SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sirk9895

Newbie question: how much water?

K
6 years ago

Hi all!

So, I recently (as I posted on these forums) planted a total of five 4' skip laurels, 3 pragense viburnum and a Redbud tree.

These are organized-- parallel to my back fence--as follows (from highest point in yard to lowest--this is also the order in which the planting areas received the water from the soaker-- so last plant is at end of soaker line):

Water Timer ZONE 1: 25 ' soaker hose attached to Zone 1 on my battery timer which is covered in mulch, wrapped loosely around:

• Three skip laurel with a 25' drip hose wrapped loosely around each plant, covered in mulch -- this is ZONE 1 on my battery timer

...Then the yard slopes a bit (there is approx 30' of lawn here).

Water Timer Zone 2: 75' soaker hose attached to Zone 2on my battery timer which is covered in mulch, wrapped loosely around:

• Two skip laurel (this is 'Part A' of zone 2, for clarity below)

• ...then 6' space of lawn

• One redbud tree.. (this is 'Part B' of zone 2, for clarity below)

• ...then 6' space of lawn

• Three Pragense Viburnum (these are individually mulched, versus the skip laurels, which are in rounded rectangle mulch area. I had about 15-20' extra soaker here, and realized that the extra long hose may result in the Viburnum not getting enough water, being at end of the soaker, so I doubled up on these. Lets refer to this area as 'part C' of zone 2, for clarity?

I started out watering zone 1 and zone 2 (separately-- not great water flow at my house) for 120 minutes every day. The planting areas seemed flooded every morning. Especially Zone 2, parts A & B, Part C was not as bad

Then I started doing that every other day, this seemed...better... But the 'part A' and 'part B' areas of zone 2 seem to still be 'flooded' on those days

So, today, I am attempting two 90 minute waterings, every 12 hours on M-W-F, to see if this improves things. My concern is that 'Area C' of zone 2 always seems 'just moist' as things are, while areas 'A' and 'B' look like ponds after the old schedule.

Here is my question. How long should I be watering these new plants? I have clay soil, which is why I suspect we have the ponding. There are also massive oak roots near the viburnum which could be sucking up this water... Is the two shorter period plan misguided?

Also, the new plants were almost certainly were stressed as I definitely under watered them over the 7-14 days I had them in the yard prior to planting them (did 2 mins per root ball). They dont look any worse, but--in my uneducated eye-- I am not seeing much improvement (its been two weeks since planting).

Sorry for the novel-- wanted to explain it as clearly as I can. I'd prefer not adding a zone for the viburnum, but I'd consider it if that is also a concern...

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations