SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
niff_gw

Insulation / venting strategy for 1/2 basement / carwl

niff
16 years ago

House: Brick foundation with balloon framing construction (1923) + new addition with stick framing on piers / brick veneer. The house has 1/2 basement and 1/2 crawlspace. The new addition space is all crawlspace. All of the basement and crawlspaces are "connected" w/o barrier walls separating them. The house mechanicals are located in the basement area (boiler and soon an AC air handler as well.) The old basement / crawl are not vented. The addition foundation has closable vents. There is currently no insulation between the basement / crawl and the first floor. I live in Norfolk, VA (Mixed - Humid)

Buildingscience.com recommendation for my climate is to go with an unvented basement / crawl.

Problem: Three walls in my basement are covered with mechanicals and other things that would make insulating the walls with rigid foam a nightmare. (My workshop is in the basement) This link shows just some of the stuff I'd have to either completely remove or work around: http://www.pbase.com/98niff/wood_shop. The crawlspace areas would be relatively easy to insulate with rigid foam as per Buildingscience recommendation.

Question: Is there an alternate insulating strategy than having to remove all of the mechanical lines from my basement walls in order to insulate with rigid foam? By rough count, I'd need to move 3 gas lines, 2 water lines, 10+ electrical lines, main electrical panel, structured media panel, chop saw station, 4" cast iron drain, etc, etc.

I suppose I could forgo insulating the basement part, but then the floors above are going to continue to be pretty cold in winter.

Looking for recommendations.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Scott

Comments (6)