SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klc948

Please help with ugly front flowerbeds! (Houston)

klc948
6 years ago

My husband and I bought a new construction home in the spring and are finally getting around to updating the front yard. The builder did a horrible job landscaping the front flowerbeds (first time home buyers... we should have requested they fix them up!) and they need an overhaul.

The flowers have all died, not sure if it was poor planting or something we didn't do but we've since pulled them out. We have the hearty green shrubs (4) and and taller tree to the right side of the bed left as a starting base (on the larger bed on the right side of the house).

Our house faces the west so we get some very strong afternoon sun which is very, very hot in the summer in Texas. We plan to reshape the bed to make it a straight rectangle like the photo below.

My question is -- how do we make the best use of this space?! Should we plant 3 rows of plants / flowers - tall, medium, short? Or space things out more so that the bed is not totally full?

As far as colors, we like mostly cooler tones so if we add flowers, blues, purples, etc. would be our preferred route.

Any and all suggestions welcomed!

Comments (10)