SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenwoodframed

Reclaimed 11"wide pine floors- help with color!

8 years ago

We are renovating a 1855 townhouse which has the original subfloor almost completely untouched throughout. It is 11" wide, 5/4" thick pine plank flooring and is not particularly knotty. It is not tongue and groove as far as we can tell, and the spaces between the boards are filled with plaster and rope. We hope to remove, de-nail, plane and refinish enough of it to use it as the hardwood in our parlor floor, which is our living/dining/kitchen area and is around 850 sqft.

My issue is that we really are not fond of the very yellow color of pine lumber- see below for our kitchen inspiration colorscheme. We have gravitated more towards darker floors, but I don't want the pine planks to look weird stained that dark. It is more important for us to re-use the flooring than match a perfect color, but I'm having trouble finding pictures of pine of this wide stained dark. The floor is one of the few things in the house that we can maintain, and it's important to my husband and I that we use it if it's not totally cost prohibitive (we have a number of other aesthetic items which we will sacrifice to pay to restore the floors.)

The kitchen inspiration:

Our subfloor, obviously unfinished and unstained:

What would YOU do?

Comments (3)