SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
not2bright

Keyboard Key Goes Crazy, Produces Text

not2bright
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This morning my desktop keyboard suddenly started doing something I can't explain and can't find information on online. I was typing something in a text editor (Notepad++) and hit the '1' key -- the one above the letters, not the "numerical keypad" at the right. The computer then beeped and produced the following:

uytrewqc
!

After the computer produced that text, the cursor was positioned after the exclamation point and was changed to the horizontal 'insert' cursor, not the regular vertical cursor.

The letters are obviously "qwerty' spelled backwards with the 'u' preceeding. I don't know where the 'c' and exclamation point then come from. And there must've been an "enter" in there to jump down a line. Other than that.... ??

I've found that, even though the text above produced the exclamation point, I can't do so manually. If I hit Shift + the '1' key, I get no response whatsoever.

I'll be scanning my computer for viruses, spyware, etc. (which I actually did yesterday) just to be sure it's nothing like that. But I thought I'd post this first in the meantime to see if anyone here has any suggestions. (Oh, I'll also try to remove that key and clean underneath in case it's some foreign matter causing this.)

Thanks for any feedback. :-)

UPDATE: Avast's Smart Scan, MBAM, and Super Anti-Spyware all came up negative for any mischief (other than some tracking cookies).

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!