SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tira_misu

Tira_Misu's kitchen reveal (2 years later...)

tira_misu
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello every one.

It's been so long!

Almost 2 years ago I submitted my kitchen layout on this forum and got a lot of great advices from you. Here's the link to our discussion. http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3701773/help-with-kitchen-layout?n=29

Anyway, we got the keys to our house on May 31st, started demo the fallowing week and finally had a finished kitchen by Halloween. Yes friends, it took almost 5 month for this small kitchen to be completed. (In the meantime baby#3 arrived and we made it through the summer thanks to our dark dishwasherless basement kitchen).

I've been meaning to "stage" the kitchen before revealing it but after a year I came to accept the fact that it'll be another 15 years before I can stage a room properly. So here are the best pictures I was able to take after a quick and rare tidy up!

But before, here are a few printscreens of the old kitchen as it was in the listing:

Sorry for the eye sore! But now see how it's changed!
Here's a close up on the backspalsh. The photo doesn't do it justcie it is much prettier in RL.
What we see when we come from the dining room through the butler's pantry.
What I see when I come from the walk-in pantry.

So adjacent to this kitchen space were the butler's pantry and the pantry pantry.

We didn't do much in the butler's pantry except change the counter top which was way overdue. We originally wanted to bring the cabinets back to their original glory but our cabinet maker pointed out so many flaws about their quality to the point where restauring them didn't make sense at all. We will, one day, replace them with something almost identical.

Now here is how the walk-in pantry turned out like:

The cabinets on the left were already there. Again, we didn't change anything except for the new counter top. The right side where you see the fridge is all new. We used Ikea cabinets for that part and are very happy with it. I really like that little room. It is very convinient and right next to my prep and cook area. The top of the microwave is my "office space" where I charge my phone and accumulate papers, recipes, grocery lists, etc.

All in all, we are soooo happy with this kitchen. I have so much more storage that a few shelves are empty here and there (time will fix this "problem", I know). We really like the wood (oak) stain and the overall look of the kitchen. I'm enjoying and taking advantage of my non-open-concept-kitchen every night while cooking dinner. Those island stools not only look uncomfortable, they are! And that was the point all along (I get distracted and annoyed when people linger in the kitchen for too long, plus I want a seat too at some point!).

The only small deception we have, and I feared it was going to be so, is the size of the island. It is only 54''x39'' and we thought that was all we could squeeze in. It really leaves 44'' between the side of the island and the dishwasher, which is more than plenty for us. I wish the island was 6'' longer and that isle 6'' shorter.

And one last thing is that this kitchen needs some finishing touches in terms of decor. That light fixture above the island is temporary (from Ikea folks) and the walls are still empty dreadfully waiting for some arts to dress them.

This house turned out to be really great and we love the first floor's layout. We worked on the landscaping this summer and will attack the one and only bathroom on the second floor next year.

Again, thanks for all your help and giving me the confidence to go through this project without consulting a "real" kitchen designer!

Comments (29)