SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
friss_collins

Growing moss in a desert

Friss Collins
6 years ago

Howdy!

I found a hanging pot of beautiful rainbow/peacock moss and instantly fell in love. Bought it, brought it home, etc. Unfortunately I live in Colorado which is certainly NOT a humid place.

I have misted the leaves as best as I could without a spray bottle and have been keeping an eye on how moist the soil is. It has been with me for a few days and looks fine generally. Left town for a few days and a small number of spindles have dried up and fallen off. My mother watered it and misted it with a newfound bottle (unfortunately with cold water, argh!). I carefully picked off the dead foliage that hadn't fallen. It is still happy and full looking despite the hair loss.

The room I have it in is simultaneously shaded and bright, I dont know how else to describe it. The succulent in the room is straining toward the light (poor thing needs a better home) and yet I suspect that the side of moss which had been nearest to the windows suffered the most loss. The first snow came in which reflects light in more strongly despite the blinds being drawn and angled up to a different hanging plant I have.

It is probably too early to be concerned yet but I really want this little fella to thrive. Any advice for caring for a moss in a state renowned for being dry? Daily mistings? All advice I've seen on lighting is very mixed as well.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH