SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keroth77

Which pendant arrangement looks better over the island?

beth
6 years ago

Please help, this is driving me nuts! So the issue is that the attached island (peninsula) is 80 inches long, which is 6 inches shorter than the back row of cabinets + microwave behind it. Therefore, if we center the pendants based on the peninsula itself, then the pendants appear wonky in relation to the sight lines of the microwave (which we are replacing with a nice hood).

So Question 1: Is it better to center the two pendants around the microwave for sight line reasons or to center precisely over the peninsula? Which is the lesser of two evils? See photos #1 and #2, taken directly facing the microwave at center.

Question 2: Can we avoid the wonky sight lines by using 3 smaller pendants to create a better sense of balance? Or is 3 looking too crowded in our small kitchen? We wanted to do bowl/bell shaped pendants. We can't really spread 3 out any more due to the proximity of the wall, which we may choose to put a shelf on. So which looks better - 2 large (10 or 12 inch dia) or 3 small (6 inch dia)? See photo #3 (centered on peninsula) and #4 (centered around microwave).

Thanks, friends!!

p.s. please ignore the existing pendants

1 - two centered over peninsula (12" balloons, holes spaced 40 inches apart)

2 - two centered around microwave/hood (12" balloons, holes spaced 37 inches apart)

3. three centered over peninsula (6 inch balloons, holes 14" apart)

4. Three centered around microwave (6" balloons, holes spaced 18" apart)

Comments (50)

• PRO
    Carol Jean
    6 years ago
    Number two
    beth thanked Carol Jean
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Two pendants, centered over the peninsula. It doesn't matter about the microwave...
    beth thanked Melissa Gallagher
  • Related Discussions

Pendant lights over island

Q

Comments (5)
    Instead of ordering, returning, reordering, etc. blow up balloons to the size pendants you are consdiering and tape them on strings from the ceiling. It will give you a great visual of what your sightlines will be and if you will want two or three, what size, length. I found my pendants to be the hardest decision of anything I did in the whole kitchen!
    ...See More

Pendant Lighting over Island....again, another 40" x 99"

Q

Comments (12)
    Ok - going with 2 fixtures at 16” apiece - if I space them 24” apart that’s 20” from center of island each (24/2)+(16/2) correct - leaving 21.5” between the edge of the island and the edge of the fixture? Sound right? Should I just divide it in 3rd’s and move them slightly closer together? Or closer to the edge for better lighting coverage? Am I splitting hairs?
    ...See More

Question about Pendant lights over a 10' x 5' Island

Q

Comments (18)
    You could do 3 pendants that are 12-14" in diameter above an island that size. We are also planning a tin look ceiling and have chosen "Vintage Metal" as it looked best with our brushed nickel lighting fixture. I suggest ordering samples in each of the silver finishes so you can visualize how your metals look together. We were surprised with the one that looked best and I might have overlooked the option otherwise.
    ...See More

Do the 2 pendants or the 3 look better over this island? (mockup pics)

Q

Comments (21)
    Ok, one more. I just saw these milk glass dome pendants. They looked like they would put out a nice soft, non-directional light! They are very similiar to the ones @JustMe posted except for allowing light all around. They are 14". I'm still hesitant about the closed light (those bugs always find their way in) but have been thinking about RL's comment about enough light. The only problem with these is I can only find them on Restoration Hardware for about $400 each, which DH may choke on for a light! lol, we'll see. I think I've narrowed it down to these and the "rope" light above which I would have to modify to get looking how I want (no rope and slightly darker stained wood).
    ...See More
  • lefty47
    6 years ago

HI -- It should not matter about lining up with what is behind . I am not a fan of having lights hanging down in a small kitchen . Very visually cluttered looking with lots of things hanging form the ceiling . You could solve the problem by having one long fixture like a lighting bar . I think pot lights would look better .

beth thanked lefty47
  • Bruce Crawford
    6 years ago
    I like No. 2 where centers of balloons are in line w/ the center of the uppers that brace the u-wave. I don't even notice the off-center w/ peninsula. I'm a symmetry guy, & zig-zag lines drive me nuts. The ones where balloons off-center w/ uppers is a distraction to me. I think 3 pendants are too many for that narrow of a peninsula.
    beth thanked Bruce Crawford
  • simstress
    6 years ago
    Option 2 and add the shelf if you want
  • Pam
    6 years ago

