SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_317547

Dutch/Mansard roof dormer - change doghouse to curved/segmental??

HU-317547
6 years ago

We a neck-deep in reviving a midcentury home here in our Raleigh, NC neighborhood. As we are only the second owner, we've taken on A LOT of the not-so-fun work in addition to the prettier polishes. Right now though we're embarking on the exterior work. Since this photo was taken, we've taken out several pines and the roof replacement is scheduled for a few weeks from now.

Our big DILEMMA right now though is the idea of having some carpentry work done on the top of those two upstairs dormers. I've never been a huge fan of mansard/dutch roofs but we're trying to lean in on the design and work with it instead making so many changes that would otherwise betray the vintage and original design of the house (because I REALLY hate it when people do that to homes).

We've taken out many large/leggy/non-salvageable 50-year old shrubs that were otherwise choking the house in the front, and that has (for now) helped to visually balance out the imposing roof line. As you can see, there are doghouse dormers on the upstairs portion. We are strongly considering changing those to curved/segmental dormer tops - with the goal of helping to soften the visual stronghold on the main roof. Thoughts/opinions/gut reactions are welcome and appreciated!! Have any of you done that before? I had a hard time finding before/after examples where folks changed the dormer shape in such a way....

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Doug Walter Architect
    6 years ago

I second Sombreuil's preference for the segmental arch, very soft and gentle. the true arch is too stark, and no improvement over the low peaks you have now. And they look fabulous in copper! Being in North Carolina, they may even patina to a verde color. Here in Colorado, copper simply goes brown.

HU-317547 thanked Doug Walter Architect
  • Milly Rey
    6 years ago

This is a very clumsy mansard and I'd rather just straighten the walls, if possible, by furring then out for vertical siding and putting in eaves. They're just too vertical to be a proper mansard now.

• emmarene9
    6 years ago

I just wanted to say that I really like this house and although you haven't mentioned it I must say please don't paint the brick or remove the shutters. It is so charming!

• HU-317547
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Milly Rey - I get that mansards aren't for everyone but we aren't planning to betray the style. I've seen far too many homes where that part of the mansard roof has been "neutered," straightened out and then covered in siding. It never looks quite right to me, and always feels like a betrayal to the original home. See also, the butchering that people once did on arts/crafts-style homes, etc.

• HU-317547
    Original Author
    6 years ago

emmarene - thank you so kindly! We are definitely rescuing her from the cliff of abandonment and it is a hard-fought but good battle. And although I've often been charmed by painted brick on other homes, I've never been tempted to do it myself. The almost-calico brick here is unique and lovely, and has stood the test of time for a reason - so we would never cover that up. See also - why turn a non-maintenance item into a maintenance item? :-)

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

I vote for the segmental arch if you feel you have to change it.

The arched former would start skewing this house toward a French or 1960s Regency mansard while the rest is 1960s Colonial revival.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

The architect who designed my house was enamored of mansard roofs and of the 5 styles of houses he designed for my block, my variant is the only one without a mansard. The other new houses on the block (new meaning 1960s) are also mansard.

This tour-de-force is the architect's own house, a project he worked on over decades, I don't know exactly what it is, but it's something

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

Web user--I do like good mansards. That one just looks like an oops.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

Is this part of a development? Is there a garrison version or non-split ranch version of this house?

• tatts
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Palimpsest: Aaaargh! I walk past that house many days while walking to work! (not directly in front of it,, because it's on a little street that goes nowhere). I almost bought a house 5 doors away from that, to the right (but it was tiny and needed lots of work).

It does not suit that neighborhood at all (it's on a narrow cobblestone street Rittenhouse Square in center city Philadelphia). Actually, I'm not sure it suits any neighborhood. ;-)

• tatts
    6 years ago

To the OP: The best thing you can do with that roof, since it is so visible, is to use the best material possible (walls shouldn't be covered in asphalt shingles). Cedar or slate shingles would be ideal.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

tatts, it doesn't really bother me because it is on such a mixed use little street and sort of tucked away. It's not breaking any continuity, because there isn't any.

I think it's kind of fascinating, bizarrely ugly and beautiful at the same time. It's like the Roman aqueducts

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH