SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike_cahill3

Ficus Alii recovery in progress - advice requested

Mike Cahill
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello, I purchased a Ficus Alii from a local greenhouse recently and was given what appears to be bad advice from them for the plant. They pointed out the roots growing out of the bottom of the plastic pot it was sold in and said I should plant it in a larger pot, to up pot the plant. I asked what kind of soil I should use (this is my first house plant). They said grab some potting soil from Walmart which I regretfully did. Now I've had it for 3 weeks with leaves dropping (average of 13 leaves dropped a day). So I spent some time reading the threads in here, much of Al's advice and I decided to totally repot this plant in a medium sized pot (the tree is about 3.5 feet tall).

To keep things a little simpler being such a novice, I opted for what seemed to be a close alternative to Al's soil mixture on Amazon. The product description says "Contains genuine high-grade Japanese Akadama, Turface¨ high-fired calcined clay for superior moisture retention, and FRIT vitamin and mineral blend with 28 nutrients for Bonsai trees and plants, perfectly formulated for Ficus, Chinese Elms, Jades, Junipers, and other Bonsai species".

So to start with, I am hoping that this blend is sufficient. I would appreciate some feedback on that. Now, I took the plant outside, cleaned the roots lightly but completely with a hose to get all of the old soil off. The soil was very salty. It also contained one earthworm, two centipedes (one large one small) and spiders. Terrible. Got all of the nonsense off, washed the pot, cleaned and dried the roots and added some of the new soil mixture to the pot, had a friend hold the ficus in the pot and filled the rest of it with the new soil mixture.

At this point I got the Ficus back in the house, watered it and cleared out the excess water from the collection plate. My question is, aside from advice on if my soil choice is good, how have I done so far and is my next step to purchase some fertilizer?

Also, a note on the roots. I trimmed off the couple of darker roots I saw (most were not dark and rotten, they were a tan colored). There were two extra long roots that I trimmed back to where the rest of the roots were. Their bottoms were much darker than the rest so it seemed the plant could use to have them trimmed.

Was anything done incorrectly and needs to be redone better? Should I purchase some fertilizer (product recommendations appreciated if so)? Thanks in advance, this forum has been very helpful thus far in it's depth of shared information by members.

Comments (38)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012