Option 2 is much better, at least when viewing from the position the photo is taken from. Can't even really tell from photo that they aren't centered over peninsula, whereas the misalignment with the line of the cabinet seam in option 1 is immediately obvious. (I have a similar situation in another room, and it bugs me.) Not sure if the slight asymmetry over peninsula will bother you when working there, but if you do add that shelf you may find that it balances out the lighting placement. Good luck!

beth thanked Pam
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    I would do 2 but long and narrow. Brushed nickel would frame view very nicely. Or narrow glass ones.
    beth thanked Flo Mangan
  • Mel
    6 years ago

My vote would be Number 2. Adding more than 2 for the island seems too crowded.

beth thanked Mel
  • geo55
    6 years ago
    I like two also-- but make them well sized! The small ones used in recent years look dated already. Larger lights make a statement. Two substantial Lantern style lights would look great there.
    beth thanked geo55
  • simstress
    6 years ago
    The drawer with the bar pull and cup pull is winking at me!

Which new pendants are you going with?
    beth thanked simstress
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    I'd do something plain and white...

These ikea pendants are new and also give light out the top, too.
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    I love the YHL ones, too
  • simstress
    6 years ago
    @Melissa- are the YHL lights at Shades of Light? There was another thread where someone was looking to source these same pendants.
  • Bruce Crawford
    6 years ago

I agree w/ Flo M. on lighting shape. My line of sight goes across our island much like yours does across your peninsula. I didn't want something huge, what our lighting designer calls the "Martha Stewart look", as she popularized it. I also didn't want glare bombs. We went w/ a mother-of-pearl cylinder w/ LED bulbs. The cylinder doesn't block line-of-sight so you don't have to bob your head around to talk to someone on the other side, and the mother-of-pearl gives a translucence w/o the glare. The LED's produce almost no heat, and are energy efficient. Ours are on an LED-rated dimmer so make for nice mood lighting, if you will, when turned down. Flo's example was crackle glass, which would have a similar effect.

• Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Simstress, yes. She wanted them in a matte finish...

I think they are really cool...
  • simstress
    6 years ago
    @Melissa - Agreed they are cool. If I hadn't just installed lights this year, then I'd consider these.
  • Teresa Tremblett
    6 years ago
    Definitely number two
    beth thanked Teresa Tremblett
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    I think you need something larger...If you go small or skinny or whatever it will just look kind of Blah...

Go bold or larger, make a statement....if that is what you want to do...
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

I agree the current trend is toward fewer, larger pendants, however, you do have to consider your space and pendants that are too large are going to not be the best look IMO. Open types like open lanterns can work, if that is look you want. You have used a good method for checking with the balloons. btw, they are too high! Make sure the electrician leaves extra wire so if you need them lower (they always hang them too high!) you can get them lowered. Extra chain as well, just in case.

beth thanked Flo Mangan
  • suzyq53
    6 years ago

I'd consider 4 pendants for each panel on the peninsula where you could put four stools centered on each light.

beth thanked suzyq53
  • beth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks, everyone. We decided on two pendants with centering around the microwave/ future hood sight lines, which will also allow room for an upper cabinet or shelf. We also liked the idea of white pendants (had not considered before this post), and not overly large to dominate the space or block sight lines when up close. But, the good news is we can always change out the pendants if we decide we don't like them. The key issue was deciding on 2 or 3 holes in the ceiling! We are starting out with these 8" ones but we'll see how it goes... cheers!

• Bruce Crawford
    6 years ago

Beth, those are gonna be beautiful! What kind of bulb do they use?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Great choice! Can't wait to see finished product!

beth thanked Flo Mangan
  • beth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Bruce - these will use LED bulbs.

• Bruce Crawford
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Beth, ours use LEDs, too. Love'em. Just make sure you use dimmers rated for LEDs. I didn't know about there was a difference & the first dimmers I bought weren't. When the electrician installed them, he showed me the flicker the incandescent rated dimmer caused. I got correct ones & they don't flicker.

