SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 10 - 14 - 17

User
6 years ago

William Penn Quotes
English - Leader October 14, 1644 - July 30, 1718

The jealous are troublesome to others, but a torment to themselves.
William Penn

A true friend freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, takes all patiently, defends courageously, and continues a friend unchangeably.
William Penn

Patience and Diligence, like faith, remove mountains.
William Penn

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it.
William Penn

Humility and knowledge in poor clothes excel pride and ignorance in costly attire.
William Penn

Justice is the insurance which we have on our lives and property. Obedience is the premium which we pay for it.
William Penn

True silence is the rest of the mind, and is to the spirit what sleep is to the body, nourishment and refreshment.
William Penn

It would be far better to be of no church than to be bitter of any.
William Penn

Time is what we want most, but what we use worst.
William Penn

Avoid popularity; it has many snares, and no real benefit.
William Penn

Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants.
William Penn

To be like Christ is to be a Christian.
William Penn

For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.
William Penn

Speak properly, and in as few words as you can, but always plainly; for the end of speech is not ostentation, but to be understood.
William Penn

Passion is the mob of the man, that commits a riot upon his reason.
William Penn

Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.
William Penn

Only trust thyself, and another shall not betray thee.
William Penn

Force may subdue, but love gains, and he that forgives first wins the laurel.
William Penn

Let the people think they govern and they will be governed.
William Penn

Knowledge is the treasure of a wise man.
William Penn

He that does good for good's sake seeks neither paradise nor reward, but he is sure of both in the end.
William Penn

He that lives to live forever, never fears dying.
William Penn

A good End cannot sanctify evil Means; nor must we ever do Evil, that Good may come of it.
William Penn

Love is the hardest lesson in Christianity; but, for that reason, it should be most our care to learn it.
William Penn

True godliness does not turn men out of the world, but enables them to live better in it and excites their endeavors to mend it.
William Penn

Love grows. Lust wastes by Enjoyment, and the Reason is, that one springs from an Union of Souls, and the other from an Union of Sense.
William Penn

Force may make hypocrites, but it can never make converts.
William Penn

Much reading is an oppression of the mind, and extinguishes the natural candle, which is the reason of so many senseless scholars in the world.
William Penn

To be a man's own fool is bad enough, but the vain man is everybody's.
William Penn

He who is taught to live upon little owes more to his father's wisdom than he who has a great deal left him does to his father's care.
William Penn

Sense shines with a double luster when it is set in humility. An able yet humble man is a jewel worth a kingdom.
William Penn

They have a right to censure that have a heart to help.
William Penn

Passion is a sort of fever in the mind, which ever leaves us weaker than it found us.
William Penn

The tallest Trees are most in the Power of the Winds, and Ambitious Men of the Blasts of Fortune.
William Penn

In marriage do thou be wise: prefer the person before money, virtue before beauty, the mind before the body; then thou hast a wife, a friend, a companion, a second self.
William Penn

Men are generally more careful of the breed of their horses and dogs than of their children.
William Penn

Between a man and his wife nothing ought to rule but love. Authority is for children and servants, yet not without sweetness.
William Penn

We are apt to love praise, but not deserve it. But if we would deserve it, we must love virtue more than that.
William Penn

Rarely promise, but, if lawful, constantly perform.
William Penn

Nothing does reason more right, than the coolness of those that offer it: For Truth often suffers more by the heat of its defenders, than from the arguments of its opposers.
William Penn

O Lord, help me not to despise or oppose what I do not understand.
William Penn

Truth often suffers more by the heat of its defenders than the arguments of its opposers.
William Penn

If thou wouldst conquer thy weakness, thou must never gratify it.
William Penn

Kings in this world should imitate God, their mercy should be above their works.
William Penn

Less judgment than wit is more sail than ballast.
William Penn

Some are so very studious of learning what was done by the ancients that they know not how to live with the moderns.
William Penn

Miles Franklin Quotes
Australian - Writer October 14, 1879 - September 19, 1954

It's a sign of your own worth sometimes if you are hated by the right people.
Miles Franklin

Someone to tell it to is one of the fundamental needs of human beings.
Miles Franklin

Katherine Mansfield Quotes
New Zealander - Author October 14, 1888 - January 9, 1923

If only one could tell true love from false love as one can tell mushrooms from toadstools.
Katherine Mansfield

Could we change our attitude, we should not only see life differently, but life itself would come to be different.
Katherine Mansfield

I love the rain. I want the feeling of it on my face.
Katherine Mansfield

Some couples go over their budgets very carefully every month. Others just go over them.
Katherine Mansfield

It is of immense importance to learn to laugh at ourselves.
Katherine Mansfield

I want, by understanding myself, to understand others. I want to be all that I am capable of becoming.
Katherine Mansfield

This is not a letter but my arms around you for a brief moment.
Katherine Mansfield

The pleasure of all reading is doubled when one lives with another who shares the same books.
Katherine Mansfield

I always felt that the great high privilege, relief and comfort of friendship was that one had to explain nothing.
Katherine Mansfield

Once we have learned to read, meaning of words can somehow register without consciousness.
Katherine Mansfield

It's a terrible thing to be alone - yes it is - it is - but don't lower your mask until you have another mask prepared beneath - as terrible as you like - but a mask.
Katherine Mansfield

I'm a writer first and a woman after.
Katherine Mansfield

Life never becomes a habit to me. It's always a marvel.
Katherine Mansfield

Make it a rule of life never to regret and never to look back. Regret is an appalling waste of energy, you can't build on it it's only good for wallowing in.
Katherine Mansfield

Everything in life that we really accept undergoes a change.
Katherine Mansfield

Would you not like to try all sorts of lives - one is so very small - but that is the satisfaction of writing - one can impersonate so many people.
Katherine Mansfield

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth.
Katherine Mansfield

Looking back, I imagine I was always writing. Twaddle it was too. But better far write twaddle or anything, anything, than nothing at all.
Katherine Mansfield

When we can begin to take our failures seriously, it means we are ceasing to be afraid of them. It is of immense importance to learn to laugh at ourselves.
Katherine Mansfield

I want to be all that I am capable of becoming.
Katherine Mansfield

What do you want most to do? That's what I have to keep asking myself, in the face of difficulties.
Katherine Mansfield

Whenever I prepare for a journey I prepare as though for death. Should I never return, all is in order.
Katherine Mansfield

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions