SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesliesl

Need help with my living room.

SELU DESIGN
10 years ago
I need help with myliving room. My style is more modern than anything else, but I also like to have a cozy environment. My house is all white but the bedrooms. I would like to keep it that way unless you suggest something better. Neutral colors are my favorites. I love gray. My friend helped me pick those blue chairs but I don't know if I want to keep them or maybe move them into the lilttle room. My curtains are all white. Please, please I need lots of ideas. Thanks!!!

Comments (265)

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I agree with moving chrome and glass tables. I like the simplicity. I think it could be even more simple with the round table on the right side of the sofa. No tables needed at chair sides. # 3 and move round table.

Drinks can go on the coffee table. I like less.

My opinion, it's always good design to repeat shapes, color, style in a room as found in your art repetition of geometrics,. Circles, squares, rectangles, patterns and solids with geometrics and styles mixed in a room make a room very interesting.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Accessories, I really like pic # 2. great balance and color. I wouldn't put too much orange on the table. Artwork is the star! The orange book is perfect. Just the small amount of color needed. The black keeps the table grounded. I think I mentioned before, you don't need much help from us. You do so well !!!
  • Related Discussions

Need help my my living room

Q

Comments (2)
    What are the dimensions of the room? Can you sketch a floor plan of the room showing window and door placements? Better to post this question on the Home Decorating forum, which has more traffic, but please include more info.
    ...See More

Need help with my living room layout 19ft length and 11 feet wide

Q

Comments (2)
    Do you have a floor plan? Are you just trying to decorate the area behind the columns? The TV is too high and it needs a console underneath it to ground it. Does the cord from the AC have to hang down like that?
    ...See More

Need help with my living room furniture

Q

Comments (13)
    A couple of notes: The blue trim around the fireplace is not working for the room . I understand why it's not white, but the blue doesn't work. I've tried a color pulled from the tile and also black, but I'm not sure about those either. I guess I don't know why the brown mosaic was selected. Here is a suggested layout for the room. I don't know how many you want to seat but here is an option. Part of the problem in your room currently is that the area rug is not the correct size. IMO 8x10 is required for this room You mentioned MCM style so the rugs below were selected with that in mind.
    ...See More

Desperately need help with my living room!!

Q

Comments (24)
    Here is the pic of the radiator behind the sofa :) And this is the new dining table (painted and waxed by myself ^_^ ) Picking up some lovely new dining chairs tomorrow for it (the current one's are falling apart) @misecretary - Yes, the stairs lead to the bathroom and bedroom area (but those are challenges for future me). There is a door, but unfortunately, because we rent the place, we can't alter fixtures :/ Okay, so my new tasks are: a) Bigger sideboard/console table to hide the radiator. b) Flip sofa to the other side, and TV under the stairs. c) Baskets in cuppy holes. d) Will move the mirror over to the other side of the wall. e) A larger picture over the sofa. f) Buy plumper cushions and a more colorful throw :D I think that's everything? @lydcrafts my partner takes it out when cooking, as it's right next to the hole in the wall, there's no actual way to stop the smoke and the alarm is the most sensitive thing we have. Don't worry though, we always put it back after :)
    ...See More
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Pillows, I like the original orange pillow as it is appears as soft coral rather than strong orange. I would get one very similar to that one or an exact match. The blue one slightly overlapping the right orange pillow. No other pillows needed.
  • PRO
    SELU DESIGN
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you!!! I can't never thank you enough. The only thing left is the orange pillow, and maybe decide about the rug. want to get the same one but bigger. Should I still get the other curtains? I know Grover said to leave them like that but I think they need more visible weight. They also look cheap as someone said. Can you guys help me with the dinning room? What chairs will go well here and what color rug? And also looking for a nice sideboard. LB I always wait for your post because you and I have similar taste. :)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    'leslie' Thanks so much! It's not so much that we have similar taste believe it or not. I "love" many styles and your's is one of the many! I'm trying to do my best to understand the houzzer's taste. My personal style varies and changes once in awhile. My style is determined, like so many other people, by what I can change financially and what I love for myself. I put myself in your shoes. I've been working with who 'you' are! I think that's a big part of what a designer needs to be. Thanks for your 'trust' in me. It means more to me than anything else !!!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    'leslie' maybe it would be less confusing to all us houzzers, if you posted a separate dilemma for the dining room? Start fresh. The threads get very very long. LOL
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    leslie, I agree with LB about starting a new discussion for the dining room. It will be way more focused and won't have latecomers giving advice on the living room along the way.
  • PRO
    SELU DESIGN
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes LB agreed. My style changes too. One thing I love about this site the most is that everyone gives so many interesting/ beautiful ideas that you don't even know what to do with them. I will see you guys in my next dilemma, and trust me I have MANY ;)
  • magspag
    10 years ago
    Have read all posts. Like original style rug but larger. Like rearranged paintings and lamp. Can play with cushions and items on table. Only significant change you are thinking of that I would encourage is curtains. Your current curtains, at least in the photos look a little prissy and mean. You like white and you have dramatic paintings for focus so I think white curtains of more volume in an interesting texture and luxurious fabric: silk, solid or sheer or linen or velvet. Quietly dramatic if that is not oxymoronic.
  • PRO
    SELU DESIGN
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Magspag. Will get new curtains.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    My main recommendation for new curtains is get the type with no grommets. Too industrial and I think they cheapen the look of drapes.
  • PRO
    SELU DESIGN
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks. Any recommendation where can I get beautiful and affordable curtains?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    JCPenny Anna's Linens in California and online.
  • missym49
    10 years ago
    Absolutely stunning. I still like the orange panels on the side of the white curtain but can see why you like keeping them white. To go with the dining area. I would just get good quality lined white linen pleated drapery. Save all the pillows and change them with your mood. Glad you moved the circular tables. Love the blue chairs.
  • ottolino
    10 years ago
    Proportion and visual weight are so important, but nothing is as compelling to the eye as contrast. Photograph your room in black and white, and you will see dark and light shapes rather than color. Here lies the strength or weakness of your design. The contrast of floor and too small rug will always destroy any other solution you propose. Focus on the art. The curves in the large painting are echoed in the curves of the blue chairs. Play that up by giving them a large enough neutral background so they are seen. Simple, FULL, white drapes from floor to ceiling, and a big, simple, white rug will allow the art to shine. Don't clutter the space with accessories. Don't buy something just to have an object on the table. I assume you purchased the art because you love it. Purchase accessories the same way. Don't set a deadline or you will cheapen the look you already have in the art. Take time, and look for accessories in the same places you might look for art. Find something that tells a story about you. Shop museum stores, and find an inexpensive rattle, if you are interested in music. Or find a set of colored blocks that relate to the paintings. Get some fun and playfulness and relaxation into this very stiff room. You have children - use accessories they and others can have some fun with. You have a nice clean look and some very strong pieces. Now, relax.. It's not color you need to add, your personality. Add life and fun, and the room will come alive.
  • ottolino
    10 years ago
    (oops) It's not color you need to add, it's your personality.
  • ottolino
    10 years ago
    Regarding the console - don't spend money on a replacement. The one you have is fine. It is light, like your other pieces and like the spindles on your stair bannister. However, the console top appears to visually merge with the painting, and it is this that gives the console an unsubstantial feel. Change this visual perception by creating a clear, white line between the painting and the console top. You can do this two ways. First, remove some of the objects from the console surface and perhaps display them on the coffee table. You must have them there because you enjoy looking at them, so enjoy some of them elsewhere. The dark objects presently serve to visually connect the table legs to the painting, creating one indistinguishable visual unit because there is an almost solid lineup of objects across the console surface. Keep a few items there, not all of them. Again, photograph the arrangement in black and white, and you will see what I mean - the dark lines of the legs rise up through the globe and picture frame right up into the painting. It's almost as if the painting has legs and is about to walk across the room. Perhaps keep the 3 lighter ceramic objects near their present location on the right side of the console, and remove all the darker objects to other locations. A bit of assymetry would serve as a nice counterpoint to the formal symmetry created by furniture on the opposite side of the room. And leaving white space on all sides of the painting would focus attention where you want it - on the painting. If removing the dark items does not create a wide enough visual break, you may need to also raise the painting a few inches so that the light wall forms a clear break between its dark shape and the shape of the dark table legs.

By the way "GOOD art doesn't match your couch", as the saying goes. Unlike most, you have not fallen into that trap, which indicates a strong design sense. You have created a very strong statement in your choices - a clean, spare, almost "gallery" look. Adding "visual clutter" in the form of dark, detailed, or enclosed furniture, such as a console of drawers, or several unrelated objects on a console, will take you in a completely different direction. The strength of your design relies on contrast, and proportion. Focus on that.
  • Adrianne
    10 years ago
    I mentioned barrel because the height of the sofa.. You have a lot of horizontal lines in the house.
    The sitting height of the chairs looks a lot higher than the couch. I just think when everyone is sitting down everyone should be at the same height.
    I do like the placement of the winged parsons chairs looking center on the left and right of the couch because it kind of frames the couch. The lamp has a similar line as the back of the chair and that is pleasing as well.
  • PRO
    SELU DESIGN
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi.. I am back. Ottolino thanks sooooooo much for that great feet back. I would definitely take all your great ideas and work on them. Now I am trying to connect this room with the dinning room can you help me? Here are some pictures even though I opened another dilemma page for the dinning room somehow got lost in the way. :( I need to keep the dinning table. I am looking for chairs, sideboard, a new rug, accessories, etc. thanks in advance.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Hi,
    Colour blast · More Info

Safavieh Mercer Collection Eva Linen Dining Chair With Nailhead Trim, Gray · More Info

Swirl Print Parsons Dining Chair - Set of 2 · More Info

Razz Print Parsons Dining Chair - Set of 2 · More Info

HENRIKSDAL Chair · More Info

Currey and Company Garbo Chair · More Info
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    Love the Garbo chair!
  • PRO
    SELU DESIGN
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi, LB I don't know if I am Crazy about any of those chairs :(
  • Ducktuck
    10 years ago
    I love the color of the blue chairs, but I don't love the high back with your modern room. I think a lower profile chair would fit better with the room, and the couch, and it wouldn't obscure as much of the window view if you decide to keep the chairs facing the window/couch. Aside from that I think you can really arrange the room however feels most comfortable. Here are some chairs for thought. These all have much lower profiles than your current chairs. They are all from West Elm.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I posted the chairs for the dining room. I like the garbo chair but expensive. Goes great with dining table.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    anisa, sorry to say, but she's looking for dining chairs, the living room is already planned, that's on this post :)
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    These come in either faux white alligator, wet silver or the black alligator w silver back leg detail:
    http://www.doortodoorfurnishings.com/images/dining_room__furniture/Sky_Dining_Chair_in_Silver_-_Set_Of_Two_01.jpg
  • vickishaub
    10 years ago
    how about acrylic chair, a white sideboard and this rug

Notting Hill · More Info

http://houzz.com/photos/788170
    http://www.rugs-direct.com/ShopDetail/Details/156286/Surya/Nuage/NUA1006/LightGrayTaupeOffWhiteBrown

then you can bring in some blue accents similar to the chairs in the LR as accents
  • Ducktuck
    10 years ago
    I can't tell what color your table is but here are some chairs I found on overstock :)
  • Ducktuck
    10 years ago
    and more.
  • Ducktuck
    10 years ago
    more :)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Found these
    DwellStudio for Robert Allen · More Info
    Bay Trading Alexis Arm Chair In Ivory · More Info
  • PRO
    VC Living
    10 years ago
    Your idea of interior designing is really worth appreciating. You're furnishing your house like a Pro. Great work! I guess, you may like these furniture for your decoration.
  • ottolino
    10 years ago
    A few questions:
    What color/finish is on your kitchen cabinets?
    It appears the dining table has a brushed "silvery" metal finish. is this correct?
    Is the dining table top smoked glass? Other than metal and glass, are there any other materials in the table?
    Where would you propose to locate the sideboard and why do you want it - for serving alone? For storage, and how much? Will you need a console or a hutch? What approximate size will it need to be to serve your needs? Do you intend to display a painting or other objects above a console hutch, and if so which ones? Photos and a rough sksetch of the room with dimensions would be helpful as you certainly don't want the sideboard in an unuseful or akward position as it relates to traffic flow and serving.
    How you use the room comes before design. Once you have decided WHERE items can fit, and how they will be used, you can easily narrow the scope of your search. The design must be considered as a whole, rather than as individual pieces with which you fall in love. This is where people make costly mistakes.
  • ottolino
    10 years ago
    Keep in mind that you may use a piece of furniture as a sideboard that was never designed to be a sideboard. There are wonderful pieces that would tie into the colors and shapes of your art. Are you looking for an investment piece that could be repurposed elsewhere in the home as your needs and tastes evolve, or are you looking at a quick, inexpensive piece to serve for now, and which you can replace later as your financial situation changes? Would you consider a "pre-owned" piece? Would you consider commissioning a piece made by a local artist? Many commissioned pieces, if of simple design, can be less expensive than department store sideboards, which are usually nondescript, if not downright horrible. Injecting a piece of furniture into this room that speaks to the art would be electrifying - it would be a unifying element to draw the 2 rooms and their artwork together. But you need to decide HOW you need to use the sideboard before we come to that step. And solving the sideboard design, if it is to be featured, rather than merging into the background, will affect your choice of chairs. Keep in mind that selecting chairs first will limit your design options throughout the room. You have far more chair choices than sideboard or rug choices.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    lesliesl YOU MAY WANT TO .... LINK .... THE 'NEW DILEMMA POSTING' TO THE DINING ROOM SINCE YOU ARE DONE WITH LIVING ROOM - IT'S TOO CONFUSING FOR US HOUZZERS. EVERYONE THINKS YOUR DILEMMA IS THE ... PICS ABOVE .... tell us that you started the new dilemma and copy the dilemma post PLEASE. You can state that this one is closed and direct us to the new one PLEASE. Sorry, :))

This is a finalyzed dilemma. Am I right 'leslies' ?
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Well, these last posts are all for your dining room, but still a good idea; I gathered from your earlier post that you had given up on your separate dining post, so didn't seek it out last night. Others seem to have followed suit. Pack it up, fellow posters, we're moving!
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    I've bumped the dining room discussion with the most responses. You may want to delete or notate redundancy on your others,lesliesl.
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    10 years ago
    Love the space your style is amazing I would recommend changing the drapery. I would recommend a grey silk factric it will really add alot to the room.

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels.html
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    All this language above makes no sense as to what is happening. They seem to be opinions but no directive has been put in place as to leaving this post for a new post.
  • Nancy Laverde
    10 years ago
    Gorgeous!!!!
  • PRO
    SELU DESIGN
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    How can I link this page to the new dilemma? Just by coping and paste? Like I said I opened a new page for the dinning room and I can't even find it myself. :( let me try again.
  • Emily H
    10 years ago
    Hi Leslie, If you go to your profile page and click the discussions tab, you can find all your past discussions there, If you would like to share this thread there, just copy and paste the url for the discussion page in a comment on your other discussion. Hope that helps!
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    Hope I can find your new thread.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    bevballew, click on lesliesl's name to her profile, and follow her discussion history. I will bump it.
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    Thank you! Will try now!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Lesliesl, here is the link provided by 'grover' to the dining room. Please cancel all the others thanks. :) too confusing for all of us!

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/me-again-with-my-dining-room-dilemma-dsvw-vd~501092
  • PRO
    SELU DESIGN
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I cancelled all the thread and left the one Grover suggested. I will answer questions in my new thread for the dinning room dilemma. Sorry for the confusion. :(
  • PRO
    Groovywares.com
    10 years ago
    Try a steel or silver colored metal sculpture from the 1960's to add more dimension and keep with that groovy theme. Lots of vintage handmade metal sculptures can be found at groovywares.com
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    Just checking in.
  • PRO
    RebeccaBothFineArts
    12 days ago

Hi there I saw your post and I do a lot of black and white and gray paintings I thought I would let you see if you’re interested in it!