SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yoyobon_gw

OT.....British cult 1950's TEDS

yoyobon_gw
6 years ago

Reading The Art Of Keeping Secrets ( takes place in 1954 ) and the main character notes her mother's dread of her bringing home a Teddy Boy.

Can I compare the Teddy Boys of that time to our Greasers ?

After doing a quick google I think that they probably had the same rebellious edge but instead of jeans and black leather they were better dressed !!

http://subcultureslist.com/teddy-boys/

Comments (5)

• vee_new
    6 years ago

yoyo, 'Teds' had a terrible reputation when I was a child, especially as in the mid-50's teenagers usually dressed just like their parents. Mostly working class/blue collar youths with enough spending money to 'waste' on fancy clothes. They had a reputation for violence . .. bicycle chains often being the weapon of choice . . . and hung about in gangs. Often they were very pale and skinny (or weedy as we say in the UK) so this culture gave them some kudos among females. Not unlike the punks of the next generation but probably without the drugs.

BTW I recently was looking at some photos at a neighbours and was surprised to see a picture of her father, now a kindly elderly grandfather, dressed à la Ted with greaser overtones, slicked back oily hair, winklepicker shoes and a motor bike.

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What are winklepicker shoes ?

• vee_new
    6 years ago

Winklepickers are shoes with very pointy toes. Before they came into fashion many Teddy boys wore shoes with thick crepe soles, not unlike the suede variety that were known as brothel creepers.

• annpanagain
    6 years ago

The Teds in my town were indeed dressy. They had an Edwardian style which gave them the nick-name. I don't remember they were as violent as the Mods and Rockers gangs.

Winkle pickers were a dreadful style for women's feet. They bunched the toes and have given podiatrists a field day now! As I had long broad feet I couldn't wear them and I am so thankful!

I am out of my podiatrist's office in ten minutes after she has trimmed my nails!

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

What interesting names you have for these shoe styles !

We had the pointed toe shoes here for women for a time and I think the podiatrists got rich removing bunions !