SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acliu99

Electric Cooktop & slide in ranges - ease of use & cleaning questions

Lcoaster
6 years ago

I'm remodeling my kitchen and planning to replace my freestanding range with either a slide in or a cooktop (electric non-induction). I share my kitchen with my elderly in-law, and whenever he cooks the top of the range is a mess (with water, sauce and grease splatters). I've been reading reviews for days, and no particular model jumps out as a clear winner. I have some questions that I hope experienced folks can answer.

(1) Cooktop control with knobs vs. touch screen. I prefer the look of cooktops with touch sensors, but I think the knobs would be easier for my in-law to see and use. I have concerns about cleaning both types. (a) For the knob controls, will liquid spills damage the control knobs over time? How easy is it to clean spills that fall into any cracks under/around the knobs? (b) For the touch sensors, if I need to clean a spill in that area, can I scrub (with the glass/ceramic top cleaners) without damaging the sensors? I have a GE glass (or ceramic) electric range now and it takes serious elbow grease to clean the surface after meals (especially when my in-law cooks).

(2) Slide in ranges. Several of the models I'm interested in have what appears to be a vent on the rear side of the surface top like this GE https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-5-3-cu-ft-Slide-In-Electric-Range-with-Self-Cleaning-Convection-Oven-in-Stainless-Steel-JS760SLSS/302557708. If food or liquid spills down there, can you remove the cover to clean it? I don't see that info in the product descriptions.

If this were my in law's kitchen, I'm sure he'll want to stay with a traditional freestanding range with the controls up on the rear panel. But this is my kitchen, and since we're planning to spend so much on a remodel, I'd really like to update the look of the appliances. I'm hoping to get something that works for both of us.

Comments (2)