SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ptangwai

How large do paniculatas grow in colder zones? (z5b - Toronto)

P TW
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I see many Paniculatas that I'd consider growing but I am always alarmed by the listed mature sizes because of my modestly-sized urban yard,

I do have a few but the oldest ones have only been in the ground 4 full years now in areas fairly exposed to winter and getting full sun (about 8 hours/day), and so I don't know if they are anything close to their mature size.

For example: Vanilla Strawberry listed as growing to 6-7 ft tall, 4-5 ft wide. Well, for me after 4 years it is 3.5 ft tall and almost 5 feet wide because of the flopping, so it grows more horizontally.

A Pinky Winky was planted right next to it at the same time. It is listed as growing 6-8 ft tall and wide. After 4 years it is 3.5 ft tall and 4 ft wide. So more upright, but still nothing close to the listed mature size.

I have a 4-year-old Quickfire in part sun (3-4 hrs/day) that is only 3 ft tall and wide. Again it was listed as growing to 6-8 ft tall and wide.

Should I expect these to keep getting bigger and bigger in years 5+? How large do you expect?

I have a spot near the VS where I would love to plant a paniculata that would grow to about 4-5ft tall and wide, but not knowing the actual mature sizes of these plants in my area I am hesitating.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor