SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
englishable

Rebuilding garden soil?

Lindsay 5a
6 years ago

This was our second year cultivating a very large vegetable garden (7,000+ sq ft) after purchasing our home in 2015. It did amazingly well, overall, in 2016, but after getting everything planted this spring, I wasn't able to keep up with it (I was very pregnant this summer!) and my husband did the best he could on his own, but the weeds are out of control. We also noticed in both years that there are spots in the garden that do not do well - for example, in our row of cucumbers, only the few on the north end of the row grew well and as you moved south down the row, the plants got smaller and smaller. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the soil or something else.

So we are considering not putting in a garden next year and instead focusing on adding fertility and getting control of the weeds (mostly quack grass, some pigweed, and some purslane).

My idea is to till everything under in the next week or two, add some manure and plant a winter cover crop. In the spring (2018), till that in, add more manure, our compost and this fall's leaves and then plant a spring cover crop. Close to July, mow that down and then possibly cover the whole garden with black plastic and leaving it through the hottest part of summer and all winter. In spring 2019, remove the plastic, till again and plant our garden.

I've read conflicting information about using plastic, so I had some questions. Would soil solarization even be effective? We get a few 80+ days each summer, but it doesn't stay hot for weeks at a time or anything. Should we use black or clear plastic? If it doesn't get hot enough here for heat, using clear plastic, to kill the weeds, would blocking the sun with black plastic be a better idea? And should the plastic be permeable? Since it's such a large area, do we want to ensure water reaches the soil so we don't also end up killing the soil microbes and other beneficials? We want to increase fertility, not create a wasteland!

And if my whole plan is flawed - what would you do if you had a year to improve your soil and significantly reduce weeds?

Comments (14)