years ago

I would put at least a 9" wide cabinet b/w the end of the island and the sink. This helps minimize splashing and dripping water onto the floor as well as gives you landing space to increase functionality and minimize the chance of knocking things off the end of the island.

The 9" wide cabinet could hold cutting boards.

Two DWs...be aware that by splitting the DWs you will probably be running around trying to find things in the DW. You may plan to put prep dishes in the island DW and place setting/serving dishes in the other DW, but the reality is that unless you are rigidly disciplined to never ever cross-use them, it really won't happen the way you plan. (The best laid plans....) And if you have a spouse and/or children, it's even worse! Most people will put things in the closest DW, regardless of the DW's designated "use".

This was a hot topic a few years ago and the consensus was that if you have two DWs, they should be near each other, not separated. Those who had separated theirs regretted it in the reality of every day use.

Other than the above two issues, I think the layout looks good -- assuming you have decent aisles.

Are you planning seating at the island? If so, plan for at least 60" b/w the island and the table to allow traffic to pass b/w the island and table.

If you plan to have a seat at each end of the table, plan for at least

• 48" b/w the french doors and the end of the table, even more would be better (say, another 12")
    • 51" (or more) b/w the freezer wall counters and the end of the table

If you do plan seating at the island, what do you plan for cabinets?

• With just one set of cabinets, the island should be at least 41.5" deep:
      1.5" counter overhang in the front + 24"D cabinets + 1" decorative door/end panel + 15" seating overhang (minimum recommended) = 41.5"
    • You show a 48"D island...that only allows for 6.5"D cabinets along the back
      --or--
      You could have a much deeper overhang, which is fine since 15" is the minimum recommended. If you and/or your family are tall, you might appreciate a deeper overhang. (I wish we had gone with at least 18" instead of the minimum of 15".)

Finally, remember that aisle widths are measured to/from the items that stick out into aisles the farthest -- counter edges, appliance handles, walls, etc. They are not measured cabinet-to-cabinet. Cabinet measurements only include the cabinet boxes, not the doors/drawer fronts (extend 1" from the cabinet box) or the counter overhang (extends 1.5" from the cabinet box).

happyday321 thanked Buehl
  • rebunky
    6 years ago

Your kitchen will be gorgeous! There are just a few things I’d change if it was my kitchen. I wish!

I would definately not do the glass in the cabs flanking the range. I store all my oils, large spice bottles, and other things regularly used in cooking in those cabs, so those aren’t that pretty to look at. You might have other plans for those that you want to see. The other thought is that grease and steam would most likely build up and show up more on glass. Even with an awesome hood, I think you’ll need to clean the glass more often. I think the place I’d choose for pretty glass cabs would be flanking the clean up sink, as I’d put pretty glasses and other decorative dishes in those.

I love the idea of 2 dw’s. I have 2 as well. But I’d not want it on the island in your case. I’d put one on either side of the main sink. More drawers on island for prep items. Then on the island, I’d put a big dish drawer/silverware cabinet on the short end facing the one DW on right. It’s so easy then to unload from the dw right into the drawers. But, it will need enough isle space of course. I have this setup. My isle, dw to island with dish drawer, is 53” and works perfect with plenty space even with drawer fully opened.

Lastly, what sizes are the main sink and prep sink? They look kind of small on the drawings.

happyday321 thanked rebunky
  • happyday321
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thanks for all your helpful suggestions!

@buehl, I think u just helped me convince my husband not to get the second dishwasher!! =) it was always his thing to get two dishwashers, but I’m concerned that even with them side by side, I’d have to be a DW nazi to get people to use the right one We have extended family here all the time and they would never remember...

will check on the space around the island and table, and post back here after I look at the plan again. Appreciate your input!!!

@rebunky, Re: size of sinks - that is something I was concerned about too... the main farmhouse sink at the window is 30” wide- so pretty big but maybe out of proportion with the large window?? That’s partly why I added legs next to the sink, to make it look more substantial. Do you think I should go bigger though?

we currently have prep sink for 15x17

re: glass cabinets next to the range, I did that mainly to break things up a bit. I do have narrow pullout shelves next to the range for spices if you look closely at the plan. =)

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    6 years ago

If you are often running multiple loads in one day I would get the 2 dishwashers but have them flanking the sink. The prep sink on the island is great but move it over ( as others have said ) especially so you can take out of the ref. and have a landing zone. I would also put the garbage in the island so you can access from everywhere... Make sure hood is 6" wider than the stove since it is a huge range with a lot of BTUS...I like the freezer with the Pantry but match the door shapes.

Looks great!

Good luck!

happyday321 thanked Debbi Washburn
  • happyday321
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Eeek!!!

Ok here is the floor plan with dimensions. I’m getting a little concerned about the space for the dining table!! What they are calling the dining nook, in case it is hard to see, is 12’ wide (starting from the edge of the island) and 15’8” long (but that includes the cabinets on the wall with the freezer). What do you think????? Does the table need to be centered on the French doors to look right? Was planning on putting a chandelier over this table...

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I agree - no glass in cabinets near the range. I'm not crazy about the two cabinets on either side of that big window. If you don't desperately need the space they provide, I'd not put any there. And I would get a larger sink - make this the true focal point of your kitchen.

happyday321 thanked Anglophilia
  • lucky998877
    6 years ago

Ok, I'm not a pro by any means and I'm totally form over function....so, I love the idea of integrating the freezer only and keeping the tall pantry cabinet. I love their symmetry, I love the cozy counter top area between them for display/decor, and "hiding" the freezer...your guests will probably never to need to find it. The refrigerator should stay stainless (in my eyes) to balance out the huge range. I'm dying to see this kitchen come to life!! Lucky you!

happyday321 thanked lucky998877
  • Mrs Pete
    6 years ago
    • Looking at this picture, I see a couple items of concern:

- The sink is the single hardest working item in the kitchen, and yours is across an aisle /a pathway in/out of the house (note, too, that opening the dishwasher will block that aisle). I'd give up the prep sink and go with one big sink on the island. It'd keep all your main work items together.

- While I love glass front cabinets, I wouldn't want them near the stovetop -- too much cleaning.

- I think you might be better off downsizing the table a notch. Imagine chairs at the end of this table ... if someone's sitting down /leaves a chair pulled out, it'll block a passageway. A modest-sized round (or octagonal) table would work well in this area; it would allow for better circulation.

- You're giving a prime location to the freezer ... yet it's not something you use every day, and when you do use it, it's only for a moment. Could the freezer go into the mudroom? Or even the garage?

• cpartist
    6 years ago

- The sink is the single hardest working item in the kitchen, and yours is across an aisle /a pathway in/out of the house (note, too, that opening the dishwasher will block that aisle). I'd give up the prep sink and go with one big sink on the island. It'd keep all your main work items together.

The prep sink is the hardest working item in the kitchen, not the cleanup sink. Cleanup takes about 20% of the time in the kitchen. I absolutely would NOT give up the prep sink for one sink on the island.

- While I love glass front cabinets, I wouldn't want them near the stovetop -- too much cleaning.

Agree. I have that now in our NY rental, and that glass just never looks quite clean.

- I think you might be better off downsizing the table a notch. Imagine chairs at the end of this table ... if someone's sitting down /leaves a chair pulled out, it'll block a passageway. A modest-sized round (or octagonal) table would work well in this area; it would allow for better circulation.

Your table area is plenty large.

- You're giving a prime location to the freezer ... yet it's not something you use every day, and when you do use it, it's only for a moment. Could the freezer go into the mudroom? Or even the garage?

Your freezer is fine where it is because you have plenty of storage in the kitchen.

happyday321 thanked cpartist
  • happyday321
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You’re absolutely right the sink is in a main thoroughfare, but I just don’t think I can give up my cleanup sink at the window!!! The aisle width on the floor plan is 48” and we are pretty petite people in this household so I’m thinking we’re ok.