• acm
    6 years ago

Where is your sink? I ask only because if your sink is in this island, then you will want lighting centered over it, no matter what is going on behind. You could do a can with pendants on either side, or three smaller pendants, but I wouldn't just flank the sink. If the sink is somewhere else, then ignore this comment entirely. Amazed that nobody has asked though!!

beth thanked acm
  • beth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello again, folks! So we are currently in a debate over which of the following two pendant sizes to keep. We will be returning one of them. Would you guys mind helping me out one more time with this decision? The first is a 7 inch diameter pendant, the second is 12 inch diameter. Pros and cons to each style, but I have no clue which works better in the space. Holes are 36" apart, so the big shades are only 24" apart. 7" shades are 29" apart. Is there a clear winner? peninsula countertop will be 80 inches by 41 inches... Thank you!!! (I might start a brand new post for this as well...)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Larger for sure!

beth thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Hang a bit lower too. Maybe 2-3". I see they are on "posts" so do what you can to get them slightly lower. If they are head knockers then you have to deal with that feature as well. But I definitely prefer the larger pendants.

beth thanked Flo Mangan
  • Bruce Crawford
    6 years ago

As often as I agree w/ Flo, I like the smaller ones better, not only for size but also for the bell shape.

• Brenda
    6 years ago

Bigger is better!

beth thanked Brenda
  • suzyq53
    6 years ago

I'm with Bruce. I usually like bigger, but I like the bell shape. Is there a bigger bell?

beth thanked suzyq53
  • hatetoshop
    6 years ago

For what it's worth, I like the smaller pendants.

beth thanked hatetoshop
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Haha! Guess you can do whatever you like best. Either will work.
    beth thanked Flo Mangan
  • S N
    6 years ago
    I like the bell shape but the larger ones look better in the space to my eye.
    beth thanked S N
  • Katie Velliky
    6 years ago
    I’m going to be the outlier here and say I like #4 better. I like groups of three better than pairs and I think it looks cleaner in that space.
    beth thanked Katie Velliky
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    The 12 inch looks better.
  • PRO
    Napanee Design Ltd.
    6 years ago

The smaller pendants look great!

beth thanked Napanee Design Ltd.
  • beth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks again guys. I guess I'll mention my specific concerns and maybe someone can help address them? :-) Maybe they are non-issues!

I much prefer the style of the smaller one, they seem more modern and unique and keep the small space looking open. However, I WISH they were 2 inches or so bigger. (these are the only sizes.) The only concern is that they are too small for the space. Is that a legit concern or am I overthinking? Do they look weird in the space or a normal size?

For the wider ones, they definitely fill the space better, but my concerns are:

1. they look stumpy since the rods are short (18" from ceiling) and the bowl is so wide. The rod can only be extended in increments of 6 inches. So unfortunately they are stuck at that height. I am 5'8" so 6 inches lower is impossible.

2. They are too close to each other (24" between the bowls. I read that 30" was more ideal spacing between bowls.)

3. It is too close to the wall? The edge of the wide shade is only 18" from the wall. I originally intended to put a shelf there to fill the dead space on the wall. Do peninsulas look weird with dead wall space above them? Do I need to put a shelf there? If so, a 12" shelf would be 6" from the edge of the wide shade.

Please let me know what you think! thanks!

• beth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This photo perhaps captures my stumpy concern... The two lights next to each other show that the smaller one is a bit longer and hangs lower.... (1-2"). is it not a big deal or does the wide one look stumpy? thanks!

• Bruce Crawford
    6 years ago

I still like the smaller one better. I like its size & shape, plus it has the metal rim around the bottom that sort of dresses it up a bit, to me.

• beth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Flo Mangan - knowing that the wider shades cannot be lowered, do you still favor them over the smaller shades, which hang 1-2 inches lower? (How big a deal is the height?) The large ones definitely have more glare in my eyes from above due to their height. thank you for your insights. :-)

• Bruce Crawford
    6 years ago

I can see metal rim on larger ones in last post now. I see what you mean about glare from them, too.

• Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Ok.

Which ones do YOU like better?
  • beth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Melissa - I prefer the shape of the smaller ones but I wish they were bigger. It was impossible to find a 9-10" shade that we liked, so now we have to choose between one that might be too small and one that might be too big, both of which have pros and cons. Trying to decide which is less of an issue - 1) large, close together, and too high or 2) too small and possible dinky for space. Thanks for the insights and suggestions!

• beth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, everybody! Very much appreciate the insight and the feedback. :-)

• Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Beth, who makes those lights?
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    9-10 inch lights
  • beth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

melissa - thanks for the photos. those are lovely but we were going for downward facing significant light output (not well lit kitchen) and also want a diffuser on the bottom to cut glare... we actually saw your third option online and really liked it, had to rule it out due to lack of diffuser. :-( The brand is Elk Lighting and our Chadwick style is only in 7", 12", and 16"... (they call it 8", 13", and 17"). thanks again! appreciate the ideas.