SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ldstarr

Our reclaimed flooring

ldstarr
6 years ago

DH & I laid the reclaimed flooring we've been making for the last several weeks in our kitchen this weekend.

For some background, in 2010, we purchased a smallish home (circa 1838) in a small town. It was in very poor condition, and likely headed for demolition. We spent the next 5 years gutting the plaster, wiring, plumbing and interior wall layout. Then we re-installed all the infrastructure and new room layout. In the process of all this work, we saved as much of the old lumber as possible. It is a mix of pine, douglas fir and poplar. Once the home was liveable, we sold our home and moved into this "almost finished" home. We've been walking on OSB floors in the kitchen, front entry and mudroom. There are new white oak floors in the upstairs, living room and dining room. We decided the best use for all the saved lumber was to making it into flooring for the kitchen, so it has all the nails removed, planed to a common thickness and a groove on both sides and both ends of every piece. Below are pictures of the end result.

The piece of plywood showing in the 1st photo is where the dishwasher will be later. The whole floor is face nailed with old fashioned cut nails. Next week, I'll begin the process of applying the tung oil, which will darken it considerably.

Hope I didn't bore you folks to death, but I'm proud of the accomplishment.

Lisa

Comments (25)