SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_42918661

Retro household cleaning products

User
6 years ago

I bought the Ultra Joy dishwashing liquid, The lemon scent reminds me of childhood. We did not get a dishwasher until I was in high school, and yes, we had to wash and dry dishes. I still hate washing dishes, but the lemon scent reminds me that yellow bottle with the picture of a lemon on it.

Do you still use a more "retro" household cleaning product, and do you remember any others that are no longer available?

Comments (59)

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Sta-Puf fabric softener

Oxydol, Fab, (would dearly love to have Oxydol back)

Cashmere Bouquet bath soap

Dawn Power Dissolver

I'm sure I'll think of more lol

Rita Euro Persil and Miele detergents are a few of my favs...I even love the scents..expecially Miele Ulta White

User thanked mamapinky0
  • socks
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Which one did Madge, or was it Marge?, use to keep her cuticles nice? Was it Palmolive?

I still use Fels Naptha bars. For real dirt, like filthy rags, it's only way to get them clean. You have to scrub though. It's a little hard on the fabric, but for rags, work clothing it's fine. I have no idea what's in it, maybe lye?

User thanked socks
  • Related Discussions

Thymol (as in CleanWell product) alternative to bleach

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi bernergrrl, I don't generally use bleach as a disinfectant. I wouldn't use it on any kitchen counters, cutting boards, or utensils, because if it's not safe to ingest internally, it's not going near food and I don't really like the idea of using it near caterpillars. I usually use straight distilled white vinegar, food grade hydrogen peroxide, or vodqa as disinfectants. I spray the caterpillar containers down well with vinegar and let it air dry; and clean tools, etc. with vodqa on a cotton pad. I was watching a show on the History Channel about making Tequila, and thought it was interesting that when they clean out the Tequila bottles before bottling, they rinse them out with none other than, Tequila.
    ...See More

Very cheap cleaning products

Q

Comments (3)
    There are two readily available household chemicals to stay away from- bleach and ammonia. And of course, never mix the two. Vinegar is a much better choice. Soap and water are great!
    ...See More

Clean quartz counter top and safely clean kitchen-need product

Q

Comments (6)
    Oh yeah, dilute it. It doesn't take but a drop or two. I hesitate to say that it will be safe on all painted surfaces, because that has more to do with the paint quality and how it was applied than it does the cleaning products used. If you have factory finished painted cabinets, then it will be fine. A microfiber cloth is the other magic ingredient. If you are having issues with grease in your kitchen anywhere other than around your immediate cooktop, the first thing to do is to address your venting. It's not adequate.
    ...See More

Retro Clean

Q

Comments (3)
    I have not. I'm interested, however. Let us know how it works if you buy it. Or, let us know which product you choose and how it works. I've seen some really nice quilts at estate sales lately. If they have any age at all, they tend to have brown spots on them. I didn't go to any estate sales this weekend, but intend to buy one (depending on it's condition and cost) and either try one of the most recommended products or cut it up and try several. bkay
    ...See More
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Fels-Naptha will remove any stain except grape. But its changed it used to have Naptha in it hence its name

Ivory dish soap..the real one as its formula changed a few years ago.

Socks all bar soaps use lye..I doubt there's a bar soap that doesn't. the Fels just wet the stain and gently rub the bar in. Red sauce will disappear almost like magic and only a buck a bar that will last a lifetime. Yep Palmolive had Marge.

Lux beauty soap

Sweetheart dish soap

Cherry almond Jergens

Snowy all fabric bleach

Ivory Snow powder and Ivory Flakes

FRESH START laundry detergent

User thanked mamapinky0
  • Marcy
    6 years ago

Barkeeper's Friend is stall just as amazing as when my Mamaw used it!! It cleans pots and pans, porcelain tubs and sinks, commodes....

User thanked Marcy
  • roxanna
    6 years ago

Morz -- I remember Glasswax!!!! Yes, the dry powder residue was a pain, but as kids we used stencils with it at Christmastime on the windows and had a blast. Funnily enough, a couple of years ago I wanted to find Glasswax so my young grands could do it... No luck. =(

User thanked roxanna
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    6 years ago

Does shampoo count?? I miss the original Herbal Essence Shampoo from the early 70's.

User thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • Michael
    6 years ago

Comet

Bon Ami

Barkeeper's Friend

Austin's

Lava hand soap

Gel Gloss works great on stainless appliances.

User thanked Michael
  • arkansas girl
    6 years ago

All the old shampoos and conditions! I miss them all, it just seems like they were so much better than what's on the shelves for sell nowadays.

User thanked arkansas girl
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Arkansas..do you remember that shampoo...*Gee your hair smells terrific*.

User thanked mamapinky0
  • greenshoekitty
    6 years ago

You know I don't see bars of Ivory soap any more. When we were kids for crafts we would carve it. We had to work hard to get reg hand soap tho as dad said the only soap you needed for your hands was lava. Not what three girls wanted.

User thanked greenshoekitty
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Ivory bars are still produced and still the same as it used to be.

User thanked mamapinky0
  • Elizabeth
    6 years ago

I loved Breck shampoo as a teen. Remember the full page ads with the Breck girls and their beautiful long wavy hair? I did not like Prell, it was too harsh. I remember it also came in a clear tube. There was Dippity-Do setting gel too.

User thanked Elizabeth
  • andreap
    6 years ago

I remember those hair products, also Lemon Up shampoo. I too liked the original green Herbal Essence. Dippity-Do--Yuck! I hated that smell. If I put product in my hair now I would be attacked by bugs while walking the dog or gardening. And how did my mom survive all that hairspray?

I still use Barkeepers Friend for cleaning, and Dawn, vinegar and baking soda.

I do have an old Fels Naptha bar. I think I'll use it to clean my floor mop pads. Thank for the tip.

User thanked andreap
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

As for the Fels. Its fine to rub on stains but I wouldn't be putting the bar in the washer.

User thanked mamapinky0
  • salonva
    6 years ago

Nice walk down memory lane. I find it is frequently the scent that really takes me back. I don't use spic n span but I so remember that smell growing up - as well as pine sol. Neither one is a super attractive scent but signal clean to me. I think that was all pre-dating the lemon fresh that we got used to?

I so remember Breck and the portraits on the back of many magazines.

I do like the tried and true cleaners but I have to confess I have tried bar keeper's friend and frankly I am missing what everyone else thinks is stellar about it.

I do love baking soda though...

• User
    6 years ago

I miss Oxydol laundry detergent. I loved that stuff!

User thanked User
  • User
    6 years ago

They still make Cherry Almond Jergens lotion: it's the Original scent that's out now. I have a bottle and the store I work at sells it.

User thanked User
  • User
    6 years ago

Vermont Country Store sells some brands from days gone by.

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/specialty-shops/category/brands-from-the-past

I've tried their Lemon Up shampoo, which I used to love the smell of, and the original Herbal Essence shampoo, which they sadly don't carry any more...

User thanked User
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Thanks Debby, I didn't know they still made that Jergens.

Pine Sol I think no longer has any pine oil in it.

And Spi and Span changed their formula a good while back its also nothing like the good old stuff.

User thanked mamapinky0
  • User
    6 years ago

I love PineSol! The original scent reminds of when we used to go camping and the campground peeps who cleaned the washrooms used it. But my husband doesn't like the smell, so I have to buy the lavender scented one. lol Every now and then I do buy the Pine scented one just because I roll that way. hahaha I found Spic and Span at a dollar store. It comes in small liquid bottles. I bought two. You're right, it's not the same but it does smell like I remember

User thanked User
  • User
    6 years ago

Dettol (yes we can still buy it, but the smell is definitely a memory reminder for me! We used it on the animals in the barns, and on our own injuries incurred on the farm/woodlot)

Nilodor - another "still on the market product", but it's all about the smell reminders for me! Worked in a roller rink, and every clod hopper pair of skates needed a spritz of Nilodor before they were shelved for the next lucky patron!

Resdan - Hair goop for men.. my step father had horrendous hat/hardhat hair which brought on the dandruff. He never "spruced up" without a dose of Resdan and a splash of Gillette aftershave.

Faberge Organics shampoo - Ohhhh the shine of a great shampoo for a rather oily headed teen!

Silvo - Silver polish as well as Brasso.. for brass of course!

Crabtree and Evelyn toilet waters and bath cubes..my first "grown up" scent for a young teen

Love's Baby Soft..see above LOL!

On another note, for some reason, growing up, we used powdered Tide as dish soap! Yes it clumped, and the dishes were as slippery as an eel if they weren't rinsesd off, and the foamy suds on top of a cup of freshly poured coffee OFTEN denoted when my brother had his turn at dishes.. he NEVER rinsed.. and rarely did dishes LOL.

Thanks for all the memories everyone! I can smell each and almost every one of them! :) Kym

User thanked User
  • Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

First three mentioned by country I've never heard of. I wonder if these were Canadian-only or if not, just products that didn't make it to the West Coast?

• terilyn
    6 years ago

Oh, I loved Glass Wax for shower doors! I still use Ivory soap for baths. Loves Baby Soft was a favorite. Still use comet, and Barkeepers Friend.

User thanked terilyn
  • User
    6 years ago

^^Elmer, it's likely that they're mainly Canadian products, although I was sure Dettol would be found around the world, for it's inexpensive, antibacterial, cleansing properties. Having looked into it, Dettol is available in India and Canada, so I was wrong in my thinking: "Dettol is a brand owned by RB (formerly Reckitt Benckiser), a British consumer products company. It markets the Dettol brand in Canada but not the US."

Nilodor's just a scent neutralizer and was toted to be antifungal (foot fungus mostly), scented rather like Pinesol in odour I suppose, product. The smell is immediately identifiable to those of us who've dealt with the product. Think along the lines of Listerine or bleach.. the odours ARE the product.. to a degree!

Resdan smells like an old time barber shop to me..I suppose along the lines of the blue stuff in the comb jars. "Resdan Dandruff Treatment is a quaternary ammonium compound used as a detergent and having powerful antiseptic properties, for sterilizing surgical instruments, cleaning wounds, etc."

User thanked User
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Somewhere in the back of my mind I want to say Cresol was removed from Lysol maybe late 50's or early 60's.

User thanked mamapinky0
  • marilyn_c
    6 years ago

This may not be as old as some of the products mentioned, but one I miss was Spray and Wash in the aerosol can. It was the best stuff ever to clean white side wall tires. I kept a can in the trunk of my car. Of course, cars now don't have white side walls, but in the '70's they did. I would take my car to the car wash, spray them and hit them with the wand used to wash the car, and they would be instantaneous white. The stuff in the pump spray can never worked nearly as well.

User thanked marilyn_c
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Yes but the active ingredient in brown bottle Lysol used to be Cresol same as Dettol..long while back.

User thanked mamapinky0
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Marilyn I also liked the old Spray and Wash aerosol. How bout the Spray and Wash Action Ball Tablets, they came in a pink box..I still have a box of them. Lol

User thanked mamapinky0
  • User
    6 years ago

Jhirmack shampoo. Smelled kinda like orange. Victoria Principal!

Phisoderm. So "scientific." It just had to get your face clean!

Pinaud after shave. They had it in airline night-flights kits. Saw it at Rite Aid recently.

Brut was there, too.

User thanked User
  • Ali
    6 years ago

I remember mom using Cheer, Oxydol and Ivory Snow Soap Flakes. Wish the original ones were still available today. Not a cleaner, but does anyone remember "A little dab will do ya - Brylcream?" Yuk! Don't miss that one at all even though it was popular for special occasions with my dad and uncles. For some reason I never liked it.

User thanked Ali
  • Elizabeth
    6 years ago

I remember being in grade school and there were a couple boys with dirty mouths. I saw the teacher jam a bar of Fels Naptha into a boy's mouth while leaning over a sink. He was gagging, chocking and spitting and teacher was scolding him. Even at a very young age I knew this was very wrong. Though commonly done in my school back then.

User thanked Elizabeth
  • User
    6 years ago

I keep 20 Mule Team Borax on hand for fleas, that's an old one. I also have Bon Ami and Barkeeper's Friend. I didn't know that Spic n Span was still around, my mom used that way back when, I'll have to try to find some, she seemed to like it. Yes I remember Breck shampoo, it was always too expensive for us. And then there was that hair cream in a tube and I can't remember the name but women used it to shine up their hair and it wasn't Brylcream it was something else.

User thanked User
  • tjkeen
    6 years ago

Does anyone remember bubble bath crayons? I seem to recall them as a kid you could draw all over yourself and the tub and they would come off. Then there was Mr Bubble, I think the ad went along the line of > you little varmint, you'll get so clean, your own mother won't recognize you. Anyone recall that or am I mistaken?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

rita, was it Alberto VO5?

We had coral colored Lifebuoy in the house which mother used to clean the remnants of dirty words from the mouths of her children.

I keep a bar of Fels Naptha in the laundry room for stains and it works so well. I do wear gloves because it is very caustic, but it no longer contains naptha.

I've used Dove Beauty Bar since I was a little girl, when it first came out. In the 5Os, my mother's doctor recommended it to her for dry skin and became a household fixture in her home and then mine. It's in my shower and next to my bathroom sink.

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

Wasn't the hair cream called Brillanteen? It had a lavender fragrance.

User thanked Elizabeth
  • lisaw2015 (ME)
    6 years ago

Not a cleaning product but my Gram used to buy me "That's My Girl" cologne from Stanley Home Products, I absolutely loved that scent. A few years ago, I was walking in a mall and swore I smelled it on a woman that passed me, I knew it couldn't possibly be but I wish I had stopped her to ask what it was. She (Gram) did buy alot of cleaning supplies from them, I loved helping her polish the real wood tables with that cream polish. Oh, and she also bought me Sweet Honesty from Avon & Love's Baby Soft too. I picked up some Love's a few years ago for my GD and it stunk so bad I threw it out!

