SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandra_tukuafu

Wood Stove Advice on Burning.

Sandra Jacobs
6 years ago

My husband and I just purchased a 117 yr old home with a 1976 beast of a wood stove by Kodiak that heats 2500sqft. So here's the low down. I grew up with a wood stove and I know how to start a fire and chop firewood and kindling and I had to teach my husband how to do this. He's a bit of a city boy. But I don't know about how to operate a wood stove. So I called my father and he told me to open the flue full to get air flow in and to open the air intake full to get the fire going real good and to lower the air intake down once it's going. So I did that. And the heat is at about 200 consistently that way. But it say's on my thermostat to get it above 225F so as not to form Creosote in the chimney. So I got it going and it huffs. So I turn down the air intake. Then the temp goes down. And I have white smoke going out the top. And they say white smoke is heat going out the top. And then my father told me to turn the dampner down a 1/4 turn. But there's still white smoke going out the top and for me to keep the fire as hot as it says on the thermostat I feel like I'm burning through wood way too fast. Any one got any advice on this? Sigh. :(

Comments (2)