SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmd2006

Insulating an unvented shed/workshop

Mark Davis
6 years ago

Hi

I have a barn-type shed/workshop and need to insulate it with an unvented roof section open to the lower level. The roof section is 2/4s on 24 in. centers, with 3 planes (angles) on each side. The roof is comprised of plywood sheathing nailed to the studs and covered with metal roofing panels. I don't know if there's anything between the metal roofing and roof sheathing. Venting from the factory is via one under-gable vent at each end. No ridge vent. No soffit vents. The plan is to cover the two provided vents.

I'm insulating the lower section (vertical walls) with R-13 paper-faced insulation. Walls and interior roof will be covered with 1/2" finished drywall.

My main question is how to most economically insulate the roof section and protect the roof sheathing from water vapor.

The shed/workshop will be heated by a thermostat-controlled electric heater -- minimal heat needed in order to protect a refrigerator (supplemental to the house's refrigerator) from freezing solid during weeks of sub-freezing weather.

Wondering whether R-13 paper-faced insulation (paper toward living space) could be applied between the 2x4 rafters, and in contact with the roof sheathing, if 6-mil visqueen is applied prior to the drywall, and all seams caulked and/or taped.

Would this not prevent moisture from condensing onto the roof sheathing?

Thank you for helping me understand the problems with this approach and, if this approach is not advisable, what's the next-best economical means to achieve my goals.

Mark

Comments (3)