SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahren_osterbrink

Which house wrap to make it through a winter

ahreno
6 years ago

Ok, i know this isn't ideal.
I'm building my own home in northern california. I have it framed and sheated but winter is here and theres no way i can stucco or roof it this year.
On the roof, i put down a layer of 15lb tar paper and will probably end up putting some 6 or 8mil plastic over the top, not too worried about this.

My question is more regarding the walls. they're sheated with OSB. My plans call for Class D building paper which from my research doesn't sound like it will hold up very well to repeated moisture. Ideally, I would put something up that would allow me to set my windows and not have to reset them again.

I figure i can do one of the following (open to any suggestions other than the obvious "get it sided ASAP").

1. Install grade D building paper, install windows and hope for a dry winter.

2. Install grade D building paper, install windows and install some plastic either hanging off the eaves or right over the building paper

3. Skip grade D and install a cheap 15lb tar paper, install windows (and potentially uninstall/reinstall before stucco next year?)

other ideas? A stucco guy i spoke to suggested tyvek but in my research that seems like a bad idea since you dont stucco over tyvek and its not supposed to be exposed for very long.

Comments (25)