Which brings me to another thought I had - what do you think about moving the island slightly by decreasing the aisle width between the island and the range wall by 6”? That would take that aisle from 48” to 42”, so probably still ok... and help out with clearance for the table on the other side? BTW We did decide to NOT to get the 2nd dishwasher that is drawn on the plan.

Also re: glass cabinets next to the range, we will have a pretty powerful vent, does that make a difference? From an aesthetic standpoint, I think the monotony of white mantle hood with white solid cabinets across the whole wall would bother me.

You guys are so so awesome, I can’t tell you how helpful this forum is to me!!

• Heather Maciaszek
    6 years ago
    Hey there,

I have a somewhat similar set up, with an exit an hallway to the mudroom sort of cutting through the path between the main sink and oven and just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

Major caveat: our kitchen reno was not well planned out. Those who have seen my past posts know we made all sorts of mistakes so I'm calling out the below to help others avoid my (costly) mistakes.

While I love having a triple window over my 36" farm sink, I would personally do it all over and put my main sink in the island so that I could have my oven and main sink across from one another. The biggest lesson I learned from my reno is I much prefer that set up as it's so efficient.

Granted you have the prep sink in the island - I don't (and plan on putting one there one day.) I find it SUPER inconvenient to have the main sink far from the oven. Especially if you take the dishwasher out of the island, any time you bring your used pots and pans for cleaning your walking across a traffic area to get to the sink.

Also, where are utensils and bowls and plates? My oven being far from my main sink is also far from my utensil drawer. Because most people put the utensils close to the dishwasher so when they unload the dishwasher every thing is together. So if I want to stir a pot of whatever on the range, I have to walk to go get the spoon which is near my dishwasher, not the oven. It's annoying.

Just make sure (because no one told me this!) to think through how all your activities will work: loading, unloading dishwasher, set the table, filling pots with water AND dumping them, etc. :-)
  • Heather Maciaszek
    6 years ago
    Hey there,

I have a somewhat similar set up, with an exit an hallway to the mudroom sort of cutting through the path between the main sink and oven and just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

Major caveat: our kitchen reno was not well planned out. Those who have seen my past posts know we made all sorts of mistakes so I'm calling out the below to help others avoid my (costly) mistakes.

While I love having a triple window over my 36" farm sink, I would personally do it all over and put my main sink in the island so that I could have my oven and main sink across from one another. The biggest lesson I learned from my reno is I much prefer that set up as it's so efficient.

Granted you have the prep sink in the island - I don't (and plan on putting one there one day.) I find it SUPER inconvenient to have the main sink far from the oven. Especially if you take the dishwasher out of the island, any time you bring your used pots and pans for cleaning your walking across a traffic area to get to the sink.

Also, where are utensils and bowls and plates? My oven being far from my main sink is also far from my utensil drawer. Because most people put the utensils close to the dishwasher so when they unload the dishwasher every thing is together. So if I want to stir a pot of whatever on the range, I have to walk to go get the spoon which is near my dishwasher, not the oven. It's annoying.

Just make sure (because no one told me this!) to think through how all your activities will work: loading, unloading dishwasher, set the table, filling pots with water AND dumping them, etc. :-)
  • rebunky
    6 years ago

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2670593/glass-cabs-on-either-side-of-hood?n=19

I thought of this thread regarding your question about the glass cabs and if your hood is powerful.

This comment by Sophie cracked me up then and still is one of my favorites!

”Do you have a vent that would suck the toupee off of Lorne Green? If not, then don't do it. If you do, then start planning your MUA installation.”

What about using a seeded or seedy glass? I think that would hide the grease spots and looks great imho.

I was going to put seedy glass in my stacked glass upper cabinets eventually. I have the clear glass still and a powerful hood. This is what happens to the ones close to the stove. Can you see the tiny grease spots? I know what I’m doing today! Where’s my windex? ;-)

• Cheryl Hewitt
    6 years ago

Also re: glass cabinets next to the range, we will have a pretty powerful vent, does that make a difference?

I have glass doors flanking my range hood and the glass doesn't get dirty/greasy. I have a Vent-a-hood.

happyday321 thanked Cheryl Hewitt