And omg, yes, I would love to get my hands on some "Gee, your hair smells terrific"!

User thanked lisaw2015 (ME)
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Someone mentioned Borax. What exactly do you use it for? A laundry enhancer. I'm not even sure I've seen it in the stores around me. Also, I was thinking of Dutch Boy cleanser for some reason.

• User
    6 years ago

Rhizo, YES! Alberto VO5! Is it still around?? I never used it, I was a long-haired hippie and couldn't stand grease in my hair. Scott, Borax is a laundry booster. Not sure if it works, I just keep it around because it helps get rid of fleas in the house if you have them, although we've been lucky for quite a few years and haven't had a problem. It also repels other insects. If you suspect fleas, you sprinkle it all over the floors, let it sit for overnight and then vacuum. It desicates the eggs and babies.

• always1stepbehind
    6 years ago

Comet and PineSol. We used it at home and I still use it.

• always1stepbehind
    6 years ago

I tried the sensitive skin Dove on my face and it felt stripped. Didn't care for it. I used to use just plain ol' Ivory bar soap on my face...probably up until my mid to late twenties...Not sure how it would make my 50 yr old skin feel now :-) OMG Jhirmack shampoo!!! I forget about that!

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Scott. Borax can be used in the laundry as a booster. Some people have luck with it helping to remove odors. I'd go easy on it though..I mean its not as problematic as Sodium Carbonate (washing soda) but it still likes to remain in fibers. Just do an extra rinse if you use it.

Rhizo I remember Lifebouy being taken off the market do to cancer causing chrms or some bad chem but don't remember what...I used it as a child.

Remember Jean Nate..I think its still on the market and Tabu ..lol.

• ruobet55
    6 years ago

I miss Jubilee cleaning wax

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

When I was very young we used Sweetheart soap. It was a pink oval bar with an embossed floral design around the edge. It had a strong fragrance. Yes, the sweet, sweet old soapy smell. By my teens we used Dove or Yardley English Lavender.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Elizabeth. I have an old bar of Sweetheart bar soap and the box. Lol. Someone once gave it to me. I remember my mom buying this and Sweetheart dish soap often when I was a kid. It must have been a cheaper brand.

Ruobet. Jubilee was one of my favs. It sure could shine up white appliances.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

Does anyone remember Camay soap?

• User
    6 years ago

Well as I linked above, you can get Jubilee at the Vermont Country Store...And Bon Ami...Lifebuoy...

Camay, Walgreens has. Also Pears soap at the dollar shop.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

The Jubilees name was sold a good while back but not the formula..I think its different now..but I could be wrong on that.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

I think I did read Lifebuoy could be found but its different from the past...it used to contain phenol and doesn't anymore..not that we want phenol in our bath soap...but we did bath with it if we used it years ago.

• User
    6 years ago

Most stuff is different now due to regulations :(

• cynic
    6 years ago

Comet cleanser in the plastic dispenser. I have a few and refill them. I especially liked the little mini sized ones that came in a 3 pack and I'd spread them around so they were always handy. The paper cartons absorb moisture and cake up. I wish I had kept some of the little ones.

Cinch Glass and Surface cleaner. Was a great glass cleaner. I guess it's still made but not readily available.

I still like Joy dish detergent. $1 a bottle and it cleans as well as Dawn for me. It was recommended for use in cleaning the CPAP and Dawn was specified to not use on it. I like the smell. Like the color. Like the name. Like the memory of it for some reason but I don't really know why.

My sister was a big fan of Fresh Start. I never really got a thrill out of it.

White Rain Shampoo. The version I used was clear in a clear bottle. Don't recall which version but it's not made anymore. Could get it at Walgreens for about a buck a bottle and they often had 20% more promo bottles. That stuff only required about a pea sized dab to work and it did the job but alas, not available anymore. I have one bottle with about an inch left in it and that's it for White Rain. They seem to only make foo-foo versions. That stuff cleaned my hair better than any other shampoo.

Another shampoo was the old Breck. And I liked Prell in the tube. Was great for traveling. I refilled the tube for quite a while. Pack it in the bag and not worry about a mess.

Crest Lemon Ice toothpaste. The flavor was so good I noticed I brushed longer. Settled for the citrus flavor after Lemon Ice was discontinued but that's been discontinued now too. Why does everything have to be "mint"? And on the topic of oral cleaners, Malwart had an "Equate" mouthwash in a citrus flavor that was nearly half the price of Listerine. Recently discontinued too.

Mitchum aerosol deodorant. Best deodorant (/antiperspirant) I ever used and back when I had to wear suits and stuff I needed it.

I was under the impression that Dettol and Lysol were sister brands sold in different areas. If not, they must work together since several products seem to be the same, including their hands free soap dispenser.